Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Hello. I'm Kris and I'm a bread-a-holic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Hello. I'm Kris and I'm a bread-a-holic Next Topic
Page: of 2

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  05:05:31 AM  Show Profile
I looked up the sourdough instructions...looks soooo easy. Definitely gonna give it a try. Anyone have a preference to flour brands? Specifically for bread making. I like King Arther Bread Flour myself, but more often than not (due to finances) I have to stick with plain old store brands. The store brands seem to make a heavier loaf, and not in a good way.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1676 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1676 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  08:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I just use Gold Medal white flour. I was so busy yesterday did't get onto getting a post out. I made two loaves of the French bread. Went to go pick up gran daughter at pre-school and hubby ate half of one loaf like in the thirty minutes I was gone.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  09:57:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm not so much of a bread-a-holic. but my husband totally is. he could live on garlic bread. but i wanted to say that my husband was raised on purified water because the tap water was pretty revolting and their family didn't have the money for sodas and stuff. my family, however, did and we drank everything but water! so when we met he was a professed bottled water snob. he wont drink arrowhead unless he is almost dehydrated and there is nothing else. he's funny. and now, after 6 years, he has me doing the same thing! we call ourselves water snobs. some 'water' is just and ansult to H2O, I'm telling you.

and reading this and how some of you gals can't eat cheap store bought bread, I thought, they are the bread snobs to us being water snobs! It's not a bad thing, it just means you know your stuff. And on Sunday I'm going to try the cinnamon rolls recipe with my Sourdough starter, it'll be my first recipe! The only bread I've ever made other than that is Jewish Sabbath day egg bread. It was heavy and amazing and had this thick hard crust and I glazed it with egg and braided it. It was so beautiful it didn't look real! my husband adored it and requested that I make it EVERY Sunday, but boy oh boy did it take a long time with all that kneading and waiting and rising and more kneading and braiding. and then it was so thick it lasted us almost two weeks! it was phenomenal with a bit of butter though.

so, I am currently a confessed water snob. but, I'm a wee bit worried that like tap water, I'll be ruined for store bought bread forever, thanks to MaryJanes Farm! (I'm excited, I'd love to by known by my family and friends as the lady with a fresh loaf on her table every night!)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile
by the way has anyone tried making home made tortillas? I could post the resipe I've been using. They are AMAZING! And I'm all for saving money, especially in the kitchen where so, SO much can be saved! I found that home made tortillas, plain old black beans cooked at home, not from a can, and a bit of cheese make awesome little lunch tacos. Another great cheap alternative is home fried potatoes instead of black beans. With the homemade tortillas, I was eating these tacos everyday for lunch for quite some time, till I got too pregnant to be standing in the kitchen that long. And I had tried them with store bought tortillas and they are just so, so boring in comparison! anyone else do any homemade tortillas?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Heather, at church there are alot of us that make the "whole wheat ground from wheat berries" cult. We are seriously called the bread cult. We are always talking about our bread and what we made and how we made it. When we first got started with this method and raising chickens and goats and cows and all things farm we had a mother-daughter banquet with awards and one of them was the "Little House on the Prarie" award. Me and 3 others got it. It was too funny, but what an honor! So we are quite serious about this bread business.

And some have the tortilla makers, too. The little thing that presses the dough and cooks it. I would love to have one. One day I will. Maybe I should ask for that for Christmas this year. I would love your recipe. I have got to make the chevre cheese soon, too. I have the cheese press and all the stuff to make it. I might just have to do that in the next few days because I have plenty of milk right now. And I found another easy cheese recipe last night I'm going to try this weekend, too.

Happy bread baking, ya'll!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  10:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Jen ,as long as you use organic flour I think it'll be ok. Julie (Willowtree?) knows so much about that. You could ask her. I hope you try it. I am going to wait a few more months til it gets cooler to start mine again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  2:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Heather, please share your recipe. I would love to make some. Grandkids love them too!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm expecting my fourth baby, and I am craving bread something crazy!

This week I made english muffins, potato foccacia, hot dog buns, pizza & breadsticks, and cinnamon rolls. Oh, and we are having homemade challah with dinner tonight, but that's from the freezer.

Best,

Tzi
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  4:34:39 PM  Show Profile
ok! Tortilla Recipe:

from the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook Copyright 1980

Note: I use Butter Flavored Crisco and this makes them SO amazing!

4.5 cups flour
0.5 cups lard (this is where I substitute that butter flavored crisco)
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons salt

Directions:

1. In bowl mix 4 cups flour with 2 teaspoons salt; cut in lard until blended. Add one cup warm water; mix well. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth, about 3 minutes, adding more flour if needed.

3. Divid dough into 20 peices (this will make 20 taco sized tortillas or 10 pieces for 10 burrito size tortillas); cover. On floured surface with rolling pin, roll one dough peice into 5-6 inch circle (or for burrito sized tortillas roll into 10 inch circles) In ungreased 12-inch skillet over medium high heat, cook tortilla 1 minute until brown specks appear; turn, cook 30 seconds. Place between sheets of foil; keep warm. Repeat with rest of pieces.

Note: I had to fool around with this recipe and the pan I was using to get a well cooked tortilla, but besides the burnt one they all tasted amazing! good luck! if you have any questions about it, I might be able to help. so gimme a shout!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile
oh! forgot one secret thing!

I add 2 Tablespoons olive oil to the recipe when I add in the criso. otherwise they are pretty dry, but this helps a whole lot

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  6:10:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm in with you gals. Bread is at the top of the best foods list. I love the bread (any kind) baked in the wood stove. The smell puts on 50 pounds lol.

Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1676 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1676 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  6:50:00 PM  Show Profile
I make homemade tortillas all the time when we have tacos or beans ( that I cook all day long). I make everthing from scratch. I don't have a tortilla press so I roll them out. I won't by store bought.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  8:12:18 PM  Show Profile
All this has made me hungry too ! I love wheat breads ,I don't eat white. They have to be moist not crumbly. A meal is not a meal till the homemade bread is on the table. I have " The wooden Spoon" Bread Book by Marilyn M. Moore and it has over 250 recipes and secrets in it. Its fun to try different ones. Laurie your french bread looks so Yummy !!!

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Hello. I'm Kris and I'm a bread-a-holic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page