magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  4:26:16 PM  Show Profile
When we first got married, and were headed down the back roads to my parent's house, someone waved at me and I waved back. My then city slicker husband, asked "do you know them?" I said no and when it happened again, he said "Why are you waving at people you don't know?" I explained it is the polite country thing to do.Now, 25 years of waving later, he gets a bit onery when he waves and the other person doesn't wave back, he usual comment is "I wish those city slickers would move back to Houston or learn how to be polite. I just smile

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,

catgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Denise
New Market AL
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  4:38:49 PM  Show Profile
I think it depends on what part of the country you are from too not just whether you are from the country or city and what kind of vehicle you have as well. I noticed that if its a beat up old pickup that the person will wave more readily than someone in a brand new four door.

nittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  4:49:07 PM  Show Profile
My son used to do that and expected a return wave. We live in SE Washington state. He was especially thrilled when the person was talking on a cell phone and had both hands off the wheel to wave back. Really exasperating if you really know the person and know they should know better than, not only talk on the cell while driving, but also to drive with no hands on the wheel.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  5:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The town I grew up in the wave was common in town and out of town. It's so funny- I had a friend that moved to town in middle school and even after a few years of living in town she wasn't used to it. When we were in 9th or 10th grade we went for a country bike ride and I was waving at all the cars that went by. She said, "You sure know a lot of people!" I said, "Oh I don't know them, but you just wave nonetheless!"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  5:29:36 PM  Show Profile
I always wave at others and when I pass someone on the street I always say hi. It drives my DH crazy and his daughters just look at me funny. But I won't ever stop. I think it's just polite to say hi.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Kathy, I know what you are talking about. Up in East Texas where my husband's family live, everyone waves... If he and I stay up there for a while, and come back down to Houston.. I almost naturally want to wave at people here in town. They'd think I was crazy, but we don't think twice about it up there, or even towards Angleton where my mom's property (Butterfly Hill) is.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  09:03:17 AM  Show Profile
We all wave around here, too. Sometimes it is a "wave" wave; other times it is two fingers lifted off the steering wheel. Other ones are two fingers brushed by your temple in the general direction of the person you're waving at, while nodding your head.
I don't often wave in town though; unless it is someone I know.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  09:08:18 AM  Show Profile
Everyone waves here too. Everyone!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I hope the country wave never dies out! Let's promise to always keep it going! ;D

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  10:27:40 AM  Show Profile
I think the country wave has been around since the beginning of time, and I hope its still here at the end.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  10:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love the WAVE!!! HA.. I do it here and people hesitate at first and then slyly wave!! TEE HEE HEE!!! I did it all the time in Texas...it's just the way it is!!! : ) YEE HAW!!!

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile
Here in farm country we all wave even if we don't know the person. Just the polite thing to do. When my kids were little (we were always out walking on the road--ponies and stuff) and had the 'stranger danger' talk they thought I shouldn't wave to just anybody--but we all survived. Now my youngest get a bit irate if someone doesn't wave back. LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  1:46:12 PM  Show Profile
In eastern Oklahoma you get the two finger steering wheel wave with a head bob :)

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  2:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Love it, Merry.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We wave here in SW rural Colorado . . . I am "wogging" (power walk/job) on the road a lot and there's a lot of waving then as well.

Yup . . . gotta keep the "country wave" alive and well!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  7:08:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm a waver, too. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  9:09:48 PM  Show Profile
I learned the 2 finger steering wheel/head bob wave from my daddy. We don't do it here in town (that would be the "one" finger while screaming and honking wave-LOL). Anytime I'm out in the country the wave is a must. It is a big disappointment when it's not reciprocated!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I love waving. We have lots of walkers here, and I wave at all of them. There is an old black man who lives down the road, and I often pass him as I drive by - he is always walking. He does a subtle little raising of his hand, leaving his arm straight down. But everytime I pass him, I look to see if he raises his hand out. It makes me feel good. I always wave at him, even if my car has passed, I put my hand out the window.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  10:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Where I live, people tend not to like to make eye contact when you approach them walking down the street. So...the waving of the hand doesn't exist. It's a snooty area. There's another beautiful area that I always like to drive through because the country homes are so gorgeous and I pine for them! It's a very high end area, but the people always wave at you. I would drive along, and anyone who is walking on the side of the road waves or nods their head like you're their neighbor. I wave back....I wish I was their neighbor!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  10:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I have to tell this...when we first moved to the country the people do the raised pointer finger on the steering wheel. My nephew was little when we came here. One day he said "Aunt LaVonna, it is only a little bit different living in the country and living in the city. They just wave with a different finger. The pointer finger is the country wave the middle finger is the city wave."

Sometimes you just do not have a come back line.

LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  10:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Very cute, LaVonna! He said it perfectly.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

vtstevens
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Virginia
Woodinville WA
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  5:40:11 PM  Show Profile
We learned the country wave living on my in-laws farm in Sulphur, Oklahoma. It is just the thing to give you that cozy, country, "I'm a member" feeling. We do it here in rural Washington, new folks don't have a clue what it's about, old timers do. We'll never stop doing it, it's Americana.

getting ready.....
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  6:07:41 PM  Show Profile
We have finger wavers here. And head nodders. But it's mostly guys in trucks. Hardly ever women unless we know each other.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  08:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
If someone waves at me or I know them then I wave back. :)
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile
TRUE!

It's the guys in trucks doin' the waving!

I also drive a truck...a Toyota, so it kind of takes me aback when the 'good 'ole boys wave even though I'm driving a foreign truck.

We get the full out wave, head nod and 2 finger thingy.

Folks in their yards also wave. It's mostly on the back country roads.

I wave too

Kind of fun
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The country wave Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page