Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tea towels Next Topic  

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  8:33:51 PM  Show Profile
What is a good fabric for tea towels? I'm just looking for something simple to make a nice design on. I will probably make a set of them but I'm not sure what fabric would be good to use. Thanks!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  9:25:35 PM  Show Profile
I buy the already made "flour sack towels" to embroider on. I get mine locally at Ben Franklin....in the kitchen wares section. They are nice and ready to go. Very absorbant and nice for embroidery. I keep looking for them at a cheaper price, since I sell them when embroidered..although they are not expensive...in bulk but the shipping price always makes it not as good a deal as the local price so far.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  05:04:11 AM  Show Profile
I buy flour sack towels at Wal-Mart, in the kitchen towel department. A whopping great price of $5 for the package and the towels are big, so I cut them and get even more! They're 100% cotton and such a pretty bright white. I love the fabric and the price. I couldn't get this amount of fabric for $5 in the fabric department.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  09:35:51 AM  Show Profile
I always use flour sack towel, they sell them now at Target and I also find them at Goodwill.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  11:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Me too...I get the ready made flour sack type at our Big R store where we get some of our feed and farm stuff. It's great to catch them on sale cause they are only 89 cents! They are really nice to embroider on, just love them. Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  12:00:55 PM  Show Profile
I have been paying $1.29 to $1.49 each here..our closest walmart dosn't carry them. I will keep looking for more though. I buy usually at least 10 at a time.
I agree that I don't think you could buy fabric for the price of the flour sack towels.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  9:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, What kind of design are you wanting to make on your towels? IA it embroidery you are doing?
A good homespun fabric makes darling towels, but it would not work for embroidery. I think it also depends on what quality you are looking for. You can get some cheap fabric for $1.00 a yard at Walmart...it might work.
I found flour suck towels at the Dollar Tree, but noticed they were out the last time I was in there. The price is right!
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  4:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I love flour sack towels and have a couple right now actually. (I get paid Wednesday so I may get another pack then) I'm not sure what design I would do. It would most likely be some sort of embroidery. Simple, of course, since I am not very good at it yet. I will have to check out the stores listed for a good price of towels. In the meantime, I will practice on my old ones! Thank you so much, everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  7:40:32 PM  Show Profile
I just bought some flour sack towels at Wally World. I have never embroidered tea towels before, and figured it was about time.I am enjoying it.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tea towels Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page