Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic another goat question. Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  4:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies, I was wondering what type of goat wormer you use? I'm going to have to worm them sometimes this month. Thanks for the help!
Maggie

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  6:00:21 PM  Show Profile
This year I had an awful time with worms. I had a few with bottle jaw and it scared me so much. So I have had to treat real aggresively with Cydectin then Valbazen then another one I can't remember the name of but they use it for cows. I gave it orally for goats. I alternated every 2 weeks for a month at least. Then again a few months later. Next year they get wormed a day after kidding. That's the big mistake I made this spring. Didn't do it. I had way too many goats, too, on not very much land. So downsized alot. I am down to just 4 does out back and 5 bucks up front. 3 of the bucks will be butchered in Jan. and I'll keep 3 to use for breeding next year.

I really like Cydectin. There is no waiting to use the milk with that. It's very strong so I do wait a week anyway. It works.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  05:55:58 AM  Show Profile
I use Cydectin as well. I did get some sort of worm that the Cydectin didn't kill. MY Vet had me use a horse wormer. It really worked well. It started with an "E", right now I can't remember the name. I have been told you should alternate wormers.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Ivermec. That's the other wormer. I have milk goats and don't like to have to wait 2 weeks before we can drink the milk. That's why I like Cydectin. With Ivermec there is a longer wait.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  6:25:08 PM  Show Profile
I used Safeguard when I had goats. Ivermec before that..but like you said..longer wait time.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2903 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2903 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  6:45:44 PM  Show Profile
I use Molly's Herbal wormer. Check out Fiasco Farm
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, I should have said that I'm looking for a more natural wormer too.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
maggie,
depending on where you live a herbal wormer may be enough (molly's is good), but in a climate where parasites thrive naturaly you may want to use ivermec or safeguard occasionaly. in nc where it is very damp and parasites are rampant, i used a chemical wormer about twice a year.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  08:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Corrine is right. I used Hoegger's Herbal wormer for about 2 years, and it just didn't take care of everything here where we live.
I was wrong about the name of the horse wormer. It was "Quest". My vet told me to use that. It worked.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  2:46:38 PM  Show Profile
I have really had the worst time with the barberpole worm. That one will drink their blood from their stomach and literally take them down in 48 hours if you don't hit them hard. I have used Molly's and Hoeggers for years but it does not touch the barberpole worm (stomach worm). I tried using Cydectin this year myself. I was very leary and have only used it on the does whose eyelids were pale.I am nervous about using this product. But so far no ill side effects. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  4:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Please keep me posted Linda how she does.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  08:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linda, How does that goat wormer working for you???
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  10:11:43 AM  Show Profile
So far it seems to be working pretty well. Her eye lids have pinked back up and she is eating well. But as far as milk withdraw on cattle I know there is none when used as a pour on. The vet told me when you use it in dairy animals as a drench there is but he could not remember how long. So I didn't use the milk for a week. I am going to go on the internet and do a little research and see what I can find out.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  05:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Verm-X, available online for me, their literature says it has been used in Europe for years with excellence results, I have been using it for about 3 months now, and the girls appear to be just fine, I have not had them to the vet for a worm load check, I am checking their eye lids right now. Plan on getting a remanufactored microscope and learning to do the worm checks myself.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  07:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well yesterday I went with my dad to the farm store to look at goat wormers and all they had was Safeguard. We looked at safeguard and it looked like it only covered 3 types of worms. Now that I think of it they also had Cydectin and Ivermec. The Cydectin said it was only for cattle and the Ivermec was only for sheep and cattle. So me and my dad were wondering since everyone on here really likes Cydectin if you can get it in for goats in an oral form, and where would you get it? Thanks again!!!
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  10:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Most wormers are not labeled for goats. They are usually for cattle and horses or sheep. The safeguard goat wormer doesn't seem to work very well on goats plus I think the worms are pretty much immuned to it. I usually only give safeguard to the babies. But I always buy the cattle safeguard paste... it seems to works better for me.

The cydectin once again is for cattle. I was told to use the pour-on cydectin for cattle as a drench for my goats from the vet. They call this extra label use by vets. I think I was told to use 4-1/2 cc for every 100 lbs. If you do a search on the internet the info should be there too. Ivomec for cattle injectable is also used as a wormer for goats but once again extra label use. The injectable is used in goats at 1cc for every 75 lbs by mouth as a drench. I know this seems confusing but ask your vet and maybe he can help you with the uses and doses.

Before you try any of these products talk to you vet. The cydectin has to be dosed very accurately by weight.Any animal can have a bad reaction.Some wormers can't be used when they are in their first 3 months of pregnancy.Others can't be used at all during pregnancy. Research alot and maybe take a manure sample to your vet to check them for worms and he or she will probably be very happy to help you out with which wormer to use and its correct dossage.Make sure its a fresh sample and put the name on the baggie so the vet can tell you which goat has what type of worms.

I have been learning for over 18 years now and still have much to learn. What works for some people doesn't seem to work for others. Some breeds of goats are much hardier and resist heavy worm loads. The warmer the climiate you live in and the smaller area your goats have to graze all impact how much worms they will have.

I have Nubians and we have very humid summers and sometimes icky wet winters. Sometimes we get really bad cold weather. The worms seem to thrive here and some of my girls I fight worms pretty bad and others do super well. Their kinda like people......each have their own problems. Good luck with your girls Maggie and keep reading and researching. Each day you will grow more confident and retain more knowledge. Take care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  10:27:22 AM  Show Profile
I have never heard of verm-x. Is that a chemical or a natural wormer? I will have to look into that one.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile
I see that its a natural wormer but could not find out whats actually in it. The other thing did you find a website that has it in the USA ? All the ones I was looking at seem to be out of the country. I will keep looking.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  07:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Linda for all the info. Wow!! Thanks for taking the time and educating me!! Yup, I'm learning lots to and I've only had them for 7 months!! There so good I just want to do things right with them. :) I think I'm going to e-mail the owners who had her first and see what wormers they used. And thank you for the words of encouragment! Thanks again!
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic another goat question. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page