ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile
I started back to work 5 months ago after taking a 6 year mom break. I am a temp working for a large lab where I worked before having my son. I was glad to leave then due to all the stress and pressure that goes with the place. I work 3 days a week and it is really getting to me. I hate being cooped up in an office all day. We just moved in to a brand new, stark, cold modern building. It is very depressing & the secretaries are crammed in way too close to each other.

It has been great to have a second income for us though and I feel guilty for wanting to quit. Money has been very tight these past 6 years and my husband is grateful for the extra money to help pay for improvements our house desperately needs. He tells me it is up to me if I want to quit. I really don't know what I should do, try to snap out of it, change positions or be a stay at home mom again. Any advice on how to cope or what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawn in IL

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  2:47:33 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest looking for a job that you may like a lot more than this one. You don't really say it is actually working you dislike it seems its where you work. Try and find something you would enjoy even if it means making a bit less money. Life is too short to stick with a job you hate.

Mj

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile
The Universe is telling you you're working in the wrong place-and I agree with Countryborn-look for a job elsewhere. And....have you ever considered asking yourself if you could pick a way to bring in an income,your choice,what would it be? Write them down. See what pops out at you. Don't dismiss your list. It could be your new life is calling you.

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  3:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Yup, I'm with everyone else. I used to work at a vet's office and it was all high drama. No one understood this as they thought: "how bad could it be? You work with animals!" But it was who and where I was working, not the clients--just very stressful. Right now, I freelance taking care of animals from their homes. Much easier, I make my on hours--not as much money, but happiness is higher on my list of priorities at this time! Good luck, I am sure you can find something!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so very much for your advice. It is wonderful to have someone understand how I feel! I really want to do something other then office/administrative work. Ideally I would like to have an outdoors type of job. I enjoy working part-time, it's this job I hate. I like the idea of sitting down and coming up with a list of alternatives. I think I am going to try to stomach this job until the Christmas break and then quit if the unhappiness I feel continues. The money is okay, but not worth making myself miserable over.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dawn,
I know exactly how you feel. A few years ago I was on the same tread mill. And while we all "get" to do things we don't necessarily want to do, at some point in our life, I knew that jumping off the tread mill was the right thing for me. So here is what I did.. and you can see if it would work for you.

I sat down with every magazine I could find and a white board. I tore out every picture that represented who and where I wanted to be. I taped it to the board. I called it a dream board.. because I could so easily stuff my dreams away while on the rat wheel. This way, I kept the dreams on the front burner so to speak. I hung the board where I could see it EVERYDAY.

I recently tore down THAT board and am working on a New board. AS.. I have accomplished all the dreams that were on that board making room for BIGGER dreams.

In this economy ~ we need to all be grateful for the jobs we have ~ but, I also think that we need to PLAN to DREAM. Allowing ourselves an exit strategy for those things that aren't working ......and a grand entrance to the things that WILL work. We sound like kindred spirits.. needing to find balance between creative and administrative. I can testify that once that balance has been found it is magical.

Here is to DREAMING BIG!

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
you sound like a good candidate for in home medical transcriptions??

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rene and Brenda for the great suggestions. My husband and I had a long talk last night and we decided it would be best if I removed myself from this current appointment. I let them know at work this morning and next Friday will be my last day! I can't believe how peaceful and happy I now feel. We will miss the extra $, but I said I would be willing to take very short term appointments, for a day or two here and there. So maybe I'll make a little extra once in awhile as I decided what it is I really want to do instead of being an administrative assistant.

Thanks to all of you for such great ideas and your support! It is wonderful to have so many farmgirl friends help me out with this!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  12:34:08 PM  Show Profile
Somedays I really hated my job. I loved the people I took care of but managment and paperwork made it bad. When I was with my patients I was happy and smiling when I had to go to meeting and classes I would tell my self I'm here for the insurance and paycheck. Being a single mom of 2 I had to keep the job. I stayed for 32 years and was thankful I did and very thankful I was able to retire when I did.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  12:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am glad you decided to move on since it was causing so much stress and unhappiness. Check out your state's job service website. Maybe you dream just is out there just waiting for you to apply!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  4:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice Alee! I will do that in a few months. Right now I need to regroup a bit before trying something new. I've had a lot of stress from my side of the family with illnesses and the news on that side is getting worse by the day. It is tough not being able to help in a real way on top of working at a job I hate has taken its toll.

I really appreciate all of your help and support!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you have made a decision. I hope it works out for you and that something else comes along. I hope you sleep better at night too.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hate my job Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page