Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What to do if you can't sleep?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What to do if you can't sleep? Next Topic  

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  2:20:13 PM  Show Profile
So lately I have been unable to sleep. I am not sure why, but I work on about four hours of sleep a night if I am lucky. I am not at all tired during the day so I just go on with life. I am a sahm to a boy who started kindergarten this year. I get up at 3:30am to help with milking our 85 head dairy herd, then I come in make breakfast, get my son off to school, do dishes, laudry, get the house cleaned up and then I get to crafting. I already have all of my nieces, nephews and parents done for Christmas because of my lack of sleep. i make everything so I feel I am ahead of the game. I have a quilt that will hopefully be quilted tomorrow. Then I have my son's last few things to do.
What do you do when you can't sleep? I think I am going to start needing new ideas!!! LOL

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2309 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  2:31:22 PM  Show Profile
I sometimes have this problem too Angela, for me what works is getting up and moving to the couch to sleep for a little while. If that doesn't work try a really boring book. I've tried working on my crafts, but that seems to get my mind going with other projects I want to do, so I stick to the book. I wish I had you energy, there are days I could really use it!

Julie

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile
Boy Angela I agree, I wish I could do half of what you do everyday! I go right to sleep but, every night (well at least 5 out of 7) I wake up at abot 2:00am and I lay there and lay there. Like Julie sometimes the couch works, sometimes not but, I also cannot work on anything or then my little brain comes alive even more. Wish I had a suggestion for you sorry!

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:11:58 PM  Show Profile
I do keep my crafting to quiet things...no sewing on the machine. I usually keep a knitting or crochet project at my bedside so I don't have to get up and move around. But I can't believe how much I have gotten done though. It does at least make me feel like I accomplish something other than chores:)

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:31:55 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful to be young and full of energy. If your not tired or worn out I surely would not worry about it. You get so much done plus get all your homemade things done. Here let me pat you on the back!! You make me tired, I'll take a nap for you, that is what friends are for. LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2309 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Move over Melody June for that nap, I could really use one.

Julie

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:51:32 PM  Show Profile
When I can't sleep there is always solitaire on the computer. It makes me sleepy in no time, unless I'm winning!

Betty In Pasco
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  4:07:56 PM  Show Profile
It's funny I am reading this now because I just finished up a hooded scarf for an "older" (21) year old niece and now I am wondering what I am gonna get into tonight....oh I know, a cupcake hat and mittens *wink wink* Melody June:) Oh and thanks for taking that nap for me Melody and Julie...I certainly feel refreshed. heheheh LOL

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  4:58:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm tired just reading all you've done. Good night

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  5:54:46 PM  Show Profile
Did you know that Calcium promotes good sleep as well as healthy bones?
I take 2 TBS of liquid calcium every evening. I rarely have trouble sleeping ever!!! Ok, I know I am pregnant and I have 3 other kids but really, it does help. It also helps stable your mood, a natural pain reliever even for menstrual cramps!! It's really a handy thing to take!!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  6:04:47 PM  Show Profile
I usually head for the warm milk. I do take calcium but if I take the recommended dosage I sleep heavily and dream all night. So, I opt for the warm milk if I have been sleeping and then awaken. One night I got up at 3:30 and by 7:00am my whole house was clean! That is a rare occassion and my daughter was coming for a visit so I had a bit of motivation going on there too.
I think my lack of sleep has more to do with menopause than anything else. Anyone experience that? Maybe you all are still young for that??

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  6:47:46 PM  Show Profile
I do get my fair share of calcium, as we own and operate a dairy farm.LOL However I do take calcium supplements for menstrual cramps. I found that out when I was pretty young. I do think I am a little too young for menopause though, only being 30. I was always a person who loved sleep when I was younger, but since I have married my husband, he claims it is in the name. It seems that his grandma never slept much and the same with his mother. Maybe it is in the name;) LOL
I also think my problem might be that all day it is go, go, go so when everyone is resting quietly, it ME time. IDK but I do know I am getting many things accomplished:)

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  7:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I have trouble sleeping I read a book or listen to an audiobook until I am asleep. Or I will work on crafts or clean the house. If I start feeling run down then I take some Melatonin supplement.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  5:58:11 PM  Show Profile
When I can't sleep, I take a Bendadryl. It always works.

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

Sara317
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Sara
Munroe Falls Ohio
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  6:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Two Tylenol PM....eases the aches of the day and helps you rest. I was very, very hesitant to use it but it's not been a problem for me. Sweet dreams.
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  7:53:40 PM  Show Profile
I think I may be in perimenapause but I'm not sure-I'm 46,but I am experiencing a pretty sleepless night about every 6-8 weeks...for no reason. If I'm PMSing,I find myself being a mental worry wort lying quietly in the dark.Otherwise,I just lay there as if I get up,my Dad is across the hall & he'll ask "are you all right?" So as not to wake him or keep him awake,I usually lay in the dark. Listening to a guided meditation on my ipod helps. Benedryl does help allergies & one sleep,as does drinking a cup of Celestial Seasonings "Tension Tamer" tea. Calcium is a great sleep remedy! So I don't get up & craft,or read.

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Ways that I try to relax so I can sleep:

~I take 1000 mg of Calcium and 500 mg of Magnesium about a half an hour before I sleep
~Drink either a Sleepytime tea or some warm milk with a splash of honey and nutmeg
~Take a relaxing bath
~I need to have our bedroom slightly cooler, the right temperature makes a world of difference
~Nice, fresh sheets!
~Reading is what usually helps me to unwind and fall asleep.

I hope you can get some rest soon Angela!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What to do if you can't sleep? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page