Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Medina County Fair Time Is....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Medina County Fair Time Is.... Next Topic  

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  07:33:05 AM  Show Profile
That's what I grew up hearing. Every half hour the announcer of the Medina County Fair announces the time. I'm sure it comes in handy when Moms and Dads let the youngin's go carousing with their friends for the first time and tell's them, "Meet me back at the Grandstand, next to the lemondade stand no later than 3:30!". I remember that part really well.

Fair Time in Medina, Ohio was always the week before school started. The last hurrah. The last chance for summer love. If I had a nickel for all the hearts that were lost at the Medina County Fair, I'd be a rich woman. Holding hands walking through the Midway, stealing a summer kiss over behind the junior steer barn....those memories are still warm in my heart, even after 20 years.

It was always family tradition for my whole family to go to the fair on Sunday. My grandfather, who never left the dairy farm for anything other than the occasional auction even got cleaned up to go. I loved being with him and would be the first to grab his hand, so I could walk with him and my cousins couldn't. His favorite treat was to stop at the Methodist Church tent and order up some fresh donuts to take home. I remember once seeing a woman give the middle finger to a man, and I asked my Aunt "what does that mean"? I was pretty young, and my Grandfather just laughed and laughed. To say the least, I was led away quickly and told it's not something a young lady like me OR HER should do.

One could see all kinds of things at the fair, as it brings out every personality, every kind of person. Its like a personal circus. I mean, everybody loves a fair. Its signifies so many things to so many people; and today you are just as likely to see Grand Champion lambs as you are a local hard rock band. A best of show pumpkin to a kareoke contest. People are all the same when it comes to fair time. Its a community thing.

And the food... I mean, where else can you get ANY type of food...on a stick? All air food has gotta be 'walk-able'. No one wants to sit at a fair. Your food needs to be as mobile as possible. I would probaby think that most people go to fairs nowadays just for
the food.

Me? I'm an exhibiton hall dweller. I can spend hours inside the photography hall, or the quilt show marveling over everyone's talents. The decorated cakes, the veggies sculptures, the bee keepers, the largest sunflower in the county.... all the time, and effort that goes into a project only to be displayed for a week and a ribbon. You see works of art from the skilled and interesting objects from the learning. I just love the exhibition halls!

The best is at the fair. My local fair is coming up in September. It has rained, snowed and been 90 degrees at the Ashland County Fair. The local kids get a day off from school even, to enjoy it. It comforting to know that in a world of cyber skills and lost innocence, a fair still waves its magicwand over America.

(I am in the process of writing a complete story on fairs and America...stay tuned!)

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'm rough & tough and I don't wear bloomers~ Nellie Braken 1887

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  09:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dawn~ I loved Medina when I was there.. Cute little down town and great gazebos in the park. I bet Fair time is amazing there..

Rene'Groom
Sister #185
Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  11:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Actually, Medina's Fair has gotten so far away from being "fair-ish". Its more mainstream...however, the Lorain, Ashland, and Wayne County fairs are quintessential fairs with everything the rural person could ask for!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'm rough & tough and I don't wear bloomers~ Nellie Braken 1887
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  3:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Dawn
Our fair here is called the Little OH State Fair,very highly regarded(Brown Cty)& it is all you mentioned above. Can't wait. It is the end of Se[ptember & usually nice & cool at night(bring out the barn jackets), but still pleasant in the day. They close our schools county wide for the whole week!
Love the fair!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Medina County Fair Time Is.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page