prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:16:16 PM  Show Profile
i've discovered that cat litter containers come in mighty handy! i save them all, and eventually i've used them all for one use or another. things i've used them for:

-putting kitchen compost materials in to store until it goes to the outside compost

-storing liquids that are toxic before taking them to be disposed in other places besides the dump (heating oil, car oil, paint, kerosene, etc.)

-storing sand from sand bags that have broken to be used later

-as i'm weeding, i throw them in there until it's full and dispose the weeds to the burn barrel

-i clean out the containers and use them for anything that can be used in a bucket (cleaning suds, car wash suds, etc.)

-for leaks so water can drip into the containers rather than using your nice pots and pans

hey, i have to buy litter anyway, so why not be green and thrifty and make use of the containers! i'll never have to buy a bucket again!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  7:54:45 PM  Show Profile
I do the same thing with the buckets, they are used for alot of things around here, storing charcol for the barbaque, I use them to fill the chicken hoppers in my growing pens, I store potting soil for the potted plants, they are used for water buckets for the lambs and kids, I also use them for water buckets for the dogs. I store emergency supplies in them since I live in earthquake country. They can all be cleaned very easily to be used for anything your imagination can think up.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  10:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
my mom doesn't but bucket kind...she buys the bucket with a little tiny lid on top! So sad I could use a nice non-broken bucket to clean my car and weed the garden! :)

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Kay Groth
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Brenda
Manton MIch
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  3:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Brenda Kay Groth a Yahoo! Message
another thing that is great for crafting is the old powedered laundry soap containers with the zip lids..so the lid is still on and has a handle..they can be covered with fabric or paper and make nice chests..(cleaned out of course)

bloom where you are planted
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  10:12:32 PM  Show Profile
I buy both types of containers with litter because with 3 indoor kitties I use a lot! The bucket style w/the hinged type lid are great for the garden when I am weeding, and my hubby uses & re-uses the screw off lod type out in his "Man Cave"(barn).......

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of litter boxes I pour the cat litter into one of those rubbermaid type storage containers. They have higher sides than a regular litter box. My cat would back up to the side of the litter box and pee over the edge then kick litter over the side and make a big mess.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl Barb
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Barbara
Chesterfield sc
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  4:46:37 PM  Show Profile
As our kittens grew in the past year, the size of our litter box had to grow, too. That means I had two extra litter boxes.

I washed and sanitized them and have been using them in the chicken coops. I put tomatoes, scrap veggies from the kitchen or whatever in them. Their normal laying crumble is in actual chicken feeders, but the litter boxes come in handy for "extra" stuff.

Barb J.
www.victoriahillfarm.com
An Urban Homestead
Go to Top of Page

hotmamaj
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

janice
buckeye az
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  3:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I use mine for the kitchen composte container.(under the sink)out of the way easy to haul out to the garden later and the animals stay away. I also useone for weeding and dead heading the roses. My man has also placed bird feed in one to keep safe and away from other lil critters, we are always looking for ways to repurpose items... This is one that has lots of uses.

Welcome the dawn of everyday with a smile & open heart
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  2:19:27 PM  Show Profile
I saw where people have used them as nesting boxes as well. Turn them on their side and mount them to the coop. I thought that was pretty cool!

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile
Hmm, the litter I buy doesn't come in a bucket. Too bad. You ladies are brilliant in your ideas.

I had to buy a cat box with a lid because my youngest would kick it over the edge too (she thought it was funny) and it is a deep box!

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic cat litter containers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page