Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Muslin Patterns- Help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Muslin Patterns- Help! Next Topic  

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  10:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I figured if anyone could help me with this problem, it would be you smart ladies! I have a few tissue patterns (dresses for my daughter and some for her dolly) that are getting to the point where I'm afraid to use them - they might fall apart. I've heard that people transfer the pattern pieces to muslin and then have a more permanent pattern, but how? How do you do that without the muslin fraying? Would I need to hem the edges? Is there a product that will prevent the fraying? Or is there another alternative for preserving these patterns? I love the dress for my DD - I've made so many of them...and she loves her dolly clothes. So what can I do?

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  05:55:13 AM  Show Profile
They do make a bottle of Fray Check, when ran along the edge of fabric it dries and prevents fraying. I get the large roll of brown wrapping paper to trace my patterns to. I just trace around the pattern with a fat Sharpie. I soaks through pattern tissue if you need to make dots for darts and things, then just lift it up and make sure you have everything transfered to your copy. I've just learned you can get blank paper from your newspaper office off the end of the roll. I am going to try that next because it is thinner.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  06:20:46 AM  Show Profile
I've done a lot of sewing for dolls and I know how the patterns can get over~pinned and raggedy. Most doll pattern pieces can be copied on your computer's copy machine. If they are a little larger than the 8 1/2 x 11 size most copy machine's give you ... copy it twice and piece them with tape. Sometimes you can do this with children's pattern pieces as well such as yokes, sleeves, pockets, etc. This way you can make multiple copies for future use.

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 grand daughters from size 18 months to 4 many patterns come in mulitiple sizes. When I get a new pattern I make a tissue paper copy just lay white tissue of the pattern piece you might have to tape a sheet or two together trace and go you alway have the original and a spare.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Sep 13 2009 06:49:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:02:59 AM  Show Profile
Also the muslin or fabric pattern might frey a bit but not enough to change the size of the pattern. You won't be washing and drying it which is what causes them to frey so bad.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa,
I used to have this same problem when my girls were small! I also used to make them smocked dresses and the way they were sized back then, meant I would have to immediately transfer them to something else.
I used interfacing to trace my patterns. The heavier the better. After over 20 years for some of the pieces they are still strong as ever! I would write on each piece with a sharpie.
I have also used newspaper sheets in a pinch. The big sheets are great for many pieces.
Also, if you use muslin, try cutting everything out with pinking shears. It won't fray this way, and the cutting line is right in the center of the "pink" if you know what I mean!
I hope this helps you out!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MustangSally
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sally
Gwinn MI
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  07:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSally a Yahoo! Message
I've traced around patterns onto newspaper. Works great and is free! Then I just write the pattern info with a Sharpie on each piece.

:o)
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile
You gals are so helpful! I'm glad I asked! I asked my mom and she said "I dunno". I didn't get my farmgirl gene from her, that's for sure! But you guys have filled in and become my farmgirl mamas! So thanks! Now I'll never lose those favorite patterns!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile
I use iron on interfacing for those patterns that I will be using more then normal. What is great is you just iron it to the back, cut it out and not extra tracing working and such. There are also some who use freezer paper but I found that it makes the pattern to stiff for my tastes. Good luck and happy sewing.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  12:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, I always use interfacing for patterns that I will use a lot! It's fairly strong and can be re-pinned hundreds of times!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  6:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,
A friend that I work with told me to ask for Patterning Pelon at the store and trace my patterns onto them before I cut them out to one size. I found it at JoAnn's and it works perfect. It is plenty wide for any pattern and lasts great. When I asked the clerk for it and she cut it out for me she was amazed that she had sold it so many times but never thought of using it for herself. She would just always buy more than one pattern for the extra size. Hope you can find and try it. I think you will love it and it is rather inexpensive also.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2009 :  10:40:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh ladies! Once again, you have saved my hide! I'm making a list for the fabric store and now I have so many goodies on there, I may have to make a trip sooner than I anticipated! Thanks for all the great tips!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  5:29:01 PM  Show Profile
I use iron on interfacing as well to preserve a pattern. I have used muslin to make a "trial run" of a particularly tailored item and then try it on my dress form for fitting adjustment. It's more work but it certainly saves that expensive fabric for the final version!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Muslin Patterns- Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page