Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Help read "Animal,vegetable,mineral"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help read "Animal,vegetable,mineral" Next Topic  

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  4:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh my god don't give me any more books.I read Barbara Kingsolver's book last fall and now just alot of produce is not enough.I need to grow enough for our family for a year.Plus not to mention the guilt if I even think about a banana...
I grew enough garlic,onions for about four months,just put up 42 quarts of tomatoes.Plus the other veggies we grow years round here in California.
I don't produce enough fruit yet so we've not even eaten hardly an apple.My neighbor gave us a box of gravensteins yesterday and they seemed like gold.
The other book I'm still working on is the permaculture model for our property.I feel this intense need to answer all of it immediately.We still need secondary fences for our horses and our recently cleared forest land turned into pasture...all in the works.Patience, Katie ,Patience.
What books have got you all excited and inspired ? Of course Mary Jane's books and magazines.What else?

mom2my2boyz
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Sarah
MN
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  6:21:49 PM  Show Profile
"Made From Scratch" by Jenna Woginrich!!!! A MUST read!!! :o) After reading her book, I found someone to show me how to read a pattern and sew clothing, I taught myself the mountain dulcimer, was inspired to start growing our own food (and thus put in 3 raised bed gardens) and buy local as much as humanly possible and avoiding the big-box stores as much as we can! It's a great read!

"So I threw my hands in the air. I was done with Wal-Mart and Wonderbread. I wanted something real."
-Excerpted from Jenna Woginrich's book, "Made from Scratch" a must-read!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Solviva (about the greenhouse) is an awesome read and might help with growing more all year round for your family! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  09:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Katie~
Mine was "diet for a new America" by John Robbins...WOW....Changed my course for sure... The other one is "Healing with wholefoods" by Paul Pitchard.... Happy reading :)

Rene'Groom
Sister #185
Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  4:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, Have you been keeping up with Jenna's blog??? I have to check it out everyday just like I do this one. It's nice to know there are like minded folks out there. Let me know if you are a Coldantler blogger....
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  8:36:39 PM  Show Profile
I guess we are all overachievers on this web site. Over enthusiastic, over crazy , over our heads!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  8:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh my god now I have to read even more books....Gosh these sound good.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  8:43:21 PM  Show Profile
I've always been a little bit this way but the book that got me back on track was Fast Food Nation and there have been so many since then.................

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help read "Animal,vegetable,mineral" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page