CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  09:54:53 AM  Show Profile
....that we're in for a cold winter because the hornet's nest the hubs just removed from my azalea was so close to the ground.

Anyone else ever heard this particular weather lore? Or anything similar? My grandmother says that if you see woolly worms in summer, that means a cold winter. And I've heard that if bees collect more honey than usual, that means a cold winter. And what is that one about a storm coming if you see cows laying down?

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

www.cherrymedarlin.etsy.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Cherry: last year the Amish came by to collect some nuts from my hickory tree. The Mother, couldn't believe how many had fell and she said that if the hickory has a hard fall (drops a lot of nuts) we're in for a cold winter. I have to agree as last year here in Ohio was COLD!And most of this summer too.... if anything but for fun, I'm keeping an eye on that tree...

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'm rough & tough and I don't wear bloomers~ Nellie Braken 1887
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile
I've heard that the more acorns the oak trees have, the colder/longer the winter will be. I've heard the same about other berry bushes as well.
I have no idea, as we seem to skip winter all together around here, anyway. No snow, just a lot of rain and mud. :(

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  10:14:58 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking about these kind of things this morning. There was some kind of weather prediction based on the number of foggy mornings in August, but I can't remember it now. The last few mornings have been very foggy here. Many the same number of snowy days in December? Not sure, I'll have to ask my mom.

Cherry~ I have seen a few wooly worms in the last week or so. Supposedly their color pattern indicates what the winter will be like. If they're dark, cold winter or if they are red, a milder winter. Or if the are, say, dark, then light we would have a cold start, then warm up. But I have seen a few "blondes" so I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

I have also heard that the thicker the onion skin, the colder the winter will be. I cut up a bunch from my garden today. They didn't seem too terribly thick, but man, they made my eyes water!!

You can also split a persimmon seed in half and it will tell how the winter will be. You should be able to see either a knife, fork, or spoon inside. I can't remember what they mean. I think the knife is windy, spoon is snowy...OK, I don't know, but they mean something!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If cows start laying down, there is a storm on the way- they lay down to preserve their body heat.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile
At the end of the storm, my grandmother always said if there was enough blue sky showing to make a Dutchman a new pair of britches then it was going to clear up.

Also, if the wind was blowing so the leaves turned "inside out" then a storm was brewing nearby.

Don't you wonder where some of these old sayings came from???

Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  11:35:23 AM  Show Profile
Veeeerrry interesting! Toni, I'm mad at the hubs now because we had a persimmon tree in the front yard that he cut down a couple of years ago. Now I can't check that out. Surely I can find another one somewhere on the side of this mountain because now I just HAVE to split a persimmon seed! And about the wooly worms, I didn't know that! The only ones I've ever seen are black and burnt orange striped. But that's how our winters are down here. We have a warm snap and it starts raining and then a cold front comes through and drives out the rain.

And the Farmer's Almanac said something about the foggy mornings. I'll look that one up.

Dawn and Hosanna, after I read your posts, I remembered something about nut-producing trees. I just associate it with deer hunting now because the hubs says the more nuts on the ground, the fatter the deer will be. But that ties in with a cold winter, too, because the deer are gonna want to fatten themselves up to stay warmer, don't you think? And, Hosanna, we rarely have snow, too.

Alee, we have a weather forecaster locally who's always talking about cows and weather. He grew-up on a dairy farm or some such something and swears by it!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  11:37:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Luane, I do! I love this type of old wisdom. You know there has to be a thread of truth to it. And I love throwing this kind of stuff at my 17 yo DD and watching her roll her eyeballs at me!

Wonder how big of a Dutchman?

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile
I've heard if the acorns cluster on the oak tree like grapes we will have a hard winter. Also, if the bees have their homes in the ground we will have a hard winter. I think we're in trouble. My brother has gotten stung by bees several times in the last 2 weeks because of driving over their homes with the tractor. Also, I saw an oak tree with clusters of acorns. I'll be taking note of it this winter to see if these sayings are really true.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I believe they also face their hineys into the wind so their faces are protected. I know horses will do that.

My horse and dog have been shedding out their winter coats and Tala is so funny looking. She is nice and sleek on her neck and shoulders, but the further back you go on her back and hips the furrier she gets. I think winter is coming sooner than we like to think. September 18th is the Almanac frost date! YIKES!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  3:09:34 PM  Show Profile
we had not one acorn last year and had one of the worst winters in 30 years. I have also had cows for 36 years and they seem to keep munching during most storms. In fact they make me nervous they won't take cover in a bad storm just keep on grazing. I am not sure how the farmers almanac formulates thier predicitions but they seem to be right on. I have found that if I get alot of my garden put up then it will be a quick winter. If I didn't get the freezer and pantry full the winter will seem to last forever.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  3:37:59 PM  Show Profile
This is realy interesting. I have heard about the hornet's nest. If they are close to the ground that's how much snow we'll have. And the wooly worms, too. We have alot of hickory nuts out back and acorns, too.

We had a few snows last year here. And it was cold. And wet.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Aug 27 2009 3:39:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9397 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9397 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  6:50:44 PM  Show Profile
I too have heard about the wooly worms but could never remember how that went about their colors.
And the leaves turning inside out when a storm was brewing.
My husband is a hunter so I knew about the nuts and deer and fattening up.
Have not heard of alot of these others.
Great thread!

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  7:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Toni, found it! The number of fogs in August equals the number of snows the following winter. Straight from the almanac! And I'm looking for more! Stay tuned!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  7:49:10 PM  Show Profile
Here's some more:

Observe on which day in August the first heavy fog occurs, and expect a hard frost on the same day in October.

If the first week in August is unusually warm, the winter will be white and long.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:41:26 AM  Show Profile
Ok Cherry, we had a heavy fog Wed. morning. So I wrote it on my calendar in Oct so I'll remember to see if we get a hard frost. If that's true, then I have less than 2 months for my garden to grow fall stuff now. I better hurry and get out there and get to planting. But it's raining today and will through Sunday. So I will do that next week.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  11:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh, the Farmers Almanac story was something I read about 20 years ago -- I think it was republished in some country living magazine..it said something similar, but the foggy days were to be counted in June July & August. I've always followed those months...yikes..an' if the 3 month time frame is true, here we "could" have 16 snowy days next winter...We'll see about that!! I've been watching the foggy mornings/days all summer.

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cherry! It is a little late for me to start counting now, but I know we have had at least three fogs this month. Three snows wouldn't be too bad this winter. I don't remember what the first week of August was like, but it doesn't seem like we have had any really hot weather this summer, so maybe we will have a short gray winter instead!!

It is starting to look like fall up here a bit. The corn and beans are drying out and some of the leaves are falling. Could be our lack of rain for the last few weeks, too, but I like to say it's fall instead. I picked a bunch of miniature pumpkins out of my garden today, so it must be close!

Kris~ I planted some peas in my garden today and some turnips last Sunday. I've never planted a fall garden before so I hope it works! Good luck with yours!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  1:50:29 PM  Show Profile
I work with a man who grew up in New Mexico, and there was a local guy (Gordon Wimsatt) who used rendered bear fat to predict the weather. I don't know the details, but my colleague has a video and said it was uncanny how accurate ol' Gordon was!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  8:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Cherry,

My husband brought me a wasp nest from a client's yard. I asked him how high it was from the ground and he said about 14 inches. This will be interesting to see if our Winter will be really cold. Fun thread :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 30 2009 3:44:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  08:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Laurianne, I wish I'd been keeping up with it now! Ha! I don't like to be caught off-guard!

Kris, you make sure to tell us if ya'll get the frost! That'll be my gauge on that lil' bit of lore.

Toni, I'd think three snows would be a given in Indiana. We haven't had a really hot summer down here this year either.

I don't mind having a cold winter as long as I don't have to be out in it too much. I'd rather be too hot than too cold. And I love being cozied up next to the fire, a hot toddy in my hand, and soup simmering on the stove, making the house smell delicious! I'll be planning on that very thing, just in case. Our Blizzard of '91 was a huge lesson in always being prepared for extended power outages during the coldest months of the year. And from that experience, the first thing I think of to stock-up on is tp and hot chocolate!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, my Mom lives in Connecticut and she says that the news is reporting that the winter will be a hard or long one because of the amounts of acorns there are. An abundance :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  1:16:00 PM  Show Profile
I sure hope we have cold, cold, cold weather in Louisiana. Hopefully we may be so cold to have actual snow. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  4:03:52 PM  Show Profile
The old timers around me says if there lots of nuts (this case, pecans) then it will be a longgggg winter. I lived here going on 5th year and so far it holds true. This year the pecans have few nuts.. so we're thinkin a short HARD winter... I hope that does not mean ice storms in my area.
(shrugs)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  4:14:39 PM  Show Profile
I love old weather folklore!!!
I have not seen a single wooly bear(caterpillar) this past summer, so I am planning on seeing what it means for this winter!
Here in upstate NY they say you can tell what kind of a winter it will be by the squirrels activity. Well, last fall we lived in town, and the squirrels were crazy wild. Our dogs would chase them, and they'd come right back to dig holes for their nuts. Then at the end of November we moved to the country, the squirrels were even more crazy here! We had a very cold, very severe winter.
The squirrels this fall seem to be more laid back, they run back and forth, but I think it is more to torment the dogs than to gather their nuts, lol! Also, we have a big tub of nuts in the open garage that the grand children picked up off the ground, normally the squirrels would have taken them by now.
I have heard, though, that the North east is to expect a warmer than normal winter, I sure hope so, after the cold summer we had!!!
Oh, and have you heard this one? When maple leaves(I have also heard it said of oak leaves) are turned upside down, expect a major storm within a short time. Seems to make sense as a strong wind blows in a storm and blows the leaves upside down!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic The Old-Timer said........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page