Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Hot/cold flashes? thanks for advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hot/cold flashes? thanks for advice Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  5:17:15 PM  Show Profile
This is unexpected. I'm not 40 yet.

I swear I had a hot flash a few weeks ago. Classic sudden drenched in sweat, had to lay down on the floor, followed by cold clammy dizzy nauseated.

About the time I convinced myself it was just a random power surge, I had another one this morning. Been taking my temp. all day (I work at a school and we're on watch for all flu-like symptoms and sending kids home every day). My temp. is all over the place (96.6 to 99.5)!

Now, I'm thinking I should go talk this over with my family Dr. but the last few appointments have left me thinking I need to find a new Dr. I don't feel like coming back in to discuss more weird things going on after a nurse told me I was just weird (nervous laugh) ... In the meantime, does anyone have any sage advice? What is this?

Could it be hot flashes?

Thanks for any help! :)

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Sep 28 2009 12:15:01 PM

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:04:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm not too far into 40, and after experiencing the "classic" symptoms, and deciding that I wasn't dying of something, I went in for my annual physical and mentioned it to my doc. When they drew blood, she had them run a hormone test and yep...I'm officially starting "the change" (as my MIL calls it lol!) Don't want to start hormones, so just trying to embrace it (hahaha) and see where it goes. I'm anxious for any sage advice that comes along through this thread!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:05:46 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,

It sounds like it may be Perimenopause. I am 45 and started the same exact thing about 4 years ago. I thought that I was dealing with the flu forever. I have not yet begun Menopause. From what I have read, a woman can have Perimenopause for up to 10 years before Menopause kicks in. I would make an appointment with your doctor (not the nurse!) to rule out anything else. What has helped me is Pro-gest by Emerita. It has does wonders for me with my moods and the temperature changes. I hope you can find some answers and relief soon! I have also found that taking soy products has helped ease the symptoms.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Sep 23 2009 6:10:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh it could be and women that have had hysterectomys go through it earlier. In talking to other women I found that it was easier if you had no children or more than one. Quess where I am stuck I had one.
I got the wise ways book from Susan Weed and have been drinking nettle & clover tea to help. It's a total mind boggler though when they come on so quick and your mind goes blank. Its a good idea to quit the coffee if you can and up your vitamin protien intake. Actually anything hot, stress, sugar, etc can trigger them.
This is susan weeds site with lots of free reading.
www.menopause-metamorphosis.com

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle,
I am 54 and still getting my ..... and I don't get hot flashes yet I get really cold and have to take hot showers in the middle of the night ..I don't sleep most of the time and I get heart palpitations ! One of my daughters is 29 and gets a hot flash on occasion. And as for doctors.... well they are hit and miss... that is why doctors have practices, because they practice on us. It is rare to find a good doctor. But when you find one ... hold on to him. You might just have that pre menopausal thing you hear about. Or maybe you just have a bug, there are so many things going around these days.
I take beta blockers now for my racing heart... and the heart doctor says my heart problem is non life threatening. You can look into the thyroid thing where you take your temperature every morning before getting out of bed for a few days. What ever you do don't worry. That always makes things worse ... well it does for me. I am sure there are a lot of gals here that have the same symptoms . Our bodies are truly amazing . I feel like I am falling apart some times. I used to chase my husband up the stairs all our married life and a few days ago we were laughing because he was ahead of me on the stairs and he was trying to hurry up them and I just reached a little and we laughed at our selves... we just wobbled up the stairs.
I hope you feel better and peaceful .

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Farmgirl sister # 34
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  7:03:39 PM  Show Profile
Definitely sounds like perimenopause. Dr. John Lee wrote a couple of books about it. What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause and the same title on perimenopause. They are worth the read.
I started when I was 38 years old. It has been awhile but I have been on the down side now for a couple of years. It does get better. Most say it takes around ten years to complete menopause. Well, going from the start to the end of the cycles anyway.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  7:16:47 PM  Show Profile
You said, "Classic sudden drenched in sweat, had to lay down on the floor, followed by cold clammy dizzy nauseated."

You may want to let your doctor hear this. He may want to check your thyroid. A simple blood test with tell if it is working correctly. My girlfriend thought she was having early memopause issues but found out her thyroid was off. It controls the body temp.
She had the same thing you said above.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm.. I wonder if that's my problem? I don't really get hot flashes so to speak but I'm always hot. My husband shivers in the house and I've got a river running between the "girls". I'm 37 and skip around some on the....some months yes and some no if yes very light. The sleeping has been off kilter for several years now. I have cut sodas completely out of my diet except for the occasional root beer float (gotta love them in the summer) and drink lots of decaf iced teas. That seemed to help along with staying on my multivitamin. Never thought about the thyroid maybe we should have that checked. Thanks for that idea.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  12:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I'm going to set an appt. with a new doctor and have a good talk. I did just get knocked out by some bug. Not sure if the two are related, but I'll leave that to the doc. Either way, I'm going to find a new medical care provider. Thanks!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  12:06:17 PM  Show Profile
My verdict is in...flu. Yep. I'm happy to have the flu. I guess the first "hot flash" was the first time it tried to get me, but I was healthy enough to fight it off. Only 1 week back at school then. Of course, come Friday of last week, when the second "flash" hit, I was under more stress from my schedule and had been fighting the darn bug off, but finally lost.

All in all, thanks for all the advice. It is good to know that when a body reacts oddly it is important to go get checked out because it could be "nothing = flu" or something really in need of more than rest and liquids. I certainly can't tell the difference. Sadly, the ER doc who helped me out only does ER. :) But I sure appreciate a straight-shooter. Maybe after this wave of flu passes, I'll call her for a recommendation to a good family doc.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Gloria Bonde
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Gloria
Hot Springs SD
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls - I can really relate with the hot flashes. I had surgical menopause in my 30's and tried all kinds of hormone replacement therapies. When you're that young you need it. Finally, I went to a doctor who uses bioidentical hormones. They tested me and made a creme with the right amounts for me. That ended the hot flashes. I use very little of the creme and I no longer stick my head out the window in the dead of winter (as my husband drives)
www.ahealthygardener.com

Be Healthy Work From Home
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  6:16:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm so there with the hot flashes. Hubby is shivering and I'm opening doors and windows. Then last nite, I got really cold, bundled up in the sheets and comforter and then was hot and couldn't stand for my mini-doxies (who sleep with us) to be near me. The doxies put off an incredible amount of heat, way too much for me. It went back and forth all nite. Seems to be normal and like someone said, I'm just going with the flow, not going to do hormones or anything, letting it happen...famous last words....hehehe...

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

laine
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Elaine
Edwardsville Illinois
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  07:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Although I am only 21 I work at GNC and I have a lot of my ladies come in because they are having really bad hot flashes and sweating spells I have found many women have luck with Black Cohosh. Black Cohosh is an herb you can buy just about any where. Just be sure to get the standarized form it will say that on the front of the label. Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Hot/cold flashes? thanks for advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page