Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:22:11 AM  Show Profile
Anyone ever cook butternut squash? My grandmother makes hers with a ton of butter and sprinkles it with a pound of sugar and cinnamon. Now dont get me wrong its delish but Im trying to eat better and dont need all the calories from the sugar and butter. If you have any recipes to share I would be greatful. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile
I cut mine in half long ways and place cut side down in a baking dish with about a 1/2 inch of water. I then either cover with plastic wrap and microwave until soft or cover with foil and bake until soft. I then remove it from the pan and allow it to cool for a few minutes. I then use a spoon and remove the skin from it. I gently "mash" the insides in a seperate bowl and season with salt and pepper and a little butter. If I am in the mood for a little sweetness I drizzle a little bit of REAL maple syrup or a tablespoon or two of brown sugar.

I hate cinnamon so I dont add that but I suppose you could.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Butternut squash is our favorite for soups. It's the least sweet and has the nicest texture. It can be cubed into a vegetable soup, or cooked, pureed and combined with white beans and a little cumin for a good hearty meal.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:02:16 AM  Show Profile
try roasting it.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:19:43 AM  Show Profile
I do mine the same way Julie does. It's easier and very tasty.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  12:13:09 PM  Show Profile
Well Karen,

I guess I won't be posting my Butternut Squash Soup recipe, it's anything but healthy with butter and heavy cream. But it is to die for!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  12:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Karen, check out the Hungry Girl website and do a search there...she has tons of really fun B-nut recipes. My daughter and I have had so much fun trying them. It was because of her I even planted some this year but alas, they have not grown well. Oh well, am still going to be buying some to cook and freeze like I did last year.
http://www.hungry-girl.com/

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  5:13:24 PM  Show Profile
I made butternut squash for dinner tonight. I chopped the squash up in to 1" chunks, tossed them with a little olive oil, pure maple syrup, salt and pepper, and roasted them for 20 minutes at 400. I took them out, stirred them and added some chopped pepperoni (the recipe called for pancetta, which I didn't have) and baked them 20 minutes more. It was delicious! I didn't measure anything, just sprinkled things in here & there.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  05:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls they all sound delish so I will probably try them all. hehe I just love the taste of them! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  7:49:36 PM  Show Profile
Could someone show me what a butternut squash looks like? I planted either buttercup or butternut. I'm not sure. And how do you know when they are ripe?

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  06:10:40 AM  Show Profile
Erin~ Here is a link to a picture of butternut squash. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/subcategory.aspx?category=1&subcategory=487. You can also see a picture of a buttercup squash if you click on the "winter" right above the picture, then choose buttercup from the list. Johnny's is a great place to get info about all kinds of gardening things.

I'm not an expert but I think they are usually harvested when the vines wither, then are left to sit in the sun for a few days to harden up and "cure" so that they store well. At least that is what I am trying with mine this year.

I have at least 20 butternut squash in the garden and growing out of the compost pile, so all these ideas are great!
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  3:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Toni,
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  5:41:37 PM  Show Profile
I make a roasted garlic butternut squash soup. It is so good. Basically you cook the garlic and squash at the same time in the oven. Each in different pans of course. I then take the squash and puree it in the blender transfer it to a stock pot on the stove then take the roasted garlic cloves and puree then with a little vegetable stock and then add this to the pot. There you have it simple and tasty.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Countrybound
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Janna
Grand Junction CO
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Ga Girl, here's another recipe:

Preheat oven to 350'
-Cut Butternut squash in half
-scoop out seeds
-lightly brush inside of squash with olive oil (or butter)
-sprinkle with salt and pepper
-put cut side UP in a roasting pan
-put 1/2" water in pan (do not cover)
-roast anywhere between one hour or longer (until fork tender)

Enjoy....really yummy.
Janna
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  11:16:58 AM  Show Profile
I won a blue ribbon for my butternut squash and theur is a picture on my blog. The link is below.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  10:46:34 PM  Show Profile
One of favorite soups. Every so often I offer wellness retreats and this soup is a hit at the winter ones.
one butternut squash cut into chunks, 3 carrots, 2 or 3 turnips, 1 onion, 2 stalks celery, seems like something else. I will update if that comes to me. I think you can add parsnips but I was not keen on parsnips.

Anyway, cut all of this up in chunks and simmer in chicken broth. When I first made this it was late at night and I did not have a plan B for the retreat and this stuff smelled awful at this point. But then you let it cool and puree it in the blender in small batches and return it to the pan. Then you add a can of evaporated milk (can be low fat or fat free) and sprinkle in just a bit of tarragon.

I forbid anyone who knew the ingredients to tell what they were because so many would not have liked something in it and everyone LOVED it. This started from Taste of Home and it was called Golden Harvest Soup. You can substitute sweet potatoes for the squash or just put one in to the squash recipe. I have made it where I just put all veggies in the kitchen in it and follow through the same. It is always good and it is healthy. The kind of soup you can have in a cup on a cold winter night.

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Butternut Squash Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page