True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  11:29:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Folks,
I have an opportunity to Barter some Peaches for some Honey. I think I would like to trade (1) jam, (1) jelly and some pints of peaches. Trouble is that I am not sure how many pints. I am trading for 5 pounds of Honey. Can anyone help me out here. I am pretty new to this.
Thanks,
Quiltin_Kate

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" Oscar Wilde

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  1:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello Kate from another NY farmgirl!! You are not too far from me- maybe just over an hour!

Do you know how much the 5 lbs. of honey would sell for in your area? (We just bought 2 1/2 lbs. of raw honey for just under $6.00). That would give you a starting point at least. Then if you could sort of figure out how much your preserves and peaches might sell for? I know preserves can be expensive if you buy them at a market(farm). I think the pint jars sell for at least $3.00 here.

I don't know if I've helped you or confused you!! I've never bartered before so have a hard time figuring out how much it would be.
I'm curious to see everyone else's answers though!
And welcome to the farmgirl forums, you're going to love it here! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  2:44:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello Kate, here in California at the differnt farmers markets honey goes for $5 for 24oz. which I think is a pint and 1/2 and the preserves are between $6-$8 a pint. Keep in mind this is California even though I'm northern still things are so much more expensive than anywhere else. There isn't anyone close to me who has anything to barter. I'm the only one on our road that has fresh eggs, a garden and homemade canned goods. Many of the neighbors buy some things and I give what we can't use away as well. Hope that helped!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers

http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  2:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kate,
Your first step would be to find out what price the individual usually gets for their honey. Some honeys can be very expensive. Then try to determine what it cost you to make your items. For example you need to figure in the sugar, pectin, fruit... anything you put into it, including your time. If you grow your own fruit check at farmers markets to determine what the going rate for that fruit is. I do not use the supermarket prices because you are selling a farm product with known origins. That will give you a rough estimate of cost per pint. Or you can do like I do and trade pint for pint. The man that I get my honey from sells his honey for $18.00 for 5 lb. However, I have traded jams and jellies with him and we go pint for pint. We figure the production costs on both ends are about the same. But if you start bartering your jams, jellies or canned foods for other items you really need to figure your production costs per jar. And have a set price in your head. Like Brenda said it will also depends on your location. Most people underprice themselves considerably. Most of bartering is gut feeling. Do I feel what I am getting is comparable to what I am giving? Hope this helps. I love to barter. We barter with our time, our skills, our produce... My greenhouse was built from bartering. The main thing is enjoy yourself.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  6:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the great info, looks like I have some research to do!

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  09:49:28 AM  Show Profile
You could just put your honey in pint jars and offer to barter. People will say if they are willing to barter and for what. If you are talking about here on this site just say what you want and that you have honey to trade and see if you get any takers. If it is in your local area, same thing go to where the item you want is and tell them what you have to offer and see what they say. It's just a meeting of the minds. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
The one piece of advice I'd give is to know or have a good idea of what you have is worth, and you can always say no also. I've bartered for years and you will always get those that assume you will take much less for your item than they would for theirs.

Have you thought of canning your own peaches, they are one of the easiest things to can. Even making your own jam and jelly is easy once you take the plunge. Many here would even help walk you through it. If this is up your alley let me know, I'd barter a really great book on canning for a pint of honey.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin_kate
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Kate
Marlboro NY
USA
244 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  08:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi All, I wanted to share the results of my barter. I gave a batch of peach jam for 5# of honey. So that worked out very well! I was probably a little generous, but, he's the egg guy too and he delivers them to me at work!
Quiltin_Kate

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  12:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Kate- I was wondering how it went!
That sounds like a good trade to me!
I have never bartered before, but am interested in starting... you're post gave me a little bit of courage to try! I am not a deal maker, lol, I really should start doing so, but I just never seem to think of it until it's too late!!
Anyone care to be a "barter" teacher on here, and give us newbies some pointers?!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic I have a Barter Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page