katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  11:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Any of you farm gals have a "Curly Haired Horse" ?
I have heard that they are hypo-alegenic(sp)....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  07:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Grace- there are several things that can make a horse curly. There is actually a breed called the American Bashkir Curly horse that is more hypo-allergenic than other breeds because of the shape of the hair. These horses are curly (though degree of curliness is varied and some don't actually curl but still have the distinctive hair shape) year-round, and they have to have the special hair shape to be qualified to register (As far as my understanding goes).

Then some horses get curly hairs going into winter but that is a normal coat growth pattern, especially when they are young. And then there are horses that are pre-cushing or have Cushings disease and they get winter thick curly hair all the time.

Here is a picture of a Very Curly American Bashkir Curly:

www.abcregistry.org

A picture of a curly winter coat on a non hypogenic breed:

A picture of a cushings horse:

So if you are in the market to get a horse and are considering a curly horse because of the hypoallergenic claim, be really careful. Have a vet screen for Cushings first and foremost because non-managed cushings is almost always death sentence for the horse. They will founder and that can lead to them losing their whole hoof which can't always grow back, and the process to grow it back is excruciatingly painful. Ugh, it makes me cringe just thinking about it!

Anyway then I would also contact the American Bashkir curly registry to see if the prospective horse actually qualifies and if it truly is hypoallergenic.

I also want to note that I think other breeds do run towards curly coats as part of the normal breed allowed variance but I would have to do more research to see if they are also hypoallergenic or if they just grow their hair a little different.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  4:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanx Alee,
you & I are pretty much on the same wave length as to reasearch,,,,I am hoping to find some one who actually owns one that can give me some personal advice/inputt...
I like the Paseo Finos as well, but my all time favorite horse is,,, drum roll please....Morgans.....to me they are big snuggly teddy bears in the horse world...but alas I need to keep my daughters allergies in mind and from all my research, the C.H. seems to fit the bill as well as being good natured & somewhat easy trainers....or so I have read....There is a horse rescue in Neveda and one here in WA..., that have/had C.H. so I thought I would check in with them to get some info about the breed....oh and yes, we have a very good Equine Vet lined up,,,
The one thing about C.H. is that they 'shedd' their coat in summer and look smoothe until their hair grows back in, in the Winter .
I will be riding, what ever breed I end up with, it will not be a pasture ornament.... I plan to get 2 horses,,,,as they are heard animals and need companionship. Besides I want my D.H. to ride with me,,,just like Roy & Dale, off into the sunset....singing "Happy Trails to You"...lol!
Right now hubby is in the process of pricing/purchasing pole corral matterial etc.
I have been watching Craigs List to get an idea what a nice used saddle goes for...although I can buy a decent no frills saddle in the mid $400 range......hmmmm, I may have to sit on one of those street corners w/a sign that reads.....horseless, will work for hay & pipe corral! lol!
hugz & thanx for your research, you are a true gem.
>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Sep 29 2009 4:30:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  4:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Grace, if you look up the ICHO (International Curly Horse Organization) website, they list several breeders around the Spokane area. I've contacted a few, and they were really helpful. There are even paso/curly crosses in our area. I saw one on our local craigslist within the past year, so someone bred at least one around here. From what I have heard about curlies, you really need to have the allergic person "interview" the horse. One curly might trigger the allergy while another won't. So it is good we have a few breeders around here to check out. Hopefully you will find one for your daughter to enjoy, and a Morgan for you, and some saddles..and... :)

I saw a bumper sticker the other day, it said "I used to have money, but now I have horses." :) For me, I still get so much enjoyment out of our two it's worth it.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  09:21:47 AM  Show Profile
hahaha! so true Michelle, (bumper sticker)
I have the ICHO saved in my Favs and have even found a C.H. rescue here in WA.
You are so right about the "interview"...although my daughter won't be around the horses for the most part,nor does she ride but my concern is the horse dander that I might drag into the house via my clothes etc.
I am researching, and Brain Picking,,,,anyone and everyone about the C.H.breed.
In fact a wonderful friend who works for Horse & Rider mag has given me some great advice & tips plus I am talking with some of the neighbors around here who have horses. In fact my one neighbor has said I am welcome to let my (future) horses graze in his pasture...he has 20 acres and before he lost his wife to cancer, she had horses...he still has the horse arena & barn if I needed to house for what ever reason.
I don't want to 'over think' how to house the horses but I want to make sure I know what to do and what is best for them. Proper shelter, access to water (esp. in Winter) Feed, Vet needs & requirements...I already have a Vet lined up.
I certainly do not want a "pasture ornament". I plan to ride Western Saddle.
I plan to be out there daily, to inter-act & train & ride them.
And yep, I will be checking out C.L. for what ever I can buy before having to go to Big-R and paying retail...
Hmmm, I see myself riding off into the sunset & all my hubby see's is the 'cachang' of a cash register & himself w/ a pitch fork mucking out stalls! lol!
I think that's a pretty good trade off! lol!
hugz

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile
oh & I forgot, Thank you Alee for the sweet pic's of the C.H. These are of them w/their Winter coats. They (most)shed their coats for summer, some even loose their maine & tail hairs... but other than that they pretty much look like any other horse in summer.
I don't plan to do Western Pleasure, but more of trail rides...there are so many wonderful areas to ride, like over by the Spokane River/Bowl & Pitcher...plus there are a couple of riding clubs with-in a few miles from me and then of course all this open wheatland that is pretty much no longer farmed, just sits fallow & growing weeds...
Oh & I even read that there are groups out there that collect the combed out hair from the C.H. to be used for spinning....ahh, re-purposing at it's finest! lol!
hugz

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  09:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL Grace that is so true about the cash register! A friend of a friend wrote a really funny essay about how the true economic stimulus plan would be to give everyone a horse! *rofl!* I have spent more money this summer than I care to think about on Tala, but it's all worth every penny! I love it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  12:53:12 PM  Show Profile
so true, so true.....and not only do we get a great abundance of 'horse power' but the residuals (manure) is like money in the bank....hahahahaha!
What breed is Tala?
don't ya just love 'horsen around? lol!

Go to Top of Page

judy mills
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

judy
wellington ohio
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  1:18:33 PM  Show Profile
i would like you to stop e mailing me i dont have time to read them so stop please
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  3:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Judy- You may have somehow subscribed to this thread. In the upper right hand corner you will see My Subscriptions. Click on that and then click unsubscribe. Easy-peasy and you won't get any more e-mails. :)

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  4:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Grace-
Tala is a Straight Egyptian Arabian. She was actually bred on the Palouse. You can see her home ranch's website at www.rockinheart.com and here is a picture of her sire:

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  7:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Alee, how beautiful is he!!! why does, "Fabio" come to mind? lol!
I just read that the Roy Rogers & Dale Evan's meusem(sp) is closing down by the end of the year...oh how sad.....
Happy Trails to you until we meet again....
what great memories my generations has of all the wonderful T.V. cowboys & cowgirls....

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  10:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Grace- LOL! Yes! We have called him Fabio on many occasions and if you can believe it- his mane is even longer now! He is a sweetheart as is his daughter!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  3:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Lol Fabio...

Oh, Grace are we going to have way too much fun when you get your horse and Q is "all growed up" and we can hit the trails. I think my lovely new apron will hold a bottle of wine along with some apples and cheese (THANKS). :) Then we can go on over to Montana for some riding with Alee and Tala.

Now there's a road trip and a story in the making.

Watched a show on happiness on PBS. If you get the chance, check out some information on Bhutan. They actually have a concept called "Gross National Happiness" instead of "Gross National Product". Very cool. Our investment in horses is paying off in huge hunks of happiness and health for our family. And my garden is looking forward to the "other benefits" once they "ripen".

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  5:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh Michelle,
I think you have hit on to a fabulos idea......what do you think Alee????
Hmmm, I "Vino Apron" ok, now I have to search for wine inspired fabric! lol!
Oh you are such a stinker....your gonna get me into all kinds of mischief! lol! & luvin' it!

Edited by - katmom on Oct 09 2009 5:44:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  12:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Sounds good ladies! How about a horse riding trip through Yellowstone park?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile
oh I can see us now....Alee with her Tala..her "Fabio" look-a-like (giggle),
Michelle with her teenager "quiggley"
and me with my future(I Hope) Curly horse...name unknown..but I am leaning toward "butterscotch" if it is a blondie...but for now, to dream & keep my fingers, eyes & legs crossed that Summer of 2010 brings my horse(s)...
hugz

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  4:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I have been getting Tala used to me being on the mounting block and me throwing my leg over her back. She has been very calm and sweet about it- curiously looking back and nuzzling my foot once. She thinks it's pretty cool that her itchy spot on her neck gets scratched so much! LOL I won't actually get on her until spring though! Comeon spring!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Definitely Yellowstone. And I have a perfect pair of boots to sling into a wine cooler tote for the saddle. All I could think of while at the park this summer was how great it will be to one day pack in weed-free feed and explore horseback. It may take me awhile before Q is ready for such a journey, but it is a goal and I do so want to do it. Better for the company shared!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Curly Haired Horse... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page