True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  10:26:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls :)

I was wondering if you leave the rings on your canned goods. If not, could I ask why? Just curious if I should store my jars with or without the rings :) Thanks in advance :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  10:47:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon!

I take mine off after a day or so, usually when I am getting ready to put them away in my pantry. I think it is recommended that they are removed to prevent any rusting to the jars/lids, and so you can clean the jar neck off in case any food or gunky bits got between the ring and jar during processing. After I open my jar, if there is anything left, like jelly that needs to be refrigerated, I put the ring back on so I don't knock the lid off in the fridge.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  12:23:59 PM  Show Profile
I don't know why I do this but I take the rings off the stuff I pressure can and leave the rings on the stuff I water bath. I think the price of rings and lids are getting to where I will probably take them off everything. I ran out of large rings and lids and so did Walmart. Next spring I will stock up more than usual.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  2:24:40 PM  Show Profile
I usually leave the rings on, unless I run out. LOL!! Last weekend I put up a bunch of tomatoes and ran out of rings, so I had to steal a bunch from my already canned jars. :) At least it kept me from having to buy anymore....for now.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  2:48:48 PM  Show Profile
I store my canned goods in a spare room here in the house so I leave the rings on. I also decorate some of my jars with fabric circles so I use the rings to hold them in place. I think whatever is easiest for you will work as long as there is no danger of rust.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  2:53:11 PM  Show Profile
You take the rings off after 24 hrs., this way, if your seal is broken, you will know. Otherwise, you could have a jar open and "reseal"(because the ring held it on), potentially full of bacteria that could do you in.If you want to decorate the jars, do so just before giving and think about tying the fabric on with ribbon or raffia instead of a ring.
Hope this helps.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!

Edited by - sleepless reader on Oct 05 2009 2:54:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  06:16:56 AM  Show Profile
I leave mine on because I have to stack my jars and do not trust the lids to stay sealed if they get bumped. I know you are supposed to take them off to eliminate condensation and rust, but just can't bring myself to chance it.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  07:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you girls!

I think I will probably leave mine on for storage purposes and gifts. I appreciate everyone's input :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Master canners says to always take the rings off - the only time I don't is if one is stuck and I am worried about forcing it off and breaking the seal. I agree with Sleepless Reader - it could mask an unsealed and unsafe jar. I put the ring back on when I gift it to someone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  03:53:50 AM  Show Profile
I have always left mine on. Same reason, for gifting w/ cute fabric and ribbon.

That, and I also store in the house, so there's no threat of rust b/c we use everything up pretty quickly.

And if something doesn't seal. I'll know regardless.

I have had stuff unseal due to the lid being removed and just moving the jar around too much. Might have been a bad seal to begin with
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  07:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I check all of my seals after the jars have cooled and then I put the rings back on. I guess I worry about bump protection as well. I also smell all of my jars before using them and look at them too. If weird bubbles were to form or something smelled off I would rather dump the food out that eat something that might be dangerous.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  11:25:53 AM  Show Profile
Sharon (sleepless reader) - I have now adopted the practice of taking the rings off after the jars have sealed. I had read your post, the this weekend when I was removing rings to use while canning apple butter I discovered a jar I THOUGHT had sealed, but actually hadn't and had re-sealed just like you said. So now, all rings come off!! Thank you very much for posting that.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I took a canning class from our county extension agent this summer and she was adamant about taking the rings off for storage! So, that's what I've started to do. I throw the lid away as soon as I open a jar, I was getting confused about used/new jar lids . I love the plastic lids they have now for storage and freezing, does anyone use those?
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  9:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes I do and I absolutely love them. They are a buy once and re-use forever item. Pretty cheap too, gotta love that!

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts