Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic drying wheat in the oven?? Next Topic  

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you had experience drying grain in your oven? I am trying to grind some wheat and it seems a little wet, we dried it in our grain dryer to what it had to be for the bin, but it still seems a bit damp when I am grinding and makes the grinder work hard and the flour sticks together some when you squeeze it. So any suggestions would be welcome, I am thinking to put it on jelly roll pans in a 200 degree oven and stir it every so often, but not sure how long I should leave it in there, going to go for an hour then cool it and see how it grinds.
Thanks, Pam

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  5:32:59 PM  Show Profile
I think it would work. I dry mine in my dehydrator when I need to. It works great and doesn't take long.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  07:02:43 AM  Show Profile
thanks, I found an article from Utah State University, it tells all about the types of wheat and how to store it, dry it, etc. As a farmer you would think I would know all of this but I don't so I will read this article and will be able to answer questions I get at the farmer's mkt. Pam

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic drying wheat in the oven?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page