Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I feel bad for being rude to telemarketers.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I feel bad for being rude to telemarketers. Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:11:10 PM  Show Profile
Ok, anybody else feel rotten when you have to be rude to a telemarketer or other "support our cause" callers?
I feel positively rotten about doing it. The last time I tried to be nice to one, I got "sukkered" into a "deal" where I was supposed to get a $50 gas card for agreeing to buy a bunch of magazine subscriptions that totaled $900 for the year!
When I realized what had happened, I called them up to cancel and they wouldn't even let me. So I just started sending the magazines back and eventually they got the message.
Most of the time I just look at my caller id on my cell and skip the calls that are from unknown numbers. But once in a while when I happen to pick up and I realize it's a telemarketing call, I hang up, or say "NO THANKYOU!!" and then hang up. Then I fell awful about it.
After all, they're just doing their job. Anybody know of a nicer way to deal with them? Seems like the nicer I try to be, the more they persist.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:27:27 PM  Show Profile
I just keep saying no. Usually they only persist perhaps 3 times. I think they realize when they are wasting time on an unproductive call. It's very easy when it's a business service, but harder when it's a charity. I've started just telling them honestly that I don't like being put on a call list or mailing list after making a contribution, and I prefer to make cash donations in person when the opportunity arises.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:30:36 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about in the US Hosanna, but here they have enacted a law whereby if you tell them to not call you, they must remove you from their call lists.
I try not to be rude as you are right, many of them are only trying to make a living. Lord knows it must be very difficult to work a job where you get hung up on or have somebody be rude to you for your entire shift.
HOWEVER (there's always one of those, isn't there!)...there are those that are extremely persistent and pushy, or they try and make you feel guilty. Those I am rude to. My attitude does a 360 and they really tick me off. I feel we have a right to our privacy and we get enough commercial advertising constantly thrown at us without them phoning my private home number.
Okay I must go now, as I have to phone a number in Florida. Apparently I have won a cruise! I just have to attend one seminar... <grin>
Di
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  1:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Same here Diane. I was a telemarketeer for about 3 months and lemme tell ya: THREE months too long! (even without the money payment problems)
I agree, they are mostly scams, lol. I had to call and to try and make the peeps change gas/electricity company. Well, we were SUPPOSED to be a lot cheaper, up to 25 %...HA, yeah for the real bigtime users! But for a regular family it might have saved them a few bucks a YEAR!!!

I DO agree though, try to be nice to the telemarketeers. They ALL know it is a crummy job they do, lol. They often hate it as well, hate it to disturb you while you are having supper. Or trying to sleep in in the morning. But they are TOLD to keep pestering you till you give in. Whether they like it or not.

I realize not all telemarketeer jobs are crummy, but most are!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:04:59 PM  Show Profile
I am on the federal "DO NOT CALL LIST", and I still get calls, I call back the number that shows on my caller ID, ask to speak to a superviser, and calmly explain that I have given their number and company name to the DA's office, so they will be fined, all the proof I need is the info that is saved on my caller ID, and they know it, I very rarely get a call from that number again. I can not feel sorry for someone who is calling me and knowing I'm on the do not call list, and yes they know, cause your number comes up flaged

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:15:20 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh..that's interesting Teresa. I didn't realize our numbers were flagged.
I used to get two or three calls from our bank a week, trying to sell me insurance for this or additional services for that. They were so persistent that I told them if I got one more call from them, I would be changing banks! I haven't had a call since. :) Mind you I am put off by banks since the time I was in there renewing our mortgage I saw a not-so-hidden note that said "Remember that every customer is a source of revenue". Blah!
Di

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
We have the "No call" list here in the states too but I don't think they pay any mind to it. And there's supposed to be another law that says if you ask them to remove you from their list that they are supposed to. Yeah that doesn't work either.

My worst ever telemarketer call ever had to be about 10 years ago. My son was a baby, my oldest a couple of years old. This person called at 2am and woke everyone in my house up. Normally I try to be nice cause I know they have a job to do just like the rest of us. this person asked for the doctor who had my phone number before. I told her she had the wrong number then she preceeded to try to sell me thier alarm system. I tried to simply say I wasn't interested. She went on. Two kids screamin, then husband grumbling. I'm like lady "Do you have any idea what time it is?! It's 2am and you've got everyone in my house out of bed. I'm not interested!" She then had the nerve to get hateful with me. This happened a couple of more times in the wee hours of the morning. Finally I found the number to the corporate office and gave one of the head honchos an earful. Magically the calls stopped.

Sometimes I can get off with a not interested and hang up. Other times if I get stuck on the line, I can get off with a "well I'm a single mom with three kids and this is just not in my budget." Pity the rest of the time usually does not have a pleasant ending for either of us. I know that leaves me feeling really crummy for the next few hours. I can't imagine what they must feel like to have to go through that time and time again. I don't think it's a type of work I would ever be able to handle.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  3:47:56 PM  Show Profile
I do not feel sorry for the telemarkers at all. I ask them not to call, they call. I speak French to them, they still call. I hang-up on them, they still call. I start off being nice, that does not work.
Sorry you are feeling sorry. You are a better person than I.
Of course, today has been a "rattle the brain day". Sometimes being nice is a tough thing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile
You always need to say Please take my number of the calling list. That way they can't call you anymore supposedly.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  4:59:56 PM  Show Profile
All I can say is....don't feel bad.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  5:12:34 PM  Show Profile
My husband was laid up sick the Spring of 2008. He kept getting phone calls all day long. He was very bad. He would let the computer transfer him to a live person then ask if they would mind holding he need to get something. He would leave the person on hold. He figured that if they were wasting his time he could waste theirs. We have not got too many calls since then. You try and not to be mean but when they call and call over and over for the same thing and you state that you are not interested and that they should not be calling this number I think that just insights them to call again.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  7:01:47 PM  Show Profile
I always explain to the callers that I have no money but could I please have their services on credit

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  7:27:00 PM  Show Profile
I am also on the Federal and State (Colorado) Do Not Call Lists. The only calls we get now are usually recorded political calls during election time.

Our phone company itself was a source of many calls.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  7:40:19 PM  Show Profile
You guys are way nicer than I am. I know it's their job and they may hate it but they are the ones calling me. I'm on the do-not-call list too and just the other day, got two phone calls from the same people. Honestly, their accents were so thick that I didn't waste time. When I answered, they said 'something' with their heavy accents and I said, 'What did you say?' and hung up. The next time I said I was on the do not call list and hung up. I had a feeling this was scam territory. Oh, yeah, I'm going to give out my personal info to some clown that calls me out of the blue! Even if I could understand them, I still wouldn't do it!!

This is one of those times I turn into my female truck driver mode and let them have it. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  06:02:15 AM  Show Profile
I've done the do not call list, but it doesn't stop the companies you have actually done business with from calling you. So any business that your bank is affiliated with, and any charities that you may have contributed to in the past can still call you. And also any businesses that you may have given your info to since filling out the "do not call" form.

I don't really have any hard feelings toward telemarketers, and I don't get any kicks from being mean to them or "getting them back". There's nothing wrong with just saying "no, thanks" and hanging up.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Telemarketers are sometimes the only source of entertainment around here. I hate it when it is a recording, I don't get to smart back at them. We get the same one a lot telling us that we have a $6000 balance on our credit card and they can help us lower the interest and payment. I lead them on until I get to the "real" person doing the selling. Then I start screaming that someone has stolen my card because I don't have any debt on my card. I scream and rant and rave and scream at Ole Ron, on and on. They finally hang up on ME.

Some time ago a septic tank cleaning service kept calling. They would always say the same thing, that they understand that we have a septic tank here at our residence on Route 1. Over and over I would tell them that we have a service that we are satisfied with. Finally after about 10 calls, When they stated that we have a septic tank, I interupted and said, we do not have a septic tank. We S**t in the yard. They hung up on me.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  07:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I DO agree it is a nuisance!! But you know, HERE the marketeers don't call themselves. They are on a puter phone and the Puter calls the number and then ya have to talk the talk and do the walk, lol.
I really REALLY understand y'all, but being a little bit nice, please?? Just for my former co-workers??
The one I was working for told us to just almost demand (yup demand, and I didn't do that hence my not working there anymore (they are bankrupt now;) ) that people listen to them. Yes I know it sounds awful and it was. I absolutely hated the job but for me it payed my rent, well it was supposed to duh!!

I am on a no call list and never get called, yippee. Maybe that is because we are a smaller country, who knows :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:08:27 AM  Show Profile
I hang up on the computers. I simply interrupt the telemarketer with a "Not interested" and hang up the phone. I don't feel guilty about it at all.

Farmgirl #208

What are you doing with your dash?
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:46:53 AM  Show Profile
I haven't read all the posts, so if I offend anyone who does telemarketing....I'm sorry in advance. I have NO tolerance for telemarketing. At one time, a simple 'no' was sufficient and the call was over. Now, if I say 'no, not interested' I start to get an argument from the telemarketer...'Why?? Why aren't you interested'...then they go into a fast paced pitch for the product or organization. It's very annoying and some telemarketers have become quite aggressive. I rarely answer my phone anymore. I let the voice mail kick in and caller id helps. Even at work, for example, every day for a while I would get a call from the same telemarketers, even after I've said no repeatedly. They were very insistant and even got angry when I said no! I just hang up. I wish I had one of those little horns that blast when they called...they would really get an earful! I know it's one way to make a living, but the calls come at inconvenience times and they've become much nastier.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Aug 28 2009 10:49:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  11:24:37 AM  Show Profile
I have been on the Federal Do Not Call Registry, an it works here _ even with cell phone numbers. There are one or 2 stray calls, from companies who have my numbrer listed from another customer of some off the wall receivables departments..I refuse to be polite to them. They can see the number is indeed tagged w/Do Not Call" Some people see it right away..I've heard them say, "OhNo!', and immediately hang up. If they just try to push, I'm even more rude. Their tactics are ruthless, and they have no qualms about trying to force you to say/buy/order junk from them.

I'm sad that the Political Campaigns use the phone so much during election years, tho. But that is still far better than those horrid companies...Ugh!

Oh, and by the way -- if a company does call your phone number and you are listed with the Federal Do Not Call Registry, the fine for using your number is $5,000. That's a big chunk of change, an' most companies won't try to push that fine. I highly recommend going to the federal site and registering every number you have.

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  11:34:17 AM  Show Profile
I try to not be rude the first time. However after weeks of the same call and we have asked to be removed,I can get a little rude if I answer at all. I think they are the rude ones though. I had a friend that needed a job badly and she took a position for an air conditioning company that made these kind of calls..... she hated it and the company was mean to her too. Tnankfully she has found a job that doesn't do this kind of thing.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  11:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't like the calls, but I know that they are instructed to call you back if you don't hear the introduction, so I bite my tongue and wait until they ask the first question and explain to them that I am not interested and to please add my number to their do not call list. Some companies have called me back and then I ask to speak with a supervisor. But 95% of the time they don't ever call me back.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  12:02:23 PM  Show Profile
Funny that this subject came up. I just got off the phone with Dish Network trying to sell me on a dish. Heavy middle-eastern accent, I told him no thanks and hung up. He called back immediately and wanted to know why? I told him I can't afford it and to stop calling me and hung up. Would you believe he called me back again? I recognized the number on the caller ID so, I didn't pick up. 10 minutes go by and the phone rings with a different phone number showing so I answered it and it was the SAME guy!!! He called me from a different number! He wanted to know WHY I couldn't afford it! That's none of your business AND WHAT PART OF STOP CALLING ME DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND! That is just way too aggressive for me and they are never going to get my business if and when I ever decide to have tv in my house again. I'll be nice the first time and sometimes the second but, that's it. I know they are just doing their job but this is ridiculous!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  1:59:05 PM  Show Profile
I admit, I do hang up on telemarketers. I do kind of feel bad about it, but I'd rather just hang up on them than get mean or nasty. They're just trying to do a job and support themselves, and I guess that's better than a lot of things.

But Lisa, oh my word if they had done that I probably would've let them have it! There's no excuse for THAT kind of excessive behavior.

Farmgirl #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  01:11:29 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you on THAT Lisa, that was SO rude and idiotic. GGGRRR!!!!!

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I feel bad for being rude to telemarketers. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page