Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  4:38:13 PM  Show Profile
This is our on year for having both our pecan trees loaded to the brim. It still amazes me that one year you will have so many you can't give enough away but the next year not a one drops. If there are any up there the slim year the squirrels get them long before they drop. One tree is a Paper Shell, long and easy to open. Perfect to eat because they are so sweet. The second is short and fat, hard to open but the best for pecan pies and pralines. I love this time of the year just waiting for the green husk to open and drop out the treasure from within. This year I will have the slinky on a stick to easily pick them up and dump into the box, no more sitting on the ground or bending over.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  6:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh that sounds heavenly. We are in michigan and I don't have any trees like that. enjoy!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  9:30:10 PM  Show Profile
We don't have any pecan trees, but last year one of our friends brought us a huge bag of unshelled nuts. I spent many an evening shelling and picking nuts. I put them in plastic zip lock backs and kept them in the freezer. I just used the last of them for banana bread last week. I hope we get another bag this year!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1672 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1672 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Melody June, We have a 2 acre pecan grove/orchard and all of our trees are really full. almost time to gather them up. I also have both kinds of trees and love it.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  10:51:26 AM  Show Profile
I have wondered if all the trees are on the same cycle? All our neighbors trees are full this year also but bare last year. I've tried to research it but can't find anything on it. I am going to drive towards Tyler where there is a little place that will crack them for you and ask them if they have business every year or if it rotates. It's one of those things that makes me say Hummmm? LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  11:17:30 AM  Show Profile
At one time, we had two pecan trees, but when we had the ice storm 1-1/2 years ago, we lost one. This year, however, it looks like we're have loads of them. I am so excited because I plan on baking my Christmas gifts this year, so I should have plenty and my hubby loves pecan pie. I noticed that we seem to have them every other year, too. During the ice storm, we lost about half of the pecan trees in our neighborhood. Due to no electricity for a week, we heard every one of them going down. I am so grateful for the one we have and we gave the wood from the fallen one to the friends who helped us with it to have for their fire place.

I love fall!!!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  3:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Melody-
I think that is wonderful. We have Hickory Nut trees, but I always seem to miss the time to go and pick them up and then the squirrels get to harvest and store them. Lucky you!!
Lori
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Pecans Galore Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page