prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  5:21:55 PM  Show Profile
after having my grandparents visit this past week, i've gotten alot of flack for using lard (i only use it for pie crust). so i just wanted to know what your ideas are about the subject...

from research my DH and i have done, i believe ingredients humans have used for a LONG time in history are better since our bodies can break them down. our bodies are used to ingredients like lard, butter, olive oil... but veggie oils, like canola, corn, etc. are relatively new in human history as far as cooking goes.

my grandma believes you should have NO fat in your diet, lard being fat in her book is not good. now i don't necessarily believe we should be consuming a high fat, all fat diet. but i believe fats are essential to functioning...

what do you think?

hubby found that native americans back in the day would consume fat first after a kill because they knew it provided them with the energy they needed. i know we aren't as active as they were then, but doesn't that tell us something?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  5:45:25 PM  Show Profile
I like lard. I'm like you with the veggie oils. Not good for us. How do veggies have oil anyway without other synthetic stuff added to them? And the margerines and all that fake stuff. I say just use real butter but not as much. Why put all that artificial junk in your already overstressed bodies. I raised 4 pigs this past year. I sold 2 1/2 of them and got all the fat to make lard with.

And why have the older generation that was raised on all this good food have such a big change in the way they eat now? My mother only eats no fat or low fat and all those fake condiments and oils. She didn't used to. You should see my 6 year old granddaughter. She asks for all our fat when we have meat. She loves it. I did have a little talk with her today as she was eating the fat from a pork roast. About eating too much fat might lead to heart problems later. See, I am buying into it, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  5:53:12 PM  Show Profile
About the butter/margarine debate, my answer is always the same...do you trust a scientist or a cow?
I made my own lard from our pigs too Kris, it was wonderful. I sure wish I had more!
In "times past", my grandparents would use lard instead of butter on sandwiches, toast, etc. While I don't think I'd go THAT far, my grandfather was 88 and my grandmother 94 when they died and neither died from cancer or coronary problems. Sort of makes you think, doesn't it.
Di
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  6:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Crispy pork roast fat, ummmmmmmmmmm, I have always used lard from my own pigs, as did my mother and grandmothers. I use real butter, from my own milk , from my own cows that are not feed anything other than real food. My grandsons will not eat at their friends homes, cause they say the food is bad. I grow and raise everything organic, as did my parents and grandparents.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  7:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I always give our lard to my ex-mil. She makes the best tamales with it and always gives us a few dozen of them. YUM!! It's funny how people are nowadays. My mom was a vegetarian for 11 years. Not for ethical reasons, just to be eating healthier. She ate tofu and some fish but strictly no meat. So five years ago she had two clogged arteries and had to have a stent put in. Since that she eats whatever she wants, meat and all. I think sometimes your just predestined to get certain things.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  10:00:17 PM  Show Profile
My husband has always been an athlete so I rarely do fried food but when I make a crust, fried green tomatoes or fried chicken I only use lard. I do use lard from our own hogs but if I run out I will buy from the store. For me it's just if I'm going to be bad I want to be really bad!! LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  07:22:22 AM  Show Profile
I use lard for pie crust too....makes the best crust in the world (well, next to rendered poultry fat - that was my gramma's trick). You won't find margerine, fake sugar, etc. in our house...stay with the real stuff. And as far as a completely fat-free diet, won't work. There are some essential vitamins that we need that are fat-soluable and fat is NECESSARY.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  09:51:19 AM  Show Profile
toby - that is interesting that she was a vegetarian and STILL ended up with a stent... maybe it just goes to show that we aren't actually in control of what our bodies will do.

kelly - mmmmmm, rendered poultry fat? sounds fabulous... but how do you render poultry fat? i'd like to try since i now raise my own hens!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  10:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, you render it the same way you do other fat...trim it from the carcass and put it in a heavy pot with some water over very low heat. The water prevents the fat from burning while it separates fromt the impurities. The tricky thing about poultry fat is that it has a VERY low melting point and will be almost liquid at room temp (at least in the summer), so separating it from the impurities needs to be done when it's not super hot out. It keeps in the freezer for quite awhile, and I just use an icecream scoop to take out what I need when I need it. Good luck.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  11:25:15 AM  Show Profile
I have read that lard is better for you than veg oil. We all know that butter is better than margarine. My problem is that I do not have pigs and no fat to render and the lard at the grocery store is part hydrogenated lard. Still makes the best pie crust. My fav pie crust recipe is half lard and half butter. For frying, I use half butter and half olive oil.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  03:56:03 AM  Show Profile
My dad's best frined was a strict vegitarian and died of colon cancer years ago.

I believe some of this stuff is just in yor genes.

All the hydrogenated fats and oils are by far worse than anything you can get naturally.

Where did I read where all the petrolium based products both in foods and cosmetics are really bad for us b/c our bodies were not designed to metabolize stuff like this. Kind of gross when you think about it. And is reason #2 why I try to avoid synthetic clothing...even tho there are lots of pretty clothes out there. It's esentially plastic fibers that when put to a flame will melt rather than burn away like cotton, linen or hemp. (my reason #1 for avoiding this stuff especially in my bedding) but I digress....

The dose is the poison. A little lard in a tasty crust isn't going to do you in if you don't eat the whole thing!

I have recently been buying real butter for the taste and more natural aspect of it, but won't buy lard simply b/c we don't consume a lot of fatty foods or, use much salt either for that matter.

My grandmothe used to bake with this stuff called swiffning. Not sure what that is...can't find it...but it sure made some of the best cookies in the world and is probably why I can't relpicate her p-nutbutter cookies.
Go to Top of Page

farmeratlast
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Jana
OR
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  06:20:06 AM  Show Profile
I have lard in my fridge and freezer too! I bought the fat from a local farm and rendered it myself primarily to make tamales. Now I have two little piggies named Porkchop and Bacon running pasture and getting fat and they will replenish my lard supply.

I did just use it to make fried green tomatoes and they were just SO good.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  06:40:07 AM  Show Profile
I stopped using lard and real butter but am switching back to the real thing. My grandmother's peanut butter cookie recipe calls for lard and butter. They taste so good! Lard makes the best pie crust. One of our neighbors did not eat red meat and stayed away from lard & butter and his arteries clogged and he died. Isn't that telling us something? I say go for the real stuff but of course do it in moderation.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  07:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Jana, I had a Porkchop and Bacon, too! That was about 3 years ago. Then I got 4 more. But sold 2 1/2. No one wanted the fat so I got a few big boxes full. I have a quart in the fridge and will soon need to render more. I like doing that. It reminds me of my ancestors except they might have had to do it over a wood stove.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  09:29:28 AM  Show Profile
You know what after using crud for so long, and then just getting sick of tampered food. I went to using lard again too (funny how I was super skinny-actually underweight when we used to actually use lard, and since giving it up I am morbidly obese!)

Any way, I bought some lard a while back, and started making my popcorn with it. (you know in the whirly pop on top of the stove). Oh my god girls! It is the best popcorn EVER! Puts movie popcorn to shame! No more oil (like the whirly pop instructions say to use). Lard only from now on. Oh it's sooooo good. One tip, do not heat the lard first, it will melt before the popcorn starts to pop, just put the lard in the popper, then add popcorn, and start to pop. Other wise if you did like me, the first time and melted first, you may get popped and burned!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile
I've not used lard, but I love coconut oil! I substitute it for shortening and even use it to pop corn. I use 1/3 cup of popcorn to 2-3 T. of coconut oil and pop it on the stove. We also use real butter and sometimes olive or grapeseed oil too for other things. A good book to read is "Nourishing Traditions", by Sally Fallon. She even advocates for lard!

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  3:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Im a vegetarian so obviously lard is out for me but I do agree with what you are saying about simple foods and natural things and I agree that as you say our bodies can process these things better. I do eat dairy, though I have a personal issue with it, so Im still trying to decide whether or not to go vegan. *shrug* I think these are decisions you have to make for yourself and with what feels right to you. I would confront your relatives and explain your views and they can either share them or not as they choose...and then pass that flaky pie crust under their noses and see who still says nay!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  6:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
The lard I use is a natural animal product and used in moderation fat is healthy and a need in ones diet. My doctor only uses natural products and lard is one. Dislike ALL margarine and man made fats. ~Beth~

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~

Edited by - MotherLodeBeth on Oct 24 2009 6:57:42 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic lard? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page