Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Random tips... Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  8:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gals, I had to do a display/ presentation last week on living frugally and thought I'd post the tips and suggestions I wrote up for the class. You all probably have this all down pat, and can add to it, but for some this may be a good start! Hope something helps someone! :)

Yard Shopping:

Check the classifieds (AZCentral, Craigslist) for yard sales.

You can set up a ‘game plan’ to be sure to get to sales in neighborhoods you are interested in.

Most often, awesome yard sales take the extra time to post an ad.

Take a partner along!

Help each other look for what you need; if both of you are keeping an eye out for, say, size 4 girl shoes, you are more likely to walk away with some!

They can help navigate through neighborhoods and follow signs.

Your yard shopping buddy can help remind you what you are really looking for, and what your budget is.

If you don’t feel like bargaining for an item, maybe your shopping partner will do it for you!

It’s more FUN!

Be judgmental about signs.

Use the style, handwriting, materials used, etc. to help determine what
‘kind’ of sale it is that you are hunting down.

Spunky handwriting will likely have sales with lots of kid/ baby clothes books and toys.

Sloppy handwriting likely has tools, older guy clothes, computer/ electronic pieces and parts.

Neat, plain handwriting (“your mom’s handwriting”) usually means furniture, décor, books, magazines, dishes, kitchen gadgets, yarn and crafting supplies.

Set your budget by taking only what you plan to spend.

I like to stop at the gas station on my way out for a soda or water bottle and get cash back: $3, $5, $10, depending on what my circumstance is and what it is I am shopping for! When the cash is gone, or you find what you need, YOU ARE DONE.

Haggle, haggle!! Most times, people will accept half of the marked price.

Try the ‘armful technique’:

Pick up what you would like to buy (say, 10 shirts, a pair of shoes, 3 books and a DVD) and instead of adding up individual items, offer a ballpark total (“Will you take $5 for what I have here?”). Usually they will say yes, rather then go through the hassle of adding it all up.

Is it really a “Good Deal”?

Are you really in NEED of this item?

Will you wear/ use this item more then a handful of times?

Is it in the budget you have set for this outing?

If it is more then you have on you, leave it. You will likely find one at another sale on a different day.

If you’re at a yard sale, try haggling. (“I only have $3 with me. Would you take that?”)

For larger, higher priced items at yard sales, leave your name and phone number with the person. At the end of the day, if they didn’t get the $60 they had hoped for, they just might rather get $10 from you then have to haul it away or store it.

Do you need to alter the item to make it work for you?

Does it need an additional undershirt, or a coat of paint, or a few new bolts? If so, do you have these supplies on hand already? Do these supplies and time/ work needed add into the item’s cost?)

Is the item versatile?

Try bartering.

Do you make jewelry? Have tons of scrapbook supplies? Do nails/ hair? Have extra time to baby sit? Have baby clothes your kids have outgrown? Make yummy bread and jam? Have awesome sewing skills? Milk and eggs from your animals?

See what you have to offer someone else and offer it! I’ve gotten Christmas presents, clothes, exercise equipment, tools, horse tack and feed, etc. by trading for items I’ve made or had extra of. Anything’s fair game, and you never know what someone might be looking for!

Try putting an ad on Craigslist, or put the word out to your RS presidency so they can make an announcement or add it in an email….(“Sister So-and-so is in need of size 3 diapers. If you have some your child has outgrown, she can offer you 2 handmade receiving blankets in exchange.”)

Use the network of family/ friends.

I got a brand new dishwasher without paying cash, because a friend had heard ours had broken down. They knew of someone who had an extra, and 2 days later we had a new dishwasher in exchange for a few packages of pork steak and chorizo from our hog.

I got a piano from a family friend.

A family member got a dishwasher, microwave, stove and washer for their new house for ‘free’ just because people knew they were looking for these items, so when they came across them, they passed the word along!

I got a sewing machine from a relative who was getting out of their quilting hobby.

I got a new twin bed for my daughter from a relative who was downsizing.

Make it last:

Hang dry clothes!!!

Clotheslines aren’t trashy, they’re charming!!

Saves wear and tear on your clothes (what is lint, anyway, if not bits of your clothes??), saves on electricity (we saved over $100 one month this summer over the same month last year!)

Return the item to it’s proper place when you are done with it.

This will help make sure you don’t have to replace it because it was damaged or lost. This applies to everything from clothing/ shoes to kitchen appliances to DVDs.

Most ‘Dry Clean Only’ clothes are just fine if hand washed and hung/ laid flat to dry….but avoid these fabrics if you can; it’s an added hassle and dry cleaning bills are EXPENSIVE!

Find a ‘Freecycle’ group!

Freecycle is a group of people in your community who choose to pass along items that still have use or wear left in them. ALL FREE! You will find bikes, clothes, toys, kitchen appliances, office supplies, animals, accessories, computer games and programs, etc. All that is required is that you give back to the group. You can even post ‘Wanted’ items if you are in need of something in particular. More then 50% of the time, I get what I’m looking for (did I mention for FREE?!?)!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  10:20:37 AM  Show Profile
May I add one more that has served me well over the years? Remember EVERYTHING will one day be on sale again, you don't have to buy it right now! I keep a list of wishes handy and as I have a bit extra here and there from haggling, bartering, etc. I leave that money in an envelope so when I find the "wishes" I can afford it. (usually!) The funny thing is that sometimes when I find the item, I find I really don't want/need it anymore!

(Still haven't found a hand crank ice cream freezer in good condition that is built solid! :) )

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Random tips... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page