Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Cheap (the book) Next Topic  

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Anyone read the book 'Cheap:The High Cost of Discount Culture' by Ellen Ruppel Shell? In her book she talks about the history of the shopping cart and how if you pick up one of the hand carry baskets store offer instead of taking a shopping cart, you will buy less. And her take on IKEA and Target (often pronounced as if its a French name) is very insightful. Because these two stores unlike Walmart, are stores that aim their ads to middle class Americans who want to be appear better than the Walmart shopper, yet many of the items these folks buy are made by sister companies that make items for Walmart. And I appreciate that she agrees with me <G> about buying quality over quantity.

Also reminded me of a comment I read in the new issue of Mary Janes Farm that even in this economic down turn those who know the value of whole organic foods are still buying healthy food and are not doing other things like going to movies, out to eat, vacations etc. And how many here have heard the proverbs that 'I'm to poor to be cheap'? ~Beth~

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  7:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Beth--I haven't read the book but I agree with its premise. I especially don't like to buy clothes that have been made in sweatshops in foreign countries--I try to but either fair trade (even if it costs more) or buy from a resale shop.Unfortunately, I live in a community where people are enamored of Wal-Mart and think Target and Kohl's are the Holy Grail of discount stores. Come Christmas, I tend to avoid the stores altogether. It's sad what passes for "wealth" around here--I knew a woman who was convinced that she was "rich" because she bought a TV to put in her four-year-old's bedroom. I think true wealth comes from not being attached to the things of this world. I have ten-year-old twin nephews (whose parents are extremely well-off) who think I'm weird because I hardly ever watch TV. It's sad to see young kids infected with the bug of consumerism.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  06:43:47 AM  Show Profile
I haven't read the book, I'm pretty thrifty, but I work with a group of girls who will go to Walmart every day lik it is entertainment. They eat at McDonald's daily but have no money for medicine. I don't get that! The other thing is, they buy their kids soooo much stuff all the time, so what do the kids have to look forward to? They also did not know you can make pie from a real pumpkin, they thought it had to come from a can!
I try to set an example, I don't ever shop at Walmart, and give my valid reasons, or that I always grow most of my food, but it hasn't sunk in. Some one did say once, that if their was a nuclear disaster, she and her kids were headed to my house....too late!!
I agree with you Beth, I was born in the wrong era. Happy Thanksgiving, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  09:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yuck! I shudder to think of a TV in my child's bedroom! We do have one in the house but that is it. I hope that we never have more than one. I do shop at Wal-Mart because around here the only clothing shops that aren't discount stores are either huge chains too (Old Navy etc) or super expensive. I just can't pay $75 for a shirt. I do shop the thrift stores like crazy and have gotten good deals there but it's always hit or miss. I grow a garden but did horribly this year. I am hoping that next year will be better.

I think it is important to pick and choose your battles. Find things that work with your budget but also make you feel good as a person. For example the other day I HAD to get some new pants. I had worn the seat off of my other pair. So after checking my local thrift shop I found myself at Wal-Mart. The pair of pants that fit the best gave me a great surprise! I looked at the label and it they are 100% organic cotton. So even though they were a little more expensive, they fit great and they are organic cotton. :D

But we are definitly a use it up, wear it out, recycle and or do without type of family. I hate shopping and I hate spending money on frivilous things when I know there are bills that need paid etc.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Cheap (the book) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page