MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  06:55:58 AM  Show Profile
I live in NYC-known for high cost of living!

Any way, I'm originally from the midwest! Where I was used to being able to score great finds, and deals at garage sales, and curbs!

I've lived in NYC almost 10 years, and until yesterday have not been to ONE garage sale that I came home with anything, and not scored a single curb item yet!

I've seen so many post on this forum the great finds they found! And while happy for them, I was a wee jealous I can never score! lol

Well yesterday I scored! I got a vintage mirro cake pan for 1.00! YEAH! I love collecting these! And this was in good condition, the plastic hole was even in great condition!

While there I also seen jewelry I personally made in high school! (20 years ago). That was a odd mixture of feelings seeing my jewelry in the garage sale. It was fun, but felt a little bad it was in a garage sale, however, it had been kept in very nice shape, so that was nice to know it hadn't been abused! lol I was in a entrepreneurship class in high school and my jewelry business went to a national contest here in NYC even though I lived in Kansas.......so it was just kind of shocking not growing up here, but seeing something I made as a child end up here in a garage sale! lol haha

Any way.......then on the way home, HUGE score, I seen a little play kitchen at a curb (for trash)! And my daughter has sooo been wanting one! So score!

Not only that but the day started out good too, I had went to the mall to get a skirt for a anniversary party (ok I'm saying here, but no one else, knows, I'm pregnant! And I can't fit into my regular clothes! lol) well, I got a new skirt and new outfit for less then 22 dollars, cause I had free mypoints gift certificates. Then we ate lunch at Ikea, where I had 15 meatballs, gravy, lindenberry sauce, and steamed new potatoes for 4.00! And boy was I stuffed, for 4 dollars (That is cheap for NYC!).

Then, funny I was taking stuff for punch to the anniversary party, and lo and behold all the ingredients were on sale at the store for it! AND another funny score, been looking for lard every where, and haven't been able to find any, and when I ask store clerks literally they do not know what I am talking about! I am not kidding the last one told me she had never heard of it and didn't know what it was, when I explained it to her, she wrinkled up her nose and said no she had never heard of that and they didn't have it! lol haha

Any way, this store had it, so of course I bought it. (my pans have been needing to be reseasoned for the longest, but no lard to be found! Not only that but I've been wanting to try to make popcorn on the stove using lard! Finally I can!)

But, the real funny of the lard, I forgot I bought it, and brought in all the bags of groceries into the kitchen of the anniversary party (a church event) and the other ladies were unbagging it as I was doing other stuff, and one said, Heather I put your lard in the fridge, um...how is lard used in making the punch?? lol hahahaha It's not! lol hahaha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Sep 20 2009 07:02:04 AM

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  07:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Heather, congratulations on the pregnancy!!!!
And also on your wonderful finds :)You sure had a great day girl.

Hugs....

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Heather! That does sound like a good day! Did you tell the garage sale people that you were the artist that made the jewelry?

Congrats on the pregnancy!! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  08:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks gals.

No I didn't tell the garage sale person, cause it was a big thing for raising funds for a girls soccer team, and it was all soccer dad's, they were a little crazy! lol I didn't think they would care too much about the jewelry, they were a bit upset my husband stopped for a milisecond to let me out of the car to go there (while he went to park) because for that half a second he was blocking their honk if you love soccer sign! lol hahahaha

But, it was kind of neat!

It was the best day I've had in a long long time!

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  5:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Heather, congrats on expecting again! Sounds like you had one fantastic day. You should have bought the jewelry to give to your daughter. I think it was cool that your creation was still in good shape and that you recognized it! Small world huh? I've seen lard out here in our grocery stores but you have to hunt for it. Makes the best pie crusts! Can't believe the clerks didn't even know what it was!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  6:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow you did do good! glad you finally found something worth taking home! Also congrats on your pregnacy! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks gals.

And yes, Audrey, I couldn't believe the clerks didn't know either. Kind of funny, and a lot sad! This generation has really completely lost I guess all knowledge of what real food is. It's very sad!

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  08:17:12 AM  Show Profile
Your lard story is so funny..when my SIL from NJ was here one year, she could not belive how many brands of lard there was here. It was so funny. Cograts on expecting!

how sweet it is to love some one, how right it is to care
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  1:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. And yeah, I can only find one brand around here and it's hard to find! lol hahaha

Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic It's finally me! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page