CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile
I found some rennet tablets yesterday, unexpectedly (can never find stuff when you are actually looking, right?) and I'd like to make some cheese with them. I've never made mozzarella before but I'd love to give it a try. Has anyone been successful making their own mozzarella?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:59:33 AM  Show Profile
I am really wanting to try this myself! I just started buying raw milk from a local dairy and thought I could use the leftover milk to make chesse. So far, however, there hasn't been enough milk left over to make cheese!!! Oh well, I'll just have to buy extra. LOL!!

I did manage to skim the cream and it is souring on the counter for sour cream butter. YEAH!!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have heard that mozzarella is easy and fun to make! I want to try it this winter! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile
I have made it with both cow and goat. Turned out the same. You need real heavy plastic gloves because you have to handle it when it's hot to pull it. It's really good and easy. Then with the whey you can make ricotta. Very easy and so good! Good luck with yours.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  1:57:44 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann, do you have good instructions for making Mozzarella? If not, I can e-mail some to you.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1680 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1680 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  6:03:02 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to know how to make mozzarella.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  6:27:07 PM  Show Profile
I make it alot..it is quick and easy and everyone loves it. I like the tutorial and recipe at New England Cheesemaking supply's website...that is the one I use. Be sure to use rennet made for cheesemaking..the kind for dessert stuff doesn't work the same.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  6:53:22 PM  Show Profile
I tried it with goat's milk and it was a disaster...even the pigs turned thier noses up (LOL). I'm wondering, Jenny, did you use cow's milk? Kristin, I'd love to find out your recipe and technique. Thanks!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:50:03 PM  Show Profile
This is long but here goes.

1 gal milk
1 1/4 tsp. citric acid
1/4 tsp. liquid rennet or 1/8 rennet tablet
1/2 cup cool water

In a stainless steel or enamel pot, place the cool milk. Dissolve citric acid powder in 1/4 cup cool water add to milk. Stir well with slotted spoon. Brind temp up to 88. Mix rennet with the other 1/4 cup water and stir into milk about 10 seconds.

Allow milk to set at 88 for 15 minutes to coagulate. After setting 15 minutes, the curd should be firm and when you dip your finger into the curds they will break cleanly over your finger and the whey will fill the depression where your finger has been. Cut into 1 inch cubes with a long knife and let rest 10 minutes.

Then place the pot of curds into a sink of very hot water and slowly bring the temp up tp 108. ( I had to put back on stove because my water is not that hot.) Curds will shrink during this process. Keep at 108 for 35 minutes. Drain curds into a colander for 15 minutes.

Save the whey if making ricotta When drained it's ready to be heat treated to get their stretch.

I use the microwave method. It's quicker. Break up a cupful of curds in a bowl, add salt to taste. Put in microwave and heat on high 50 seconds.

Take out and work cheese with the back of a spoon, like kneading bread. Put back in microwave for 25 seconds.

Again work with a spoon to stretch and shape the cheese. Work into a ball with the hands and allow to cool. Cheese will become opaque and shiny. It might take a few times to get to this stage. It did me. I liked the stretching part. You just have to experiment with it to get it to where you want it. You want it to be soft and you might have to heat it several times to get it there. The salt, too. If you like a salty cheese add more. You might want to store with a little of the whey.

With the ricotta all you need is a gallon of the whey ( and you will have nearly a gallon of whey left after amking moz.) and 1 1/2 qts. of whole goat or cow milk. Heat whey to 195. When it reaches 195 slowly stir in the whole milk. Bring back ti 195, stirring often to keep from scorching.

The ricotta is ready to drain when you see little white flecks forming in the pot/ I use the jelly straining bags for this. It's so much easier than lining a colander with cheese cloth. It always falls in on me. And the jelly bag comes with a stand. Hang to drain an hour. Remove cheese from bag and add salt to taste. For a creamier cheese, add whole milk or heavy cream. Keeps about a week.

It's really all about the temp amd the time. You have to hold the moz. at that temp. So you have to be right there the whole time. Plan your day around this time. It's not good to loose that much milk. If you have chickens, they love the whey, too.

So good luck. If you have more ? I'll see if I can help.

I also have another really easy recipe to make a soft cheese using vinegar. It's alot like ricotta and makes good garlicky dip.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:52:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Kris....I'm anxious to give it another try.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:52:14 PM  Show Profile
This is from the book "Goats Produce, too" by Mary Jane Toth. Really good book with lots of recipes. Also there are some recipes in Animal, Veg, Mineral by Barbara Kingsolver. I looked that up on line one day. It's similar to this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  9:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Do you use citric acid from a cheese supplier?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  11:38:40 PM  Show Profile
Yes I used cow's milk. I got my citric acid and liquid vegetable rennet (lasts forever..you only use 1/4 tsp in a batch using a gallon of milk) from New England Cheesemaking supply. You can buy citric acid other places but I can never seem to find it.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  06:47:27 AM  Show Profile
I have actually been able to find citric acid at the grocery store. I use it when I can tomatoes. :)

Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  08:05:49 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chaddsgirl

I have actually been able to find citric acid at the grocery store. I use it when I can tomatoes. :)

The only thing I've found is called "fruit fresh" and it has other stuff in it besides citric acid. Wonder if it would work?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  08:40:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't think so. I have a hard time finding plain citric acid here in the grocery store too. You can try a "emergency essentials" type of store where they sell food storage items and stuff. I can sometimes find it there. We live in the boonies so it isn't as easy to find some things. I think the fruit fresh would not work though.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  08:50:54 AM  Show Profile
I ordered mine from Hoegger Supply Co. www.thegoatstore.com. 800-221-4628

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Oct 08 2009 08:52:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1680 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1680 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  6:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny and Kris for the info and recipe. Will try.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm. The kind I get from the grocery store is just citric acid. I have seen fruit fresh, but I know it has other stuff in it besides citric acid. I would be hesitant to use it. I can send you some if you are having a hard time finding it!

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  2:53:28 PM  Show Profile
I have tried 3 different recipes and my absolute favorite is the on on instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Great-Mozzarella-Cheese/

I have used both pasturized non-homoginized cow's milk and raw cow's milk, with great success.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  09:03:16 AM  Show Profile
I have bought citric acid at a pharmacy.

Gratefully living on the "fat of the land".
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Making mozzarella? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page