Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 Technical Support
 Availability of personal info
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Technical Support: Previous Topic Availability of personal info Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  11:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi. I'm sure everybody's seen the recent postings from Aunt Clemys Farm Girl (Linda). I'm not sure exactly how her place of work and work phone number got out there, but it sounds like she attributed it to someone researching the ip address of the computer she posted from.

This is a distressing situation, to say the least. I had no idea that it was possible for us to trace each other's computers and extract personal information from a posting here. I know the motivation in this case was all caring and concern, but still...that's a little scary.

Is this something that the technical support people at MJF might address? Is the tracing something that was done by a moderator, or just by an individual reader? Maybe there are ethics guidelines in the techie world that dictate when such an action is warranted?

Or perhaps there was no tech stuff involved. Maybe someone just had that contact info for Linda and shared it with too many others. If that's the case, I'd appreciate knowing that too. I think it might put some of our minds at ease.

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  12:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
It is my understanding that info was gathered by other farmgirls that were already in relationship with this farmgirl through swaps and other info... no one is out there getting IP addresses. The farmgirl was simply saying "before someone goes to some big exteme" LIKE hunting down an IP address not that someone did....

We all make friendships and build relationships with so many of the farmgirls.. I have several that I would never have ever met had it not been for this outlet. We swap info, cell numbers,addresses etc. I know that they care about me or I would have never given them the info. At some point we just have to trust that even if something is done that we don't like..... that we are at least willing to see that peoples hearts are in the right place....

When everthing is weighed and balanced~ I still choose to trust that we farmgirls are just a bunch of well meaning gals...

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  12:27:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Rene. I'm just sorry that Linda was so upset and I thought perhaps it should be addressed by someone representing MJF. I thought she was saying that that was what she believed had happened, and that she had gotten in trouble at work for using the business computer.

And if it were possible for anyone reading a post to track down the person who had sent it, I think that's something we should all be aware of. It might be a security thing that ought to be fixed. Or it might at least make us think twice before posting while at work!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  3:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There is no way for personal information to get out there unless you put it out there yourself. If you respond to an email, your IP address is in the Header of the email, whether you use an internet based provider or not. Though some programs don't show that unless you specifically tell it to. If you click on profile, you can determine how much to show to the world ie- where you live, name etc. You can send emails through the forum, but if you don't want to reply- the sender doesn't have your email address. I know that the moderators have done everything humanly possible to make sure there is no way to get to private information off the forum- unless you give it out yourself. That is why the moderators always encourage people to NOT post their emails, real names, or address directly onto the forum pages themselves. Also if you do share your personal information and are concerned about it being passed on- you might want to make sure to tell your farmgirl friends to please keep your private information confidential.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  6:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, I was one of the ones who had done a swap with Linda and passed along her address with advising it be sent to Aunt Clemy's farmgirl. That is how it was done when we swapped as Linda did not share her last name. No problem there. I was contacted by another farngirl who shared with me that someone was able to get her information through the farm. Last name and a different address from what I had. I can only assume that somebody made the call to share that information. Don't know how people would have gotten her work number or anything. I would not want someone calling my work if it were me. I think the farmgirl spirit is wonderful that we share here. I believe her post was mainly to share and seek prayers or whatever but with so many of us things can a little out of focus. It is difficult to say the least to really know what someone is asking in a post so most times we need to take it for what it is and be careful not to read more into than they share with us.
There is so much love and concern shared throughout this forum and many friendships have been made. That is a wonderful gift that we can all come here and share things we learned, ask for advice and prayers. Because this is technology though we can only know what others tell us. I think MaryJane has given us wonderful opportunity to meet others whom otherwise we may never have known.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Amie, I had raised a similar question sometime back about our personal information and how accessible it was to outsiders. The folks at Mary Janes very kindly removed my name from the sisterhood roster and replaced it with my nick name I use here. The thing is, a few days later I wanted to send out a small gift to the gals who had been farmgirls of the month and ended up asking several ladies for their names and addresses so I could send them a small gift. It made me feel rather silly over asking for my name to be changed. I never ever had a concern about the women who use this forum. I did have concerns about people outside our wonderful group having access to my full name. It makes me very sad to think that in our wanting to send a card to Aunt Clemy's farm girl to show our love and concern after reading a posting she made, has now resulted in causing her distress. There were 2 Linda's having health issues and I did have a role in helping get a couple people in touch with our 2nd Linda, known as "a rose" and through her daughter Kelly, also a farmgirl, she has expressed that it has touched her to be remembered and thought of by her fellow farm girls. I guess we have 2 Linda's and 2 different feelings. All we can do is be respectful of Aunt Clemy's wishes and hope for the best for her.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  11:16:44 PM  Show Profile
All I have to say iis if I ever write a email like hers- y'all please put forth that kind of effort and come lookin for me. If anyone needs to find me type in my name on any search engine. You can type any variation of my information that I put on here and you will find me.

If you are members of groups/forums, facebook, linked in, plaxo. My info is out there and it comes from what I put out.

I am sorry this happened to her but if she would have answered the first, second. Or any follow up email this would not have escalated to this.

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  04:47:04 AM  Show Profile
It could be that she did not get these emails right away and it did seem as though EVERYONE was attempting to find her and maybe that should have been kept down to 1 or 2 volunteers and if no response then we should have given her privacy and waited until she got back to us. I do appreciate the concern we all share with and for one another but let's face it we can all get each other a bit wound up at times. This is a forum that you are not required to post on everyday, week or even month. We all need our space and all she really asked for was prayer.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  08:26:29 AM  Show Profile
Well- I was the one that suggested a card shower. I felt so moved by her first post- it brought me to tears. When Linda stated that she was alone and scared- I thought a card shower would help bring her some comfort knowing that we where here for her. By no means- did we want to invade her in any way!! I had seen card showers done before and hoped it would help her thru the challenging days ahead.
I understand this- that some people ask for help and in different ways than I do.
I, also understand that I will complete a few barters and swaps thet I have joined and then I will leave this site.
This event weighed very heavy on my heart for over a week- I have prayed, cried and tried to help this person and feel like I was attacked in the process- it is very clear I do not belong here.
Lori

Thank GOD I'm a Country Girl!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  08:36:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Lori, I sure hope you don't leave. That would be awful. I missed the whole thing, but understand what happened and offering to do something kind for someone (as you've often done for me) and the end result (out of your control and in no way a reflection on your original intent) shouldn't make you feel heartheavy. It's an unfortunate happening, but don't think for one second you made it happen.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  09:32:07 AM  Show Profile
Please don't do that, Lori. I understand that you must feel terrible, but it wasn't at all wrong for you to suggest sending cards. You're right, it's something that's been done before and made the recipients very happy. How could you have known?

I hope I didn't make you feel worse about it by starting this thread. It just seemed like such a catastrophe that I was hoping we could find out where it went wrong and stop it from happening that way again.

If there's 100% no security issue, then I guess it just comes down to everyone being a little more cautious and patient.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:31:52 AM  Show Profile
No need to leave Lori, it was an unfortunate set of circumstances that affected everyone involved.
My only hope is that this sad turn of events won't prevent us from reaching out to another farmgal in need.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:58:08 AM  Show Profile
(((Lori))) You did nothing wrong girlfriend, so please don;t leave over this. Cardshowers are a wonderful way to show you care and support. I have also send her a card. Like I said YOU did nothing wrong so no need to leave :)

Hugs to you sweetie.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:59:08 AM  Show Profile
I was the one who asked Rene for help when we were looking at how to contact Linda. I am so sorry that it leaded into this because I know for sure every one intentions were pure and only friendly. We never spy on any one and info circulate freely in between everybody. Maybe, because of the sensitivity of the subjects and the discretion of Linda about her info, too much has been said in here and thus difficult to face.
Lori, please do not leave. We cannot change things but we can change the way to look at them and next time. It was nobody fault but a conjunction of events. In the 2 years I have been around, many things have happened on the Forum and we've all survived them. One day maybe, she will be able to just feel how worried we all felt and the love that came into this.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  11:14:17 AM  Show Profile
The outcome of this in unbelievable to me. Lori, you and I and many others were very concerned for this woman. I will not apologize for reaching out trying to comfort Linda. When I read the words she posted, such as "alone", "shut-up", "scared"; my heart said to reach out and help. I think that that is what most of us with good intentions did. Am I missing a point here? Why all the hush hush? Why are we, including me, posting to this Technical Support site and not to the regular MJF site? For an approximate week or so I was a wreck worrying about how Linda was doing. Now, all of her initial posts are gone. I am so confused, but not stupid.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile
All we did was to spend time and in some cases money trying to help and I feel as though I've been kicked in the teeth. It's said that this world is filled with cold, uncaring and indifferent people who do not reach out to help. I thought that's what we were doing. I understand Linda's frustration if calls were received at her job, that's understandable. I get that, but to bite the heads off of the people who worried, prayed and wracked their brains trying to help without the courtesy of knowing if she has the help she needs is frankly insulting. You can stick a fork in me...I'm done.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  11:44:54 AM  Show Profile
PURE SPECULATION...she was using her work computer for personal use and with her work being contacted in an effort to find her, she was "outed" to management. That may explain why we didn't hear from her over the weekend, but we did first thing Monday morning and why she stated we had done more harm than good...also why she deleted her posts.
Anyway, what is done is done...all with the BEST of intentions. No ONE did anything wrong here, just an unfortunate set of circumstances.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  12:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Connie:
Thank you for posting your feelings. At least now I know I'm not the only one feeling so confused. I would like to say "Thank You" to all the girls out there that cared and sent cards, letters, etc... trying to comfort Linda. If I am ever in a situation that I post such a thread saying "scared", etc... I am telling all of you farmgirls, I will be thankful. As a matter of fact, in September of 2005 the Mary Jane Farmgirls did help me more than they will ever know. For three days before Hurricane Ike hit our area, it was the farmgirls that stayed in touch with me and gave me more comfort, understanding, and sanity than anyone else. For the second time in three years my house was flooded with 4 feet of water. I had no way of communicating with the farmgirls, but did get to a friends computer and emailed one farmgirl who posted on this site that I was fine and would get back to the forum when I could. Nine months later I did. I got cards, letters, etc... from this farmgirls I knew only from chatting with them.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Technical Support: Previous Topic Availability of personal info Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page