Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 plastic canvas anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic plastic canvas anyone? Next Topic
Page: of 3

fairymom
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Holly
San Diego Ca
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:14:50 PM  Show Profile
what a fun idea!

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
-G.K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  7:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone seen the new Kleenex boxes? The are shaped like a wedge of fruit! A little bigger than the boutique size.....I bought a watermelon one and I'm going to use it for a pattern and cover it with the watermelon design of plastic canvas.

I have dollhouse patterns...in the meantime I should start the dollhouse too. I have the pattern for traditional dollhouse sized....like the wood ones in the stores...also the Barbie sized fancy house....that's alot of work!
I'd love to see the strawberry you are working on....take a pic please????

"When it comes to choosing who will be in your life, I recommend
valuing their "Yeeee-Haaaaaaa!" quality above all others."
The Universe ww.tut.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile
It is so funny...I was just thinking yesterday that I hadn't heard from any of The Plastic Canvas Farm Girls
lately and then this morning there were some new post. I am still trying to learn how to get my pictures to the Forums. Any suggestions girls. I know it is probably easier than I am trying to make it. I couldn't open that link either, that I sent of the Farm Chic. Don't give up on me...I will figure it out somehow. Do you gals who regularly put pictures in...just copy and paste or what?
Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  01:56:32 AM  Show Profile
[URL=http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx227/pegsmiles/Farm%20Chic/?action=view¤t=FARMCHIC-1.jpg][/URL]

OK Girls...I think I finally figured out Photo Bucket and how to get these pictures on here. This is my little Farm Chic I did in Plastic
Canvas. Some of you wanted to see her.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  5:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I recently purchased a lot of plastic canvas at an estate sale. I can't wait to get started on it.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  1:45:10 PM  Show Profile

I love Plastic Canvas!!!

RIght now I'm making decorations for Valentine's Day. I can't find always the decorations in the stores. Making my own are extra fun and rewarding. I like making my own sayings too that one can't find at all in design books.

This craft is very portable, is not expensive and very easy to learn for all ages. I have enjoyed teaching middle schoolers the joy of plastic canvas. I hope this craft continues because it is very creative, low-cost materials and stirs the creative joy of crafting in special ways.

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  1:50:23 PM  Show Profile

There are still nice Plastic Canvas kits and free patterns that can be found. I like the Plastic Canvas kits offered by Mary Maxim and Herrschners.

Plastic Canvas lovers no longer have their own magazine like we did once upon a time. BUt there are still lovely patterns and Plastic Canvas books available.

You can make lovely package trims for gifts and to insert in a card for someone special.

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  2:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Glad we are on this topic again.
I have made enough tissue boxes to put one in each room. Love anything plastic canvas.
Does anyone else make things with plastic canvas? I've got books on fashion doll furniture and even a house for her.

Linda in Scranton, PA Farmgirl #71

The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.
--Hada Bejar
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  5:51:57 PM  Show Profile
I hope to learn how to use plastic canvas myself. I would love to learn how to make some of those wind whirly gigs..and then branch out with other things.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  8:40:52 PM  Show Profile

Very true Buffypuff...... a new year is always great to go beyond what we may have made in the past and think outside the box. Lots of people don't realize that you can do lots with plastic canvas and making windchimes and banners for your home and garden are simply fabulous and dandy ways to use your imagination and creativity to create some lovely creations that you and your family will be very proud of.

The world of plastic canvas, very much like the art world and the knitters and crocheter's world, has blossomed beyond the traditional that we have learned to expect with plastic canvas. This is indeed a good thing for plastic canvas..... it's like enjoying a new spin and a new dimension to this craft that truly is lots of fun and so easy to learn.

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  8:48:09 PM  Show Profile

Hello Yarnmamma,

I like making wall decorations and outdoor decorations for my home.

This includs flags out of plastic canvas and yard decorations too. This is especially nice in the springtime and the summer months. It makes a big difference in adding cheer to the yard.

You can also make nice cups and food for kids to play with. That's really fun too.

Just so much to love and enjoy with plastic canvas and so simple too in terms of the materials. I use the same yarns that I use for my knitting and crocheting. It's a good smart way to use up all those scraps of yarn from knitting and crocheting projects.

On gifts, I add special items the size of magnets. Only they are gift trims and not magnets. It really adds a personal touch to the gift. I am talking about birthday gifts, anniversaries, graduation, and of course Christmas time too.

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  08:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I made an American flag....authentic number of stripes and stars...it is the size of a large stiff canvas sheet. It was a nice adventure to make.

--Hada Bejar
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  10:19:55 AM  Show Profile
Haven't started yet, so many other things to do :) BUT I am going to start making a tissuebox cover soon, I have been checking out the net but not yet found a nice one, looking for a little romantic one or a shabby style lol ;)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on Jan 10 2011 10:28:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  1:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Yarnmamma, your flat sounds lovely. That's another fun part of plastic canvas that the plastic sheets come in different sizes and colors and shapes that are precut. I still like to cut my own shapes except for stars. Those large sheets that are extra stiff sure are nice to have.

What are you planning to make this year?

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  1:17:32 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy, I agree that there never seems enough hours in the day to do all the things we might want to do, which includes plastic canvas crafts. I think for me the hardest part about starting is just the time in the beginning to find the pattern or make my pattern and collecting my yarn. Once I start...... it's like a speedboat sailing in the ocean! Moves quickly and very fun to see it unfold before one's eyes! Very fun indeed. Hope you find just the pattern that you want for a tissuebox.

Is plastic canvas popular in the Netherlands and is it easy to get materials such as the plastic canvas sheets?

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
My friend and I are putting together a gift basket and I'm making an all white tissue box for it. It's design is a basket weave. The pure white looks nice.

--Hada Bejar
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  12:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Teresita, no it is not that popular here :( NO books, no nothing. I sometimes can find the little round PC pieces but not the bigger sheets. I still have one or 2 sheets that I bought in Canada eons ago .... but after they are used.... no idea duh. And yes I am still looking but am thinking about making my own pattern as i go :)

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  4:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy, then you can become your own designer and make some very lovely designs. As to the plastic canvas, how about in other countries in Europe like UK? That might work out for you.

Hugs!

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  11:11:18 PM  Show Profile
Teresita, yeah maybe :) OR if I ever go to the REAL big city here in the province I might be able to find some in a big craft store, who knows

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  08:45:40 AM  Show Profile
I think each craft has its own magic. Plastic Canvas often tends to be overlooked in the light of other fiber arts like knitting and crocheting. But Plastic Canvas does still use fiber as the main ingredient to create our masterpieces along with the canvas. I look at my projects as another way to express my creativity.

My father was a magnificent artist who used his canvas and his paints, even on the last day of his life on October 29th of 2003. I am my father's daughter who uses plastic canvas for my canvas and yarn to paint my canvas with my needle as my brush. It's all in adding beauty and creativity into our lives no matter how young or old we are or where we live in this world of ours.

There's always a way to enjoy the craft as long as there is that love within us for what we are doing.

Edited by - SantaTeresita on Jan 13 2011 08:46:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  09:00:55 AM  Show Profile
I agree whole-heartedly Teresita. ANY craft is a work of art no matter what medium is used. Most are made with love and care IMO. I do it all: sew, crochet, knit, embroider, paint, PC etc. and love it all as well

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:03:59 PM  Show Profile
I just went to check and see about Plastic Canvas Supplies in the UK.

http://www.craftdepot.co.uk/

Thought this might be of interest to you, Dutchy and any Farmgirls from around the world.

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy, here's something especially for you!
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/plastic-canvas.html" target="_blank"> br / http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/plastic-canvas.html

Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  11:11:58 PM  Show Profile
Have a favorite place for PLastic Canvas patterns and supplies in the U.S.?

I especially love Leisure Arts, Annie's Attic, and Mary Maxim for their kits. I love "House of WHite Birches" for their plastic canvas books.

Lots of lovely patterns and kits and plastic canvas supplies here.

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  05:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I like all of those places, but probably use Leisure Arts the most.
I have also swapped books for pattern books on paperbackswap. That's an idea you all could do too. I find cheap or free books and swap for another book.
check it out!
paperbackswap.com

--Hada Bejar

Edited by - yarnmamma on Jan 14 2011 05:21:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic plastic canvas anyone? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page