Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Vestibular disease in older dogs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Vestibular disease in older dogs Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  5:39:01 PM  Show Profile
I found the article I was looking for in the Whole Dog Journal--it says that vestibular disease "a common codition in geriatric dogs stemming from inflammation in the nerves connecting the inner ear to the cerebellum" can be responsible for dogs losing their balance, having trouble standing straight, etc. "Vestibular disease in older dogs is most often 'idiopathic'--of unknown cause--and commonly resolves without any treatment at all". It goes on to say that not all vets are familiar with it, and that it responds well to acupuncture. I'm pretty sure that's what Boxer was suffering from on Thursday morning. He's been fine since then (except for his eye--still don't know how he scratched it)--so when I take him back to the vet in a day or two I'll ask them about it. The veterinary clinic I take him ti is a full service animal hospital that's open 24/7. so sometimes you can't always get the same vet each time you go there, especially if it's an emergency. I haven't been going there for too long, but I wanted to get him established as a client as there are no emergency animla clinics in my town. I used to have to drive about 45 minutes to an emergency clinic, and this new one is only 20 minutes away. Anyway, he seems OK now, went for a walk today and did his doggie dance when I fed him. I hope that's all it is, and that it doesn't happen again, but if it does, I'll try the acupuncture treatment. Has anyone else ever heard of this or experienced it?
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  7:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I've heard of it but never experienced it. I really want to become a holistic vet so I've been reading a lot on natural remedies. I've read that acupuncture really helps dogs and people too. I hope none of these episodes happen again for your dog Cindy.
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  9:02:51 PM  Show Profile
maggie,
Keep your dreams alive about becoming a vet, that is so great!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  9:08:36 PM  Show Profile
I worked for an exotic vet for many years, I am a retired lic. Vet Tech. Vestibular disease is not comman at all, it is considered very rare, and alot of Vets do not beleive it even excists. I am not saying it does not excist. I do hope your pup has had a one time incident, and lives out his days in happy, healthy bliss.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  11:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I am going through something with my 12 year old Rat Terrier, Sophie. All of a sudden the side of her face and right eye are raw and oozy. I noticed her scratching there alot. SO I put my home remedy on her. I mix aloe gel with turmeric and make a paste. I have a little room outside I have fixed up for her and her sister with dog beds and a heat lamp. I can't let them inside because they just pee all over. So anyway, the next day her whole head is red and raw and horrible. So I went to the vet and got one of those funny looking dog collars so she can't get to her head and slathered on some more of the paste. She had a bath a few weeks ago and I put the flea oil on her. So it's not fleas. She is so old and I probably need to take her in and have her put to sleep. I hate to see her suffer like this. She is a little better now.

I hope your dog gets better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  08:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, I would say your dog is having a severe allergic reaction to something, and is in great discomfort/pain, and Yes needs to go to the Vet right away, and not nessacerly (sp?) to be put to sleep, and 12 is not ancient for a Rat Terrior.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  1:15:45 PM  Show Profile
just a thought, could the dog be reacting to the flea oil left on it? sherrye
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  5:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Kristin --Yes, I would say she's experiencing an allergic reaction to the flea oil. I won't use things like that on Boxer. He now gets a pill, Comfortis, for flea control. It's rather costly, but doesn't have the side effects of topical solutions.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Vestibular disease in older dogs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page