TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  7:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! Tomorrow starts my big adventure into vegetable gardening! I am putting in a 60' x 80' garden with corn, tomatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, watermelon, squash, cucumbers, canteloupe, radish, and pumpkin. I am renting a roto tiller tomorrow and probably won't be able to move my arms--but I am so excited!!

Wish me luck!

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  7:52:44 PM  Show Profile
You go girl!! When I use our roto tiller, it is usually my thumbs and palms of my hands that hurt from holding the controls. Sounds like a great size for a garden. I get excited every year when it comes time to wake up the veggie plot and turn the soil and plant. Still too cold to plant most things here, but I can do my onions and lettuce. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  05:30:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn!! Isn't is exciting? Sometimes when this time of year comes I lie (sp?) awake in bed planning out my garden and dreaming of big green beautiful plants!!! This is my favorite time of year. It's plenty warm out but not hot by any means, just comfortable and it's so pleasant to work outside.

Your garden is going to be a wonderful size. Mine is 50x20 so a bit smaller than yours but it's wonderful for me. Maybe someday when I really get the hang of gardening, I'll expand . This year I'm redoing my garden and putting in all new raised beds and let me tell you so far it's so much better. I've got my hoops and row covers and my compost bin going, I can't wait!!!!
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  05:38:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Anne and Kristi! Anne - its too late here for onions and lettuce so I am going to try those in the fall. Good luck, Kristi, with redoing your garden - wow, hoops and row covers - that is awesome. Please keep me posted on your gardens as well. I just love this time of year - everything here is turning that bright new green and the plum and pear trees are in blossom - gorgeous! Can you share pictures of your gardens? I am going to take a before, during and various after photos to share! Its going to be sunny and 72 here today-perfect!

D.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  06:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Dawnn -

Glad to post photos when things get started. Wow 72 degrees, I think we might hit upper 40's here today. It's amazing the difference in climate between you and us. You can't plant lettuce or onions - too warm and I can't because it is still a bit too cold - funny.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  07:00:57 AM  Show Profile
WE will be lucky to get out of the 30's today and got more snow last night. This late winter stuff is bugging me..it was so warm just a couple weeks ago..even last week we had some nice sunny days with all the snow gone. Looks like early January on a normal year out there this morning!! How fun that you are able to get started already..we have a couple months before we can plant garden without protection here..I will no doubt try to get some tomato plants out with Wall o Waters before that though. If you gals haven't tried them they are wonderful and do get you some extra time before the last frost..especially great for tomatoes!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  6:23:10 PM  Show Profile
I would love to post pictures as soon as I can get around to taking them. I would like to wait until I get all my beds in place first. It may be a couple weeks though, I'm in the middle of a move!!! Bear with me. I would love to see pictures of yours as well, in fact anyone who wants to post a picture--we can get a lot of ideas from one another!!
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  7:42:59 PM  Show Profile
I love to see pictures of people's farms, coops, gardens, houses! It must be why I love magazines so much. I will take pictures one I have something completed. (I did take the "during" pictures of our house remodel - wow, what a mess! My DH is so exhausted - he is doing the total job himself. We have no kitchen and no bathrooms in the new house (good thing our other house hasn't sold! It is so exciting though - the house has a good "feel" and with stained concrete floors and half the square footage - it will be a wonderfully simple home.)

Anyway...I am getting off the topic. To all -please post pictures of your gardens when the are up and going- if someone would like to post but doesn't have a digital, you could send me the photos and I will scan and post for you.

In addition to the veggies, we are also planting tons of Sunflowers, Morning Glories (Grandpa Otts - Seed Savers!), Hyacinth Bean, Fox Glove, Hollyhock, Cypress Vine, Marigolds, Cosmos, Bacehlor Buttons, and more. My DH is right in that I went a little crazy with the seeds, but I cant wait!

I am so exhausted and I am only half done roto tilling the plot. Back at it bright and early.

G'Night!
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Oooh...all you Texas girls are so lucky that you can start tilling your gardens now! It will be a good 6-7 weeks before I can even get out to start tilling mine. I'm so jealous!

Dawnn, I wish you the best of luck with your brand new garden. It's hard work, but sooooo rewarding. Please let us know how you make out. And please send us Canadian farmgirls some warm Texas weather so we can get out to our gardens sooner!

Oh, and Aunt Jenny, I have tried the Wall o Waters, they really do work, especially in snowy Canada!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  5:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alison! I am very excited and very sore! Today I laid out most of the beds - I have 5 left to do tomorrow. I was feeling overwhelmed today when I went out to start and just saw this huge space with dirt and 2,000 pounds of compost (yes, 2,000 pounds!) - how would I every put my carefully laid plan into action? My DH made me a frame out of wood- first 6' x 6' for my corn beds (6 in all!) and then 4' x 8'for the rest. It made is so easy to place the frame, dig around it and fill in for the raised beds and on to the next! By the time we finished for the day I could see my garden coming together. My kids even got into when I let them buy their own packet of seeds -my 5 year old son picked carrots, my 3 year old son picked snapdragons and my daughter (4 years old) is very excited to grow pickles! I love it when they get so into a project with me - even I can't wait to taste those "pickles".

Sending some warm thoughts and wishes North!
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  10:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am so jealous of you guys, my garden is still a far off dream. Where i want my garden boxes this year is still under a foot of snow.
Could someone please explain this wall O water thing to me? it sounds intreging(sp)

Alaska Girl all the Way
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  2:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Valerie -

Check our gardenersupply.com, they have the wall of water. It is a plastic ring about 2' high that are actually vertical tubes attached all together (guess that would be the best description). You fill the tubes with water. Works pretty good.

Anne

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic 1st Veggie Garden! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page