Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Crustless pumpkin pie? need help...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Crustless pumpkin pie? need help... Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  4:48:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a tried and true pumpkin pie recipe that has no crust, or a nut crust.. My Drew is diabetic and really has to watch his carb intake and Thanksgiving is a REAL challenge for us. So any punkin' ideas will be gratefully looked at and much thanks in advance.

I've seen several online, but everything is better if it comes from the kitchen of a farmgirl

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  06:40:11 AM  Show Profile
I just bake a regular pie without a crust. Spray the pan well or butter it and bake your filling. I also have used splenda and its pretty good. I cut back on the carbs where I can and crustless is a good way to go.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  07:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Robin =) I had no idea that you could do that with the pumpkin batter, but it makes sense now that I think of it. We are trying to pinch carbs where ever we can.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  08:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I've been a diabetic for 10 years now and I bake the pumpkin filling in a well sprayed pie pan. I use Splenda but I know some have objections to using artificial sweetners -- haven't tried any of the stevia products yet.

Another advantage to pumpkin pie without a crust is that basically all the fat in a pie is in the crust. The only fat in crustless pumpkin pie will be from the egg yolks and that will be negligible in each serving.

Can't wait for Thanksgiving!
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  9:15:39 PM  Show Profile
We having been making pumpkin pie without the crust for years. My mil always made it with the crust, but at home, we made pumpkin custard. At least that is what I called it. I have these small round bowls that I would bake the custard in. I have used in the microwave as well, but prefer the oven. The small bowls made great individual servings. I would fill a large rectangular cake pan with water and set the individual bowls in the water and bake the custard in the oven. My family likes to warm up the custard in the microwave when they feel like having it warm. I don't spray or coat the bowls with anything.

www.countrynmore.com

http:// www.qualityfabricsandsupplies.ecrater.com

www.countrynmore.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Crustless pumpkin pie? need help... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page