theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2006 :  12:41:33 PM  Show Profile
This was the 50th year for our community sale..Each spring our community of 1000 has the sale "uptown" at the park. It seems to be the coming out for the community~~a sure sign of spring!
The Optomist Club puts it on each year and the park is filled with "stuff". Some years are better than others, but ya know what they say..."One mans junk..." There are about 6 auctioners going at the same time~~so you have to prioritize and pick just where you need to be at a given time.
This year was pretty good~~especially for me! While reading the thread about clotheslines...I decided I too needed one. I started looking on the internet and found some cheap imitations for about $100+. As I was walking around the park...I looked down and behold~~a set of clothesline poles...not only the old fashioned T-poles, but also had scrolling on them...Well- I decided that no one would be taking them home but ME...
Well- There was some fast and furious bidding going on~~but I won out and cant wait to have DH install them in the backyard! I spent about $12 more than my bidding "limit" But...those other ladies really wanted them too!!
I also got some wood snow fence for $4..A sweet little birdhouse clock with a blue bird on it ...probably from the 1950's for $12.50...A large plastic swing-very durable and very heavy- for $35..and a lamp for $1.
But~~ The best thing is ..the day after when the park looks like a tornado went thru~~you can really find some good free stuff!
I went uptown early this morning~~ and picked up some palets for my hay and straw to sit on...some old plates to break for mosaic..a pair of really nice mud boots for the grandkids..a wicker steamer..and some wicker paper plate holders...
But the best of all~~ a tin of buttons~~! Free! It doesnt get much better than that!
Jan

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2006 :  12:52:32 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like you had a great time -- enjoy all your goodies!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  08:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jan, I wanna go next year!!

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile
You gotta love free buttons! I found vintage Christmas ornaments and glitter houses in a box at the side of the road this past year . . . old couple gone, kids packed everything up and put it in the garbage. All I did was bring home the box marked Christmas -- wahoo!

I love the idea of all the gals bidding up the clothesline poles. Glad you got them -- happy laundry!
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Community Sale Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page