Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Decluttering/Simplifying with Style
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Decluttering/Simplifying with Style Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  6:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I did my 2 massive purges, it was that I had never really had anything of beauty or style in my house. I now try to make each thing special. For instance, I am getting my absolute favorite pics blow up, in black and white, to hang on the wall. Make a simple but beautiful statement. Also, color..I love deep caribbean colors with a touch of white or black to set it off. Also, unifying a pattern in all the rooms keep the space flowing and open. This really keeps the clutter down as the color enhances what I do have. I find it is easy to cozy up a place just by having the right lighting, whether a new chandelier, lamp or even candles. Also, getting as much as I can off vertical surfaces over the years means more space in a small area and less visual clutter.

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Good for you-I am starting the same process. We really need to have a garage sale but I don't think many people will show up out here in the boonies. I guess I'll have to talk one of my less rural friends into hosting. I think it really does make you feel better when you have less junk around. Now if I could only convince the hubby....

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  01:40:56 AM  Show Profile
I really want to purge in a big way. I am so tired of all the clutter. My hubby thinks I should garage sale it all but we are out in the boonies too and I don't know that it's worth the effort. When we moved in this new house...I said I wouldn't let it get like the other one, but here I am, feeling overwhelmed again.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  05:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Check with whoever does your taxes about the value of garage saling vs. donating it to a charity, getting a receipt, and writing it off. My acc't says that if you itemize, there is a good chance that selling things at a garage sale will actually cost you money in the long run. This is especially true of clothes. You get to take a certain amount (maybe a dollar or two???) for every piece you donate. (even the ugly orange and brown plaid hubby's shirt he has had since high school 25 years ago!) Same is true for everything!
Check it out. We donated nearly $1500 dollars worth of stuff, and the tax savings was nearly $500!!!!! I've never sold that much at a garage sale!

GET A RECEIPT!

Joy
quote:
Originally posted by StarMeadow

I really want to purge in a big way. I am so tired of all the clutter. My hubby thinks I should garage sale it all but we are out in the boonies too and I don't know that it's worth the effort. When we moved in this new house...I said I wouldn't let it get like the other one, but here I am, feeling overwhelmed again.

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  09:49:13 AM  Show Profile
That's a good idea. I've donated before to goodwill and whatnot and never thought to get a receipt for it. We do itemize because of hubby's job. Interesting. Thanks for the tip!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Decluttering/Simplifying with Style Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page