Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Farming 101 Classes - Anyone do these?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farming 101 Classes - Anyone do these? Next Topic  

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  07:09:20 AM  Show Profile
I know there is a farm girl out there that does classes for farm related topics -- I just can't find her again!!!! I'm thinking about offering a series of maybe 6 to 8 classes that surround typical farming activities, such as canning, baking bread, soap making, etc. I really need some advice on both the business end and the class end. What classes to offer; how much to charge; liability issues; etc. I am all for any advice anyone can give. And if there really is a farm girl out there that does it (and I didn't dream you or make you up), I would really love to know how yours works, any advice or suggestions. Plus, I would love to know if any of you would take such a class, and be willing to pay to do it. If you would, how much would you be willing to pay? And what classes would you like to see offered? Thanks, ladies!!!!! I really need some guidance on this.

from the hearts of paradise...

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  2:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I have so much I want to say about this Julie, but don't have the time to respond right now...I think it's a fantastic idea!!! I'll have to look up Social Springs, LA on the map when you get your classes up and running, I'd love to be able to participate.
Also, perhaps some of MaryJane's ideas (I seem to recall a farm class of some kind) from her book and magazines will correspond with the idea you have in mind. I am including 2 links that may prove helpful...http://www.friendlyhaven.com/ --- http://www.friendlyhaven.com/classes.html
I believe in your idea!!!

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  2:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Chandra! If I can pull this off, I'll let you know. I'm in the northwest corner of the state, about 50 miles southeast of Shreveport. Where are you?

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I live about 12 miles SW of Lafayette, near a small town called Leroy. The only time I've ever seen it on a map is in the Vermilion Parish phone book. My address is a Kaplan address, but I don't live anywhere near Kaplan, something to do with switching from RR#'s to street addresses and the territory became the responsibility of the new P.O. in Kaplan. Oh well...just a tid-bit I learned when I moved here.

Did looking @ the blog for the Friendly Haven give you any reinforcement or help build your confidence in an area you were thinking about??? I really think you have a great idea; give it some prayer, some time, some advertising, spread the word...!

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  7:26:01 PM  Show Profile
If Louisiana wasn't so far away I'd be signing up for everyone of your classes.
And I agree with Chandra, great idea!! I'll help say some prayers also. Good Luck
with your venture. Toni
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  10:38:43 AM  Show Profile
You know, it would be a drive from my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) but if you make a weekend intensive I would come and maybe pick up some farmsisters to share expenses. Motel and such and it could be fun. Something to consider is what to charge and maybe you could let people barter for the cost as well.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knit1tat2
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Lorna Jean
Pender Nebraska
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Send knit1tat2 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all, I'm offering classes of all sorts including hand spinning, weaving, etc. A 4 hr day of spinning is $65, and a 6 hr day is $85 a week is $300, a month is $900. I also teach jam/jelly, canning, gardening, animal husbandry, spinning, weaving, knitting, crocheting, embroideries, etc. Haven't had any takers yet though, I live in N.E. Nebraska, not far from Iowa/S. Dakota.
Any takers? I'm a Grandma, and have done those things most all my life. I'd love to share what I've learned!
Lorna Jean

we create our own economy
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Hi Julie! I think you have an awesome idea!! I thought about doing this in the summer with kids - sort of like a farm day camp that lasts a few hours a day for a week or two...it's still just a thought in my head, I wasn't sure how to go about licensing etc.

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://oldethymecountry.secure2cart.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

deborahwrites
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Deborah
Cornell IL
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  5:06:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm not the person you're thinking of, because I'm new to the forum, but I do teach farmstead classes, including cheesemaking, soapmaking, bread baking, goatkeeping, homesteading 101, etc. This past summer, I charged $15-30 per 2-3 hour class, although I'll be raising the price for 2010. I also taught classes through other organizations and colleges, and they charged $30-40 per class and had no trouble filling with a dozen people, which was the max I set. I'm in Illinois.

Deborah
http://antiquityoaks.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  08:05:03 AM  Show Profile
We have a small farm in the foothills above Sequim,WA. Our focus for the last 11 years has been demonstrating to people how important small family farms are to the community. We promote self-suffiency by giving farm tours, teaching classes, and selling our raw milk artisan cheese. Our classes range from cheese making,animal husbandry, canning, smoking meat, dehydrating, root cellaring, chicken raising and plucking, chicken tractor building, gardening skills (to many of these to list). We charge $75 per couple, for most classes they usually run about 4 hrs.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  5:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
I teach those classes and more. Next month I am teaching Natural & Herbal Care for Colds and Flu.

See my blog for other classes that I teach.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & MRET ~ Energy Healing & Wellness Coaching Sessions

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  04:46:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow, ladies. This has really given me a wealth of information. I've looked at all the blogs, but I want to go back and read them again, this time paying much closer attention to detail. As for those of you who do teach classes, do you mind telling me if they are successful; if you teach them, or do you bring in someone else; do you do it at home; what about the liability issues. Lorna Jean, do you have any of your students board with you or is there a nearby motel? LaVonne, you really brought up a good point. YOu wouldn't want to stay in the closet hotel to us -- trust me on this -- but I might want to see if I could figure out accomodations on our place. It's possible, just take a bit of figuring and rearranging. Hmmmm.....this is some really good food for thought. I am so open for any advice anyone wants to give!!!!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  07:07:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm starting mine up in January. If you'd like, we can bounce ideas off eachother. I posted about this quite awhile back.... I was to start this summer but harvestkept me pretty busy as it was also my first canning experience. So, fingers crossed I'll be able to offer one in Jan and go from there.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington
Go to Top of Page

deborahwrites
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Deborah
Cornell IL
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  07:23:14 AM  Show Profile
Teaching classes is not a matter of "build it and they will come." You can't just post something on your website and expect to have people beating down the doors. We have a Yahoo group (announcements only) with about 150 subscribers, and I have a blog with 1,500 unique readers a month, although most of them are not in my area. I also have a couple different websites with a combined total of about 4,000 visits a month. And I have a Facebook "fan" page for Antiquity Oaks. Cheesemaking is the most popular. I have a max of six people because my kitchen can't handle more than that, and it filled up two or three times this summer. Soapmaking is also pretty popular. I also teach classes for the Center for Sustainable Community, and we had two classes for them this year, one with 16 people and one with eight or ten. I'm teaching soapmaking for a community college this fall, and had a combined total of 29 people register for the three classes. Clearly people want to know this stuff, but getting the word out is key. Since the CSC and community college seem to have a much larger reach than I do, I'm teaching more classes for them next year, including Homesteading 101 and Composting for Beginners (includes vermicomposting). I'll also continue to teach classes on the farm, because I just enjoy that so much more.

We also have an internship program, but we don't charge because the idea is that they are working while they're here. I don't have time to just teach someone day in and day out. We provide room and board, and we currently have a young lady that just started on Nov. 1. I'll be blogging about this more in the future.

Deborah
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  05:26:31 AM  Show Profile
um... i did and I have 7 confirmed people for January's class at $25 a head. I may not have all the "followers and fancy blogreaders" but I have passion and I'm committed to good old fashioned standards and that works around these parts.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
~I'd rather be on my farm than Emperor of the World~George Washington

Edited by - deeredawn on Nov 04 2009 05:28:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  05:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Dawn...have a plan, (that's what you're developing now) work YOUR plan, make adjustments, learn what you can from the posts here (like you set out to do) and know that there are those of us that believe in your plan. Do you agree that somtimes, we gain wisdom from doing and all the suggestions in the world won't change what the doing can accomplish? Forget those "fiery darts", keep your "armor' on and you go girl!

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  06:24:01 AM  Show Profile
It would seem to me that this would be a great time to plan classes like this. Our country has been hit so hard this decade and people are more receptive than ever to all of this. In the aftermath of 9/11 many folks planted a garden- it seemed more therputic than survival. But this summer, it was reported, a huge number of folks had converted little plots in their yard to garden spots. It is the economy driving this. I do not think the average person in America even knows anyone that cans their own food. Even those with gardens tend to freeze the produce. I think it is a very good time to look to basic living. The economy has made many realize that they need to learn how to do such and that they will not go back to the extravagant way they used to live. It is a time to make strides with teaching "green living" and basic home skills.
Like I said before, if you have the classes in a weekend seminar I would love to come,Julie. I might could bring a person or two as well.

Farmgirl Sister #758
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  08:02:03 AM  Show Profile
This is some great information. I am definitely researching it further, especially about any laws, rules, regulations or ordinances Parish or State wide. I can't help but thinking that I would love to take classes like these, so it would stand to reason that others would, too. LaVonna, I will definitely let you know when I start these up. I need to mapquest decatur and see how far you are from me. I'm about 10 miles south of Ringgold, if you need to search me out, too!

Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  08:17:06 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am nowhere close to you but it could be worth the drive and a couple of days away. I am north of Ft. Worth. In north central Texas.

Farmgirl Sister #758
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  09:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, LaVonna, I saw that. You'd be looking at somewhere between 4 and 5 hours, easily. But, if I ever do these, maybe you can stay the night, so it wouldn't be so bad driving that far. It's just a lot of work trying to figure out all this stuff, but I'm really interested in doing it, so the work will surely be worth it! I'll keep you posted.

Go to Top of Page

deborahwrites
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Deborah
Cornell IL
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  09:56:33 AM  Show Profile
Having a passion and being committed are, of course, very important, but if no one knows about you, then they can't come to your classes. It sounds like you misunderstood the intent of my post. I just meant to show that you have to have a way to get the word out. And if you have one type of class that doesn't fly, then try a different type of class -- or try it in a different venue. Teaching soapmaking at my farm isn't that popular, but teaching it at a community college draws a lot of people. Please read my post not as a list of personal brags, but as a list of possible things to try when getting the word out about your classes.

Deborah
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farming 101 Classes - Anyone do these? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page