Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Update on my Paint rescue mare...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Update on my Paint rescue mare... Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  11:33:46 AM  Show Profile
She is doing well and settling right in. I think she's gonna be a keeper, she's such a sweetie.

I upped her feed as she really does look in foal. May be farther along than I first thought.

I've washed out her eyes that there isn't any gook in there now. Good honk, you shoulda seen the gook that came out!!

About the proud flesh, a fellow we know said he uses lime on the proud flesh and it works a charm. Worked better than Wonder Dust. Okie dokie, so I gave it a try and he's right, works very well. Drying the stuff right up. Also hitting her with some procaine penicillian (sp?) and she's perking right up.

A MAJOR case of thrush, the smell about knocked me over but bleach is taking care of it. This is an old case for her, it's pretty bad. If I need something more, will go with reliable Koppertox.

She didn't know what alfalfa pellets were and tried to choke on them, she loves them so much. Nothing came out of her nose but she had them bollixed up at the back of her mouth and now knows to really masticate them before swallowing. Plenty of grass hay too.

Needs a good worming but with the pen., I'll wait till we are thru with the course and then worm. She's getting hit with a lot all at once already.

She's thriving and her eyes are definitely brighter. I brush her every day and brush out her tail with Show Sheen. Put a little desitin on her pink skin in her snip, which she didn't like at first but it's soothing and, since she's a smart girl, now likes it.

So, now needs the shoer out to do a trim but need to get the proud flesh a bit more under control so he can pick up her hind hoofies.

We don't know if she's broke or how much but I've laid across her and she barely glances at me. That can wait for lots later tho.

I'm telling ya, rescuing is what I used to do and now I'm back to it and this is where I belong. I am thrilled to rescue horses like her. She won't be that last either.

Winona

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  11:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great update, Winona! I hope you took a before picture so you can really see the progress! I would love to see her! She sound gorgeous

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  12:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee. Yep, I'm taking pics as I go along. Since I'm on dial-up, I can't seem to upload them. Will have to take my laptop to the library and use their wireless. But I will post pics as soon as I can.

Oh, forgot about her yearly shots...gonna wait on those for the time being too. Along with worming, she has a lot on her plate, getting better so she will get them, just not right now.

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile
My advice for thrush is liquid lysol, works great, and with a mare in foal, you don't want to push too many chemicals on her all at once. I would also get her veted to see about how far along she is, so you don't end up with a foal born in the pasture on a freezing cold night.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  1:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sweet thing! Poor dear! Sounds like you'll get her right as rain soon. Hope she does.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  1:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad every thing is going well for her Winona!! Thanks for keeping us updated!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Update on my Paint rescue mare... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page