5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  7:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard the same as me?.....to prepare for the hard times coming? Is this topic somewhere else?
Just wondered????????????

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

geminidream62
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Molly
Spokane Washington
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  11:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Terri, I thought it was nuts when I began hearing that message at a support group meeting locally about a year or more ago. But, look how the world has been changing recently! So pretty much every payday I buy a few extra bags of dried beans or rice or powdered milk. Things that have a long shelf life. What kinds of things are you doing to prepare? It feels like a growing movement out there, I'm not too panicky but it is nice to try to make some plans.

Molly
http://geminisdream.blogspot.com/

Edited by - geminidream62 on Sep 05 2009 3:31:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  01:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Hey Terri--this actually isn't news to me, at least--I've seen it on several other homesteading type blogs and sites and the call to "self-sufficiency" has been on online magazines for some time. I also see a big surge to create home gardens smack in the middle of large cities, and all sorts of other things that would be unheard of where I'm from. I hope they (whoever "they" are) are wrong, but you can't help but wonder....

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  06:12:25 AM  Show Profile
I think that most of us who have been raised on a farm, have done this anyway. My grandma always kept a stock of food on hand, from farming, butchering etc. It was just a way of life, that most modern households have gotten away from. My mom still keeps a small stock of staples, in case of emergency. I think anyone who grew up in the depression does this without thinking.

I have a stock of staples and almost always have, and probably always will have. I could probably feed us for six months to a year, less if I have more family members to feed.

Jenny
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Hard times can come in many forms. Maybe it can just be as simple as people feeling they need to be more self-sufficient. We have major ice storms, loose all power and can't leave home for a week sometimes. We never worry because our pantry is always full and I can cook in my fireplace or even in the yard on a open fire. It is just being prepared in advance. I also wonder if people are just tired of trying to keep up with the Jones and are returning to the simple way of living. We don't worry or fret about hard times but for ever electric appliance we have I also have a manual one. My husband laughs at me but knows if we lost all the utilities in the house I'd still have my pot of coffee.
With all the lay offs across America hard times have hit many families now. I know many that did not prepare for anything and have way to many bills to survive for long.
I do know that during hard times there will be more that did not prepare and will depend on those that did.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  07:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Our garden didn't do so well this year, so we buy in bulk at Costco. We have powdered milk and beans on hand. As well as plenty of toilet paper! ;) We will be stocking up more in the next month or so. We like to get a big bag of rice, and lots of canned things.

I am also trying to make the best out of our yard too. I harvested lots of dandelions in the spring and made roasted dandelion root coffee substitute, and I am harvesting our apple tree and will be busy making apple butter, and canning apples for pies!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1673 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1673 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile
I always keep my pantry stocked with dry goods and my canned pears, pear butter and various jams. I make sure that I have enough flour and sugar along with yeast to make breads. I'm stocking up on meats to put in the freezer. Lots of toilet paper etc. I have always done this. Living in Texas we can get some nasty storms and loose power for a few days to weeks. I noticed the other day when I went to the store that the usual things I buy haven't been there. Hopefully my fall garden will do better than this one had.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  12:39:12 PM  Show Profile
I was just passing past CNN news and what are they talking about?? Bad economy gardens!! They are on a big bus traveling around to ask people how they are doing with the economy. Everyone they talked to is planting a garden, one family the wife always has a small garden but this year her husband tilled the whole back yard just for a bigger garden. And they said the companies who made money this year is the seed companies and some even sold out completely. That is amazing.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  3:30:26 PM  Show Profile
I have always prepared for the worst, and kept stocked up on things that aren't raised or grown, as my mama did and her mama before her. I was born and raised on a farm, and have been on one all my life, ( I'm 52 now ). I raised 4 kids on my farm/ranch, and even thou my late husband did work off the place, ( he was a diesel mechanic ), times did get tuff cash wise a few times. Now i live on a very fixed amout of cash each month, ( insurance, and pension ), so it will have to last me the rest of my life. I raise and grow everything that I possibly can here, can all extra veggys and fruit, plus meat and sauces. I butcher all my own livestock and poultry and freeze or make jerky. I have wind power and solar for my electric, and have my own wells. With todays economy, I am very careful with our vehicles and farm equipment. My grazing animals are on rotation pastures that are fully irrigated, and rarelt do I have to re-seed. I hope and pray that our country gets "well" soon, but if it does not, my family and I will survive, and we will protect what is ours.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  5:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Teresa- That is what I want some day- to have a place big enough to have rotating pasture grazing and be able to raise most if not all of our own food!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  6:11:06 PM  Show Profile
After the economic crisis that the country has been thrown into, everyone should be serious about being self-sufficient. I am like Alee - I would love to have a place where I can raise all my food and only have to rely on the store for staples like flour, sugar, etc. But I need to practice it now and have started stockpiling things that will keep like beans, rice, etc. I personally don't think our country will ever be well again. I think this is the new normal. In many ways it has been a good thing because people have had to get back to basics.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  6:22:07 PM  Show Profile
ive actually been trying to learn how to be much more self-sufficient and frugle. i've been researching how people made it through the depression.and trying to teach myself skills that have started to become lost due to the over produced and modern life. i have to admit i still have some problems eating things i grow initially just because im not used to in its natural form. its one reason i ended up stumbling on to maryjane.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  6:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am a glass half full kinda gal and I am very thankful for the gift of farmgirl knowledge. I try to keep panic mode to a minimum and who says you can't eat oatmeal for 3 meals a day??? Add a banana or a nice orange and it is just fine. My point is keep you nose to the grindstone and we will all be fine. We are already ahead of the curve. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  2:12:59 PM  Show Profile
DH and i have been becoming more self-sufficient for awhile now, getting ready for the possible hard times. but even if they don't come, i think it's still a most valuable trait to have, to be self-sufficient. because you NEVER know what might happen. my brother-in-law went through some of those ice storms last winter in NY and was telling us about it... he is not self-sufficient at all and they went through some miserable times because of it. they didn't have any type of heater, so when the power was out for like a week, to keep warm, they sat in the bathtub for hours on end. this has motivated us to look into some sort of heater that doesn't require power, a wood/pellet stove or a kerosene room heater.

we have been stocking up on various things for awhile, especially dried beans of all kinds and rice. and learning to can. basically, becoming a farmgirl in order to be self-sufficient. at the same time, it's a good feeling to be able to take care of ourselves and not rely on others... we are also planning to build a rain-catch system on our roofs.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:32:36 PM  Show Profile
We have always tried to be frugal and careful about purchases and I am always gleaning information on how to be more self-sufficient. We try to keep the freezer full. So far we are doing really well with meat and fruits and veggies. I have been canning and every time I go to the grocery store I stock up on extras too. I don't turn down free food from friends and neighbors gardens and either freeze or can it. My husband and I are getting geared up for winter by stocking up on firewood as well. One thing that has helped us tremendously with our gas (propane) bill has been getting an on demand water heater. We love it and it has already paid for itself.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  6:35:47 PM  Show Profile
I also try to can/freeze whatever I can get my hands on. I like to also stock pile when stuff is on sale. This time of year especially I start gathering as winter is around the corner and in MN you just don't know what day to day will bring. We hope each year to add to our farming stuff that will allow us to be more and more self sufficient. I have learned a lot and am always trying to learn more. This website has been an awesome place for that!!!
I know they claim things are better but there are not jobs out there for people I know looking and my husbands work is saying layoff again come November for some of the workers.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  7:38:23 PM  Show Profile
We moved to this farm a yr ago Feb. We had a small garden that didnt do to well. But I am learning and I will be composting and mulching this fall and winter. My garden will be better next yr. We are getting 3 cows this early spring and will butcher 2. One for us and 1 for my daughter and her family. I will keep the 3rd because my grands will freak if they think we killed the cows to eat. I want chickens but my husband says he doesnt want to deal with them. We also want to get guienas for the bugs. I work full time and he works part time. It will be hard but we have to do everything we can to help eachother and our friends and family. We live on 10 acres and if we need to my daughter and her family can move here and build.

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  04:10:29 AM  Show Profile
That is our goal as well to be able to help our kids out with food and whoever. We don't have money as all goes into getting our farm going but figure if we can supply healthy food that is better for everyone, plus a healthy lifestyle!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  06:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think it would be fantastic to be self sufficient! It sounds like you have a great plan! Did you know that gineas are usually noisier than chickens? Would that put your husband off poultry all together?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  5:51:45 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I dont think so. If they deal with the bug population then they will be worth a little more noise...We all need to be more interested in what is in our food supply. It makes me mad that some people have that much power to be able to control our food supply and cause the people to grow what they dont want to....enough of my ranting
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  06:19:50 AM  Show Profile
We've been thinking about this more and more. Of course my husband is always prepared (he was a boyscout for many years). After last year's ice storm and being without electricity for some days we started stocking up on more essentials, just in case. We were lucky to have our grill and firepit for cooking and warming up water last year. I think it's a very good idea to always be prepared, just in case.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  07:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Lainey, I totally agree. I was thinking of getting a Sam's club card, simply to buy a few staples in bulk, but to also stock up on my canning and frozen items. Our basement isn't condusive to a freezer right now (it gets water every now and again) so I thought it might be a good idea to get a nice sized cooler, and some other "camping" type items just in case we have the winter they are predicting. Power outages seem to be the norm in Kentucky now!!! It wouldn't hurt to have a lantern and other items handy. In fact, this month is sort of our "safety month" at the house, getting it prepared for Violet crawling, so it might not be a bad idea to take it a few steps further.

I am trying to be sensible about the whole thing--I've actually stopped watching the news because it's easy to be scared, but I want to make more informed and smart decisions.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  08:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Guineas are alot noisier than chickens, but they make great watchbirds (instead of watchdogs, lol). They will let you know when anything or anyone comes into the yard.

Great eggs too.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  09:58:13 AM  Show Profile
As far as hard times go, I'm not worrying about a long term disappearance of food on grocery store shelves. Not anytime soon, at least. My own personal hard times coming up are the loss of my job next April. So I'm trying to save money, rather than stocking up on bulk food.

I have a feeling this winter is going to be a bad one, though. So a little extra food on hand, and emergency supplies would be a good thing. And I'm saving up to get the enormous, half dead tree in our yard taken down. The one that's just 6 feet from our bedroom windows, and makes me nervous in any kind of ice or wind storm...
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  8:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirl Sisters.....
THANKS for all of your info....Dh and I have a 1 acre garden, I "can" everything I can grow or get my hands on, we raise almost all of our own meat, have non electric appliances and other things...wood heat and cookstove and so on....as someone said, HARD TIMES can come in all forms...
Love to you all..........

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  9:13:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a small stockpile,and will try to remember harder to bring my campstove home from the renfest after our season is over. If we have a power outage etc, I can at least heat something up.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Preparing for hard times? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page