pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  1:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday after enjoying a ripe, juicy mango I decided to try and see if I could grow one. I live in FL so I hoping the climate here is fairly simpatico with mango growing..only time will tell. At any rate, I did some research online and finally decided after viewing several methods that I would pop the actual embryo looking seed out of the outer husky pit and try putting it directly into soil with the "hump" side up and about 1/4" out of the moist soil. I am keeping it out when sunny and allowing it to enjoy the warm (and not humid) weather we've been having. I plan on bringing it in at night when the temp cools off to keep it warm (as it is my understanding it prefers temps 70 degrees and warmer). Please let me know of your experience if anyone else has tried.
I'll let you know what happens!

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  4:35:12 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE mangos (mangoes?), but, living in Zone 5, I've never tried to grow one. I'm interested in what to do, however. They have such strange, large, flat pits. Let me know how it goes...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  8:53:07 PM  Show Profile
I love them too...but I am in the same area as Libbie..actually our valley we have to consider zone 4!! I would be really interested to see how it turns out too....maybe just an interesting houseplant would be fun, right? But..oh yum! If you get mangos..what a bonus!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  09:40:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm in zone 5/6 and I have an avocado plant going that I started from a pit about 2 years ago. It's a houseplant. It's not very big, but I like to see what I can grow. Maybe I'll try a mango in the future.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ever Grow a Mango from a Seed? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page