Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 cross bred chickens / sterile or not
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic cross bred chickens / sterile or not Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
does anyone know from experience if it is true that my chickens will be sterile? i havea barred rock roo and the hens are barred rock, rhode ilsand red or black cornish. i am hoping that this years chicks will be able to reproduce the next generation of chicks! peace connie in alaska

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  12:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Chickens are all the same species...just different varieties, so they're genetically compatible. Your chickens will breed and produce viable offspring...ours have for years. Have fun.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks much, i thought i remembered that my chickens that i had many years ago were crosed every which direction and we had chicks all summer. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  10:48:18 PM  Show Profile
In my own experience..the very ugliest crossbred chicken will raise more chicks than any of the beautiful purebreds...haha Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  03:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Yup same here

We have australorp crosses w/ RIRs and buff orpingtons with black sexlinks

all second generatrions are producing eggs

kind of neat to see the color variations
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  9:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i may be adding a buff orpington or astrolorp (?) roo to my young flock. that should add to the color variation *grin* wondering if i do that if i will keep up my egg production? i cant get any better than i am with my purebred rir and barred rock hens but hoep to stay up there in percentage lol. i get 12-14 eggs per day (when i can find them!) from my 14 hens right now i hae 3 mommies not laying and another 2 mommies to be so production is donw. i let them free range and surprisingly we havent lost even one mature hen or baby to predators! my roo is quite the watch-roo and wont let anything or anyone on his property! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  04:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Also recently discoverd another rooster in the hen house. This one came in w/ a batch of production reds (red sexlinks if i recall correctly) or maybe its a RIR that slipped through.

He is still young, as the hans he was shiped w/ aren't quite up to layng par.

And so far there are enough hens to go around so there hasn't been any fighting either.

He has hopped the fence and is ok with it when I pick him up.

So, all this to say, we'll have good genetic variation should I choose to fianlly raise our own chicks again next spring.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic cross bred chickens / sterile or not Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page