MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  6:55:26 PM  Show Profile
My father had an accident today involving a broken hose at a gas station and got covered in gas....I mean covered! He made it home but not without stinking up the car! Needless to say his clothes and the interior of the car are sickeningly stinky and I don't know how to get rid of it! Does anyone out there know of a way to get rid of the stink? I've put them outside to try to air them out before I try to wash them - I don't want to stink up the washer. And I don't know what to do about the car! Help!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  8:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Baking soda dry sprinkled on the seats and allowed to absorb the smell then vacume. It will take some time.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  05:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about the car - but for the clothes, after airing them out, try washing with an entire cup of "Simple Green".

I used to use this on fire-fighting clothes, which would often have gasoline on them, and it works pretty well. Hang the clothes out to dry instead of drying in the dryer. You may need to wash this way twice.

The clothes may not be salvageable if this doesn't work. :(
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  05:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Add a litle oil of wintergreen (you can get it at the pharmacy) to the wash with the clothes. That's what my mom did with my dad's clothes. It will help neutralize the smell of the gasoline. You can also wash the seats with it. Just add it to a bowl of sudsy hot water and scrub them down.
There's nothing worse than the smell of gas. :(

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  09:52:34 AM  Show Profile
Gas is oil based, put a heavy layer of corn meal on the car seat, allow to sit over night, vacum, and repeat as needed, put fish tank filter charcoal in a plastic bowl and leave in car, it will help absorb the smells. As far as the clothes, dawn dish soap squirted directly on the areas of gas, put in a plastic trash bag over night, then fill a tub with hot water, submerge clothes, let sit til water is cold, rinse with hot water til all dishsoap is gone, repeat as nessacery. My late husband was a diesel mechanic, I dealt with fuel and gas on clothes all the time. Good luck.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  12:17:20 PM  Show Profile
When hubbs works on the logging trucks he gets covered in diesel and grease. I also use Simple Green in the wash, at least a cup like Bev said. Hopes this helps

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! You all are lifesavers! We were totally bummed because the car is only a year old and now it stinks so bad! You guys are the greatest!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Gas on clothes! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page