Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What to do with all these grapes?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with all these grapes????? Next Topic  

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  8:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Anyone know any easy grape jelly recipes? My grapevine is loaded down with Concord grapes and I've never really made them into anything! Any other suggestions would be good too! Thanks

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  8:31:08 PM  Show Profile
I make jam, syrup, wine and juice. I make the juice sort of concentrated and add a little water when we drink it. Its yummy.

I usually use the recipe on the box of pectin. Adding red chile peppers or cinnamon and spices is really good in grape jam!

I will be picking grapes soon too!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  9:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Super Easy Grape juice

In a 1 quart mason jar add two cups of whole unpeeled grapes (no stems) and 1 cup of sugar. Pour in boiling water to fill the jar with about 1 inch head space. Cover and process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Let the jar sit AT LEAST six weeks. Open and strain (you can pass through a food mill but it isnt necessary). Add 1 quart of fresh water for two quarts of grape juice.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  06:28:35 AM  Show Profile
We used to have some Concord grapes and I made the jelly recipe on the pectin box. I then would put the graopes through my Foley Mill so I would have no skins or seeds. It wasn't clear like jelly might be. Grape Jam I guess. I made tons of it every year. I made grape juice too. To this day my kids, nor I, like grape jam. Hmmmmmm!!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  06:45:59 AM  Show Profile
I cook my grapes in a large sauce pot with just enough water to keep them from burning until they release their own juice. Then I put them through the food mill to get all the juice and strain it through a double thickness cheesecloth. Then I freeze the juice for use during the year for syrup, jellies, slushies, etc. I do not add extra water to the juice to be frozen. If you are going to drink it in a slush or as a cold drink when thawed you can drink it straight or if too strong add water to your liking. Many people will add extra water to the juice for jellies and syrup. To me this weakens the flavor and produces an inferior product. I use the recipes in the Ball Blue book with one addition. I also add about a tablespoon of lemon juice to the juice just before cooking into jelly. You will be very surprised how it improves the flavor. If you do not have time to cook down the juice you can freeze the whole grape (no need to blanch) and at some other time take them out of the freeze straight into the sauce pan, add a small amount of water, cook on low with a cover on the pot to speed the thaw and continue as describe for obtaining juice.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  08:43:02 AM  Show Profile
Victoria, do I just wash them and put them on a sheet pan to freeze them? I think I might try that until I get all my stuff together to make jelly. Julie that sounds super easy! I think I may do that this afternoon!!! Thanks girls.

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  06:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I just got some fresh grapes from a friend yesterday and want to do the grape juice. But I don't want to have to add sugar. Is it neccesary to do that? These are super sweet all alone.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  06:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh what a blessing! I miss Concord Grapes! My Mom used to make Grape Jelly and Grape Juice. Yum! Enjoy Tammy :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  03:36:25 AM  Show Profile
I used to make the best jelly

Last year none sold

So this year I gave bunches of grapes away and left the rest for birds.

Pity, sice our vines were loaded for the first time too. Phooey

Thought about wine....might give this more thought and read up over the winter.

Tried juicing w/ just a food processor/juicer. It tasted ok but left a brown froth which reminded me of dirt too much.

Thanks for the recipe for good tastier juice!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  05:23:45 AM  Show Profile
I did my juice yesterday. Got 6 quarts. I can't wait to try it now. I did not put sugar in so I hope it will be good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  06:21:17 AM  Show Profile
My grapes are ready. I ate a bunch of them yesterday. I have to tell hubby he has some picking duty this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  9:15:47 PM  Show Profile
I haven't done it because I do not have access to grapes, but my mother used to can her grapes for later use. She made a grape pie that was delicious. Just be careful about storage. She once stored them in a cupboard not usually used, and forgot about them. One evening we heard a the sound of explosions in the kitchen. They had fermented and we had grapes all over the kitchen, from ceiling to clear across the room. We laughed about that one for years.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  06:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, that reminds me of a wine story about my mom. She and my dad were only married a short time and my dad the wine-maker was out of town when the wine needed to be bottled. Back in the old says they did the syphon the crock technique. Unfortunately, my mom was a very young bride and he didnt tell her about pinching the hose and moving to the next bottle. By the time it was all bottled, my mother was apparently quite drunk. My mother was practically a tee-totaler. My mom passed away ages ago and reading your post brought this to mind. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  6:55:01 PM  Show Profile
I'd make juice like the gal above. Stem and rinse grapes. Dump a cup of grapes and cup of sugar into a quart jar, top off with boiling water. My neighbor then lets the hot water seal them, but I just water bath can them for... something like 25 minutes or whatever it was I decided upon. Just dilute with water to your taste preferences (or use seltzer or whatnot if that's what floats your boat). Oh baby, yum. Good as juice, good as popsicles. But I also have a bunch of young kids. ;)

Oh, and you don't need to de-seed them - just dump the juice through a strainer as you crack open jars. Quick and easy to take care of a few gallons of grapes, that's for sure. As long as you have enough jars though...

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile
We had an abundance of grapes last week. I made jam and juice as described above. I did add a scant 1/2 cup sugar to the juice.
I still had a 5 gallon bucket of grapes left and had to use them quick. We decided to give grape syrup a whirl. It sure smelled good while cooking down and it looks very pretty in the jars. We got 5 quarts. I was tired of looking at grapes by then, so we haven't tried it yet, but hope to on pancakes this weekend.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  8:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Grape syrup is awesome. I am making some too.

You might also try pouring a shot into some club soda or seltzer water. Its like homemade grape soda.
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  6:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Last year I made grape jam from Concord grapes using Pamona's Pectin and honey. It was wonderful! It wasn't as sweet as when using sugar so you could really taste the grapes.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What to do with all these grapes????? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page