Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need advice for serious moisturizer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need advice for serious moisturizer Next Topic  

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  7:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Ok, ladies, I need some advice. I have had breast cancer, and as a result, I take an anti hormonal daily, called Arimidex. It suppresses all of the estrogen in my body. As a result, my body now reacts like an 80 or 85 year old, even though I'm onlyl 53. The skin on my body is aging very fast, and my arms and hands look like my mom's does in her 70's. I've tried some oils, and beeswax products to try to moisturize this skin daily. It works as long as it's on my skin, but the minute I wash, the skin looks old, and papery again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a heavy duty moisturizer, something that won't break me out, I'm very sensitive to chemicals too.

Thanks in advance,

Jenny from Kansas

Farmgirl Sisterhood #722

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  8:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am big fan of The Body Shop's body butters...no so greasy and work really nice. Also, can you take fish oil supplements??? Vitamin E straight on the face works too. Everday, I use a body scrub and then moisturize with Target Brand Cocoa Butter Lotion then the Body Shop stuff on top..I have an OLD raggedy bathrobe that I put on and leave on for as long as I can..socks too!! : )

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  9:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Heather :) I do take Fish Oil supplements Can't use most commercial moisturizers, due to the paraben contents. My cancer was estrogen positive, so I stay away from paraben. But I'll look into the ones you have suggested.

Farmgirl Sisterhood #722
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  10:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
This is the one I use:
http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/body-butter/prod4010022

I see paraben listed. How does this affect estrogen levels??? Thanks and I hope you find something.

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  11:27:00 PM  Show Profile
My suggestion is to get coconut oil the virgin kind that has not been processed too much. Buy sea salt, if you are close to a whole foods type place they sell it in bulk. Anyway, take a small bowl and mix the salt and coconut oil- it will be a creamy texture. Put it on just like Heather said let it soak in a bit. This removes the dead skin cells and rehydrates what is underneath. Then take a hot shower and then apply the coconut oil by itself. Put on your oldest sweats and later you will feel divine.
Heather, you try it too. Nobody needs the parabens. For just moisturizing alone I like jojoba oil or emu oil as they both absorb really quick.
I make my own body butter to do my massages with but I know some of the farmgirls make some and advertise it on here. Check their sites. But do try the scrub recipe. If you cannot get anything else try olive oil and sugar. Most of us have that in the cabinet.

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  07:59:13 AM  Show Profile
To answer about the parabens. Parabens can mimic estrogen when soaked through the skin. Since some breast cancers are estrogen positive, meaning, they feed off of excess estrogen, I avoid parabens, as well as alot of other things. When you take a few minutes and consider the amounts of estrogen you get in your body on a daily basis, it's no wonder there is an epidemic of cancer. You get extra estrogen in milk that's not hormone free. You get extra estrogens in beef, some chicken. You get extra estrogens in anything containing parabens, and most body products do contain it, makeup, cleanser, moisturizer, body oils, body lotions, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

That's why I avoid parabens :)

Jenny

Farmgirl Sisterhood #722
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  10:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, You might want to check with Connie and see if she has something that would work! She makes her own products called NatureMaiden and they are great. I bought some of the Gardeners Salve and it's a life saver on my hands. I don't have a garden but I wash dishes by hand and I have a wringer washer and I also wash my own wool and quite often my hands get terribly dry and the salve works wonders! She also is offering a 20% discount to farmgirls if you put in the code FARMGIRL20 when you order! http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36297

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  11:18:03 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely agree with Monica. Also, Connie has a soap she calls a Butter Bar. It is wonderful for helping out with dry skin. Instead of drying you out, it mosturizes your skin. That would be helpful in conjuction with a mosturizer.

I don't know if this is feasible for you or not, but I have used straight olive oil. Once you put it on, you have to wait a bit for it to soak into the skin. But it is some really wonderful stuff. I use organic extra virgin olive oil.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

lotuspeach
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

CA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  6:39:01 PM  Show Profile
I highly recommend the all natural, handmade "Butters with Benefits" made by sumbody. It's a combination of shea and plant butters with oils that are more easily absorbed than shea butter alone. I've tried other salves but they aren't easily absorbed. I use "Butters with Benefits" on my hands, which I wash a lot and used to be chronically dry. I use it at night before bed and it makes a marked difference all day: I barely need lotion during the day now as my hands have been healed over night. It contains no parabens. It's done wonders on my hubby's rough elbows too! Here's a link to the website where you can get it: http://www.sumbody.com/products02.php?pID=399&scat=

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  7:21:51 PM  Show Profile
How about good old fashioned olive oil?
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need advice for serious moisturizer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page