Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Need an opinion on a toy...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Need an opinion on a toy... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
So silly I know!! But I want to avoid plastic toys this Christmas and I found a cute wooden kitchen set--it boy colors. Scott thinks it is not boyish enough?!? I was going to buy some groceries for it and I found some things at thrift to add to it. I think it is just fine. Charlie doesn't have a lot of imagination toys...to get him thinking...and I thought this would work. What say all ya'll???

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  8:33:27 PM  Show Profile
I say "why not?"!! Tell hubby that some of the greatest chefs in the world are male! Seriously though, I think anything that stimulates a healthy imagination in a child is a good thing. Next summer he can even move his "kitchen" outside and make mud pies! (This coming from someone who thinks it's a great idea and doesn't have to clean up the mess...haha!).
Di
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile
I think its great. paint some lizards on it or something. :)

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  9:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it is a great toy, but I think that your hubby needs to be on board with the idea of the toy. Kids pick up on those subconscience reactions from adults and I think that could be hard for a kid to understand.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  9:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Diane--you could come visit!!! : )

I think if I set it up and got Scott involved in playing with him, it would be fun. I am tired of all the small, plasticky toys with missing parts and they are scattered all over the house. Charlie has told me twice he would like one please...without me ever asking about it. He NEVER begs for things...so I thought this might be something fun for him. He likes those outdooor houses too but WHEN we move to TX...that is just a big ole' hiding place for snakes and spiders AND it would get too dang hot. I was also thinking of finding some heavier material in a cool print- space, camping, SNAKES and make a tent over the top...so it would be more fort like. Any suggestions??? Or else I was going to buy a small size tent for him to play in. Thought it would be fun and I think I saw some camp items for kiddos---including a kitchen type set up.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  05:42:18 AM  Show Profile
I think its a great idea and painting something boyish or even adding a sticker or something might help Scott think its more boyish too. By boys had them along with wooden tools and they would fix the stove and the fridge as they cooked. Heather they have little teepees too. That might be fun. As long as he is having fun Id say thats all that matters. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  05:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Teepee...that might be fun too!! Thanks!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Actually it depends on the boy.

I know with my brother he never cared what others said about him, and playing with me and my toys when we were little, and I remember others trying to make fun of him, for things like teaching me how to braid my little pony's hair and stuff.

Any way, some boys LOVE kitchens. I remember many a boy in my Kindergarten playing kitchen with me, when I was in K. (that was my favorite play station! hahaha).

I think it's a great idea.

I do think dad needs to try to get in on the idea though, I would talk to him more about it. Because you really don't want dad to be that kind of dad. (not that he isn't a great dad) But, sometimes dad's need adjustments in their thinking.

One thing my parents always said, is, well he'll have to learn to cook, or take care of babies when he grows up. So why not let him now? That usually got the nay sayers, to shut up!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Then again my dad's a nurse, and mom's a dr....our family defies all gender stereotypes! hahaha

Funny my little sister said it was so bad when she was in grade school, when they would ask what do your parents do? The teacher would even try to correct her and say, don't you mean your dad's a dr, and mom's a nurse. And my little sister said.....uh no, dad is a nurse and mom is a dr. I know what they do!

And now she's going to be a lawyer! hahaha Go sis! hahaha

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Heather---that is funny. I am pursuing my PH.D and someday it will be "Dr. and MR. Morehouse" : )

Yes...He needs to adjust his attitude...maybe a good whack in the head??? LOL

Heather

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  3:49:32 PM  Show Profile
LOL Heather, funny! :)

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of making like a camping set. THats a fantastic idea. :) You can find little camping mess kits like my son has for boy scouts. He could use them later too. Ive found a few at thrift stores.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I provide daycare for a family of boys and they play with my daughter's play kitchen daily. The kids really love the Melissa and Doug food set. It is made of wood and the food is in pieces with velcro tabs so the kids can act like they are actually cutting up the food. It's fun and helps their motor skills.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  4:25:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MagnoliaWhisper
One thing my parents always said, is, well he'll have to learn to cook, or take care of babies when he grows up. So why not let him now? That usually got the nay sayers, to shut up!

Yeah, this. All my kids have gotten roped into helping me in the kitchen IRL. De-stemming grapes, turning the Squeezo, using the cherry pitter, rolling out pie dough are what my 3.5yo and 6yo boys have been put into use for, among other things. My 17mo just brings me things like random strawberries (if she doesn't stuff them in her face first) or apples when I'm on an applesauce spree or whatnot.

We got a play kitchen for the 6yo when he was like 2-3yo. No worries. I also sewed up a bunch of play felt food for him as well - was too cheap to pay someone on etsy for it, the plastic stuff is chewed on (my boys are half puppy), and the wooden stuff would be concussion-inducing projectiles. But that's just my kids.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Need an opinion on a toy... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page