Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic seizures in dogs? Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  9:55:10 PM  Show Profile
I woke up at 6:00 this morning to a weird sound. I walked into the living room and Boxer was laying on the couch, his hind legs jerking like he had no control over them. He was wide awake, not sleeping (his legs jerk a lot in his sleep). It stopped, but about fifteen minutes later, he was standing up and his hindquarters suddenly collapsed, and again the jerking. It was almost like he was having a seizure. I took him to the vet and they took a blood sample, but I won't know until tomorrow the results. The rest of the day, he appeared to be OK. He does have some tumors (which Boxers are prone to), but I had them all checked earlier this year (the vet did a fine needle aspirate) and none of them appeared to be cancerous. I do know that tumors, even non-malignant ones, can sometimes cause seizures. He doesn't seem at all distressed by any of what happened; it was almost like he was unaware of it at the time. I wanted to get an x-ray, but it was so darned expensive that I'll have to wait. That is, if it happens again, and the bloodwork doesn't show anything. He's eleven years old, which is pretty old for a boxer. He also has a heart murmur, but that's not uncommon with older dogs. He's such a wonderful dog that I hate to not know what's wrong with him. I missed work today because of it, so please pray that it was just an isolated incident. Please say a prayer for me as well. Thanks.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How has his diet been lately? I know a dog that got seizures because it had low blood sugar!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:28:54 AM  Show Profile
We have a 12 year old lab who has seizures a few times a year. We can usually tell when one's coming because her eyes dialate and then she stiffens up. The first couple of time it really freaked me out! I sit on the floor with her and talk calmly with her and hold her until it stops. She always looks so scared, but seems fine afterwards. The vet said that as some dogs age, they'll get seizures. Keep us posted!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
sometimes my dog as seizures and its because sometimes people forget to feed in the morning (won't mention any names) so we feed her in the after noon. It could also be low blood sugar. I do what Kelly does with her dog, I hold her still and talk to her calmly until she comes out of it. Hope this helps!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile
One of our Labs has had them and his are caused by a low thyroid. Just remember to stay calm.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
yes dogs will sense if you are tense or freaking out and that can make it worse. Just lik Kathy said, stay calm.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Dogs can get epilapsy, also diabetes, fighters concussion, brain tumors and many other problems that cause seizures. The only way to rule them all out is a complete medical work-up. I now this can be quite expensive, but with-out treatment for some of these diseases, they will die. Bloodwork does not always give the answer. I am very sorry that you and your dog are going thru this, its scary for all. Until hie seisures are idenified and controled, since you work, you need to keep him in a safe area while you are gone, an area that while he is seizing, he will not hurt himself. Good luck and my prayers are with you both.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
yeah, I would ask a vet.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:23:50 AM  Show Profile
My poodle has had a few seizures a year for all of her life. I do what everyone else has said - just hold her until they pass. It is not often enough for the vet to want to put her on meds and the meds are not so good for them anyway. If the seizures were worse it would be needed.
But I found several years ago that I could put Lobelia extract on the pads of her feet during a seizure and they stop much sooner without so much stress on her. I always keep it where we all know where it is for this purpose. You never give them anything orally when they are having a seizure but the extract absorbs into their system through their skin and it seems the skin between the pads must be a good place. I will do it and right away she starts licking and smacking and I know she is tasting it.

I did find that she was triggered when I used flea shammpoo- the commercial kind or used chemical cleaning things around the house. She is responsible for leading me to a green housekeeping program.

LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
never mind don't ask a vet what LaVonna said is very true. I'm pretty sure there are some herbs for helping or getting rid of seizures. I'll see if I can find any.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I hope this helps a little

Maggie

Common Types of Seizures

There are two BASIC forms of epilepsy. Infrequent "Petit mal" or "partial motor seizures" is a less severe form of epilepsy, which affects only a specific group or groups of muscles. "Grand mal" or "major motor" seizures are more severe. These include a loss of consciousness and gross body movements.

Common Symptoms your Pet May Suffer During a Seizure

Stiffness
Loss of consciousness
Urinating
Salivating
Sudden, violent shaking
Muscle twitching or slight shaking of a limb
Staring, altered vision

A seizure may last from one to five minutes. Afterwards, the pet may seem exhausted, confused and disoriented.

Major Causes of Seizures

Genetic Factors. Some forms of epilepsy are inherited. Sodium, potassium, and calcium serve the brain as ions and produce electric charges that must fire regularly in order for a steady current to pass from one nerve cell to another. If the channels that carry them are genetically damaged, an imbalance occurs that can cause misfire and seizures.

Brain Tumors. Both cancerous and non-cancerous brain tumors can cause seizures.

Liver disease. Liver disease is a degenerative inflammatory disease that results in the hardening and scarring of liver cells. The liver becomes unable to function properly due to the scarred tissue, which prevents the normal passage of blood through the liver.

Severe worm infestation. Parasites release toxins that have an adverse affect on the central nervous system.

Low blood sugar. Hypoglycemia, which brings on feelings of fatigue and stress, may be a factor in triggering seizures. Scientists have estimated that between 50 to 90 percent of all epileptics suffer from low blood sugar, and 70 percent have abnormal glucose tolerance levels.

Lead, Chemicals, Additives and Poisoning. Toxic metals such as lead, copper, mercury, and aluminum have also been known to cause seizures. Some pets are very sensitive to such metals, and exposure is common through aluminum cookware, auto exhaust, industrial pollution, household cleaners and copper water pipes. Flea sprays, collars and yard sprays are also toxic to pets.

Vaccinations. Because vaccines may contain proteins and/or organisms, they may produce an allergic encephalitis inflammation of the brain.

Infections, cysts and cancer.

Head Trauma. A blow to the head from an auto accident, abuse or other accident can lead to life-long seizures.

Renal Kidney Failure. The role of the kidneys is to remove toxins and excess fluid. When the kidneys become diseased or damaged, they may lose their ability to perform these functions, causing a toxic build-up in the body. A toxic build-up can lead to a seizure disorder.

Vitamin deficiencies. Research points to vitamin and mineral deficiencies as possible causes of epilepsy. The key nutrients that appear deficient in epileptics are vitamin B6, vitamin A, folic acid, vitamin D, zinc, taurine, magnesium, and calcium.

Types of Treatments

Types of traditional treatments such as Phenobarbital, Primidone, Diazepam (Valium) and Potassium Bromide are typically prescribed by veterinarians for seizure disorders. Although medications can be very effective, some may cause side effects that can eventually lead to other symptoms. Many pet owners are now looking into other methods of treating seizure disorders. A more natural approach is outlined below.

Prevention Plan For Treating Seizure Disorders Naturally

A prevention plan is a simple method of enhancing the level of nutrition and making lifestyle changes. It is an attempt to address any special needs your pet may have.

Rule Out Other Health Problems
Rule out other health problems such as Thyroid, Diabetes, Cancer, Liver or Kidney disease. A health problem may be triggering seizures.

Feed Homemade Diet or High Quality Commercial Food
Poor nutrition is a direct cause of many major and minor diseases. Therefore, a commitment to optimum health and longevity for your pet must include a high quality diet.

Research has shown that a low quality diet -- meaning a diet loaded with chemicals, fillers, stabilizers, coloring agents, sodium nitrate (found to produce epileptic-like changes in the brain activity of rats who ate it regularly) and by-products -- can lead to allergies, nervousness, hypertension, diabetes, weight problems, dry skin, and many other common ailments.

A homemade diet is recommended as this is the best you can do for your pet. If you are interested in recipes, please email our Pet Nutritionist. Home cooking does not fit into everyone's lifestyle and if this is the case, it is essential to choose a high quality dry food.

Because of what goes into pet foods today and what does not, it is important to know how to read labels, and know the history of the company manufacturing the pet food. Purely Pets has done extensive research on many of the pet food companies and we recommend Flint River Ranch and Azmira Pet Foods. These products use high quality ingredients -- healthy ingredients that are useful to your pet's body.

Rule Out Hypoglycemia
Hypoglycemia is a medical term meaning low blood sugar, a condition that is becoming more common in pets and especially pets suffering from seizures.

It is recommended that pets suffering from seizures follow the suggestions given below to rule out hypoglycemia.

Feed a high quality diet to maintain proper blood sugar levels.

Keep stress to a minimum.

Exercise moderately.

Supplement with high quality vitamins.

Feed small frequent meals.

Symptoms of a hypoglycemic attack

Staggering or collapse

Weakness

Aggression

Moodiness

Glassy eyes, staring, dazed looked

Seizure - If this happens it is essential to administer a source of glucose. The best source is honey. Honey, is made up of 35% protein & contains half of all the necessary amino acids. It is a highly concentrated source of many essential nutrients, including large quantities of carbohydrates (sugars), some minerals, B complex, and C, D, and E. Therefore, honey will immediately raise the blood sugar putting the body in balance and stabilizing the blood sugar level. If honey is not available use jelly, karo syrup or maple syrup. Put a small amount of one of these directly into the mouth. It will be quickly absorbed.

Recommendations to Prevent Hypoglycemia Attacks

The Hypoglycemia feeding schedule is as follows:

7:00 AM Breakfast - high quality dry food or home cooked meal
11:00 AM Snack - see suggestions below
3:00 PM Snack
7:00 PM Dinner - high quality dry food or home cooked meal
11:00 PM Snack -- this should be a high protein, high carbohydrate snack. For example, two plain rice cakes with peanut butter in the middle, egg and toast, chicken and brown rice, etc.

Snack Suggestions:

Celery

Carrots

Apples

Pears

Bran crackers

Rice cakes

Peaches

Hard Boiled eggs

Scrambled eggs

Oatmeal

Low sodium saltine crackers with peanut butter

Cottage cheese

Plain yogurt

Homemade meatballs

Chicken

The goal is not to put weight on your pet, but to balance out the body, stabilize the blood sugar level and ultimately control the seizures.

Eliminate Toxins in the House, Yard and on your Pet

Many household cleaners contain formaldehyde (also known as embalming solution), which could cause severe irritation to eyes, throat and skin. Some floor polishes contain chemicals that can cause cancer as well as damage to the heart, kidneys, liver and central nervous system. It is important to keep your pets in a well-ventilated area when cleaning.

Flea collars, flea sprays, air fresheners, carpet powders and yard control products are not recommended.

Exercise!

Exercise helps with muscle development, digestion and overall health. A well-conditioned body will work and perform better and increase the ability to carry blood and oxygen to muscles. Exercising burns fat and increases your pet's metabolism.

Be sure your pet gets at least an hour of exercise everyday. However, age, health and weather should be taken into consideration. Do NOT over exercise older pets, or pets suffering from hypoglycemia, epilepsy, heart problems, etc. Pets suffer from exhaustion just as humans do.

Supplement

Purely Pets does not recommend discontinuing traditional medications cold turkey or discontinuing them at all. This is YOUR decision based on how the following program works. We highly recommend you work closely with your veterinarian.

Super C 2000
Vitamin C is known as the king of vitamins and absolutely essential to the living process. Dogs do produce Vitamin C, but stress, separation from the mother, relocation to a new home, neutering, immunizations, sickness, skin problems, ear crops, de-worming, heartworm pills, teething, weather changes, seizures and other ailments quickly deplete the little amount they produce. Medical science has described Vitamin C as one of the least toxic substances known. It is the single most important thing you can do for the health of your pet.

Mega Pet or Nupro
Vitamins and minerals are necessary to build the immune system and strengthen your pet. They have the power to neutralize the possible harmful effects of impurities and toxins present in a pet's food or environment. They will also ensure against possible dietary deficiencies and provide extra nutrition in times of stress. Supplements make a tremendous difference in improving the quality of a pet's life.

EpiPlus
This powder supplement is an alternative to the traditional medicines being used to control seizures. It has long been known that a deficiency in the B complex vitamins can cause seizures in any species. EpiPlus contains high dosages of B complex vitamins and herbs. It is an all-natural product and should be given on a daily basis. There are no known side effects unless your pet is allergic to one of the herbs in the product. If this is the case, EpiPlus can be tailor-made to fit your pet's needs at no extra charge. EpiPlus has had success in eliminating seizures completely or cutting them down dramatically. The time factor depends on the individual pet and it's individual biochemical status.

Keep a Positive Attitude

Positive thinking reaps positive results!! Talk positive to your pet, and be a positive person in your own life.

What to do When a Seizure Occurs

If there is forewarning, administer honey. Give about one tablespoon. For smaller pets use 1 teaspoon. In many cases, this will lessen the severity of the seizure.

Remain calm. This is so important as YOU will prolong the seizure if you scream or get upset.

Turn off all lights, TV and music. Get to a quiet, dark room and hold your pet in a comforting reassuring way. Say only positive things, "You will be okay, you will be better."

Factors That May Trigger a Seizure

Below is a list of factors that most commonly trigger seizures. This does not mean your pet will have a seizure each time it comes in contact with one. EACH pet is different and sensitive to certain things. This list does not apply to every pet.

Some of these factors are impossible to avoid, but are listed for your knowledge.

Hair spray - Do not spray when pet is in the same room.
Wool - Wool blankets, wool sofas, etc.
Heartworm pills - A seizure may occur 1 to 1 ½ wks. after administering heartworm medication.
Cigarette smoke.
Environmental Pollution from chemical plants.
BHA - A preservative commonly used in dog foods, read - "Additives in Pet Foods,"
BHT - A preservative commonly used in dog foods.
Sodium nitrate - Proven in research studies to cause severe seizures. Sodium nitrate is found in many foods we eat. Read the ingredient labels carefully.
Carpet powders.
Air fresheners.
Fabric softeners - If exposed to clothes that have fabric softener on them.
Dryer sheets - If exposed to clothes that have been in the dryer with the dryer sheets.
Salt, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Monosodium Glutamate - in excess.
Sugar - Sucrose, corn syrup, molasses, cane sugar.
Low quality commercial dog biscuits and treats.
Low quality dry food.
Low quality canned food.
Plastic bowls - All plastics release some undetectable fumes, especially when heated. This out-gassing means the fumes can pass into the foods that are served or stored in the bowl or container. Stainless steel or glass bowls are recommended.
Cheap ceramic bowls - Cause the same problem as described above.
Fumes from all bathroom cleaners.
Fumes from bleach.
Fumes from dusting products.
Household cleaners - Pine cleaners should be avoided.
All toxic flea products - If the product states "Hazardous To Humans And Domestic Animals", it is hazardous to your pet.
Toxic shampoos.
Toxic flea collars.
Dust - Change air filters in your home once a month, and wash curtains twice yearly.
Crabgrass.
Mold.
Eating cat or dog feces.
Stress.
Vaccinations.
Lyme vaccine.
Lyme encephalitis.
Rabies vaccine.
Head trauma.
Worm infestation.
Lead - Pets like to lick lead because it tastes sweet, and lead poisoning can result from licking or eating wood chips on which there is lead paint. This can be checked when doing regular blood work, but it must be specified that you would like a LEAD POISONING TEST which is not part of a normal blood work.
Paint fumes.
Paint chips from lead based paint.
Excessive exercise.
Overheating.
Abuse or neglect.
Rawhides - Many are dipped in a solution of salt and bleach
Cheap painted pet toys
Loud noises - Yelling, fighting, doorbell ringing
Scented candles.
Vitamins with high sodium level.
Inconsistent routine.
FALL - Research studies have shown that more seizures occur in the fall. This is due to mold and bacteria in the air.
Blinking lights - Christmas lights, bright lights, etc.
Pine cleaners.
Red food dye.
Ethoxyquin.
Fungi, Bacteria and Germs.
Mobile Phones - Research carried out on animals suggests that mobile phone emissions may trigger seizures. Check out this site - Epilepsy and Mobile Phones
Hereditary Factors.

Conclusion

An epileptic seizure is something no one likes to watch and even more disturbing for the pet because he doesn't know what is happening to his body. Therefore, it is up to you to find all the answers and learn what is causing the seizures and how to prevent them.

The above program does not apply to every pet and therefore it is important to have your pet thoroughly examined by a veterinarian. If you decide to seek natural methods, Purely Pets recommends a consultation with our on-staff nutritionist.

A consultation will include a personalized diet and holistic program suggestions, all custom-tailored to your pet's personal needs. This is particularly imperative in pets with complicated health issues, or if you've done outside reading and have conflicting information.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  6:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks for all the information, gals! Especially you, Maggie! His bloodwork turned out to be normal "excellent" according to the vet. He seemed fine the rest of the day yesterday. I kind of wonder about the low blood sugar thing, since both these seizures happened early in the morning. But wouldn't that have showed up on his labwork? Someone at work told me it might have been a stroke. He gets a very good high-protein, high quality dry dog food and sometimes he gets people food and once in a while, homemade dogfood. He always has a good appetite.
But as these things go....I let him out last night when I was very sleepy and half-awake, and it was dark, and I had all the lights off, so I didn't notice how he looked when he came back in. It wasn't until I saw him in the light of day that I realized he had a scrape on his nose and his right eye was red and swollen. So back to the vet he went. He must have been digging in his pen and dug up some gravel or something that scratched him. I'm going to thoroughly check his pen tomorrow for any hazardous objects. He's tired right now, so tired that he didn't even beg me for a walk. Poor baby. I have to put ointment in his eye and take him back in a few days. As for the "seizure". I may never know what caused it. I'm not too keen on modern medicine, I like the idea of using Lobelia extract--I also remember reading that if a dog is in shock or having seizures, they can often be helped by putting pressure right under their nose and above the gumline. I didn't think to try it yesterday but if it happens again, I'll try it and see. I also have some back issues of the Whole Dog Journal--they probably have an article or two on seizures. wow, these past few days have been unsettling. but that's usually the way it goes. I hope the weekend is just plain boring--that would be nice right now. Thanks, all you farmgirls, for your concern--let's all hope for a boring weekend. :)
Cindy
PS--I don't like to talk about it, but I worry about him. I try to stay positive for his sake because dogs can sense how you're feeling.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  6:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm so glad I could help a little Cindy. I worry all the time about our dog because she's getting really old and is not in the best of health. So now I'm trying to make her own homemade dog food and dog treats and useing natural remedies. I hope your dog feels better soon!!!
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  7:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Its possible that someone or something hit him? Red swollen eye, and scrape on nose, that could be cause of seizure.

A dog thats had a stroke, will have both eyes flicking back and forth, depending on severity, will walk in a tight circle, usually will cry also.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  9:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Teresa--at first I thought a cat had scratched his eye, but the way his pen is made, only a very small cat could get in. And if it was a small cat, he would have had it for supper. I hate to think that someone would hit him, but there are some sick, twisted people out there. I live in a fairly decent neighborhood, not much crime, and the neighbors all watch out for each other. His pen has a five and a half foot chain link fence, and if someone got over it, like, with the intention of breaking in--i suppose it's possible, but doubtful. I was so sleepy last night that I don't remember if I heard him barking or otherwise sounding the alarm. He likes to bark when he's outside so i usuallyjust ignore it. And the scratched eye came after the seizure, so that couldn't have caused it. Plus he had dirt on his paws and on his nose this morning, so he must have been digging. He was only out there for about ten or fifteen minutes--I think. To tell the truth, I don't remember how long I left him out. Kinda scary. That's why I don't like taking anti-anxiety meds before bed. But if i didn't, I'd probably never get to sleep. Let's just hope that he heals quickly and gets back to normal real soon.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  9:23:54 PM  Show Profile
AARRGGGHH!!! What is it with some people??!! I just read the local paper and some nitwit guy shot his dog three times, the dog yelping in pain each time, because it was having seizures!! And this in a residential neighborhood!! the case looks like it will be going to a grand jury and I hope he spends some time in jail. Right now I'd like to be alone in a room with this guy and I'd give him something to think about!! Sorry, but this just burns me up!!!

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  08:25:06 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I am just now reading this and I have to leave to go look at a horse so if Im repeating something someone else said please ignore me. My mother's cocker spaniel had epilepsy. Now my first thought would be to take your dog to the vet, and here is why. Some seizures are caused by poisons or toxins. I would want to know for sure what process was going on with my dog in case something was going on. When I was a little girl we had a springer spaniel. He was poisoned by my neighbor. He barked a lot and was basically a pain in the butt so rather than discussing it with our family he took it into his own hands and got him to eat some poison and Nicky died. Im not saying one of your neighbors is poisoning your dog but I would make sure he isnt getting into something. Also he could have scratched his eye from having a seizure maybe.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  09:36:20 AM  Show Profile
About 4 yrs ago a neighborhood near where my daughter lives was going thru some hell, their dogs were being poisened. The LAPD put it off to some sicko dog hater, but, with-in 6 months of all these dogs dying, the homes were being broke into and cleaned out, no more barking dogs to give them away. One of the home owners came home early from work and caught the guy red handed. Long story short, the guy admitted to the dog poisening, just so he could steal from these homes, he hated the idea of people having "more and better then him", so instead of working harder to better himself, killing beloved pets and then stealing their masters belongings sounded easy to him. My point to this story is make sure that your pup isn't being hurt intentionaly by someone with stealing or worse on their mind.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile
I wish I was the "Animal Police". Mistreating animals is just horrible!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice--I am being more cautious. When he went out last night, I turned on the light and watched him. I guess I'd better check with my neighbors who have dogs and see if they've noticed anything unusual. My backyard is surrounded by other back yards, so if someone was sneaking around, he'd have to be pretty careful. There are some young people around here (not in my immediate neighborhood) who roam the streets at night. They got in my car once (I'd left it unlocked) but didn't take anything, probably because there was nothing valuable. A neighbor noticed them and called the police. They were caught, but being juveniles, I don't know who they were or what happened to them. that was quite a long time ago. Boxer seems more like his old self today--wagging his tail and wanting to go for a walk. His eye looks better too. If someone is trying to hurt him, they're not going to succeed cause I'll be watching out for him.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  4:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean Cindy, I hate it when people are cruel to animals. It makes me so made. I just don't understand it at all.
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  9:48:45 PM  Show Profile
My dear I feel for you. I have a boxer lab mix who is just not keeping weight on. We have tried different foods, homemade foods, worming, shes been vetted for some sort of thyroid problem. She looks ribby and I hate that because I love my dogs. My lab is so fat and I feel guilt slather Stellas food with supplements and good stuff and he gets the weight control food. Bless him. Im sure that you are doing everything in your power to keep your dog safe. But nonetheless he will be in my prayers in hopes that he is safe.

As an aside, my son went on a boy scout campout a couple of weeks ago and they stopped to get subway sandwhiches along the way. In the parking lot was a pitiful starving dog. My son asked the leaders to please call me because he knew that I would go there immediately and get the dog. But they refused. I dont send a cell phone with my son and he has been just sick about it. I called the store and asked to find out if anyone had seen the dog and if so whether they could call me. But I havent heard anything and they acted like I was wasting their time. Why dont people feel compassion for other feeling creatures? I feel so heartsick when I hear stories of dogs spending their lives on a tie out or stuck in a kennel alone. Dogs are social animals and they need companionship. *sigh* I digress...

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  08:04:15 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, isn't compassion one of the boy scouts motto's??? I would be ripping them a new @%#$*^%$ for not calling me or letting my son call me. I sure hope that poor pup was picked up by someone who cares.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  1:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
that is very sad Sarah. I hope someone did pick up that dog.
Channah

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic seizures in dogs? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page