Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Do you have a really good pickle recipes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you have a really good pickle recipes Next Topic  

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile
I have just come home from our CSA with at least 30 pounds of organic pickling cukes and am not sure what to do with them. Seems over years passed we have not been happy with the recipes we used and do not want to use them now. Both my grandmother's were aces with their pickles but their recipes cards read where you would had to be with them to understand just what to do! I am wondering if anyone has a good reliable recipe for dill pickles and or bread and butter pickles. I would really appreciate your recipes and helpful hints.
Thanks - Karen

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  9:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Go to http://www.allrecipes.com and get the dill pickle recipe for Kosher dills. Just enter dill pickles in the search and it's the first one to come up. I make really bad dill pickles and tried these last year. They were wonderful!

I have a tried and true recipe for Bread and Butter Pickles too, if you'd like that. They are our favorites. Oh...well.....then there's the Virginia Chunk Sweet Pickles.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:00:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, we are sitting in the living room listening to Gaelic Storm with both of us "playing" on our laptops and my husband just found that dill recipe on allrecipes :-). Small world. Would love to have your recipes for both the bread and butter (my favorites) and virginia chunk sweet pickles (sounds interesting - like gherkins but cut big cukes?).
Thank you so much!

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  09:08:22 AM  Show Profile
First the Bread and Butter Pickles:

4 qts. sliced, unpeeled medium cucumbers
6 cups thinly sliced onion
2 cups thinly sliced green peppers
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup pickling salt
ice--takes quite a bit

Combine the cucumbers, onion, peppers, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Cover with ice cubes and mix well. Let stand for 3 hours; drain well and remove garlic.

Next: In a big stock pot or canner, combine and pour over cucumber mixture
5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed

Bring to boiling. Pack cucumbers and hot liquid into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process in water bath 5 minutes for half pint and pints.

This says it makes 8 pints. I think I only get 7.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  10:34:28 AM  Show Profile
Virginia Chunk Sweet Pickles---you might need a crock depending on how many cucumbers you use. I always use a crock.
Also, the original recipe uses alum but you can probably leave it out if you don't like to use alum. Some people avoid it. I've never tried it without the alum but did find another recipe that just uses boiling water without the alum in the Day 8 step.

Wash 75 cucumbers 3-4 inches long--I use whatever size I have. You cut these into chunks later so it really doesn't matter. Mix together 2 cups pickling salt and one gallon boiling water. Pour over the cucumbers in the crock. Put a plate on top of the cucumbers and weight it down with a quart jar filled with water to keep the cucumbers submerged. Cover with a towel. Check daily. You may need to skim if necessary. Let stand for one week.

Day 8: Drain well and pour over one gallon of fresh boiling water with 1 tablespoon powdered alum.
Let stand 24 hours.
Day 9: Drain and pour over one gallon fresh boiling water. Let stand 24 hours.
Day 10: Drain off water. Mix together and bring to a boil the following:
5 pints cider vinegar--this is an old recipe--10 cups
6 cups sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
10 sticks of cinnamon broken into about 1" chunks
Pour over cucumbers in crock. Make sure it is boiling hot.

Day 11, 12, 13: Pour off syrup into a big pan. Add 1 cup sugar(each day), bring liquid to a boil and pour over cucumbers.

On Day 14, remove the cinnamon sticks, put it all in a big pot, bring to a boil and put into hot jars. Make sure to cover cucumbers with hot syrup. Process in water bath 5 minutes. I do these in quarts and they don't last long. Two weeks is a long time but these are really worth the wait.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  5:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good "Refrigerator Dill Pickle" recipe? Also, after it cures for several days can you put it into jars and can it? Thanks

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Marcia - We made LOTS of pickles over the weekend! About 30 quarts worth along with 4 pints of blueberry jam and 4 quarts of tomato sauce. Thankfully the weekend weather was on the cool and cloudy side so we were not dealing with over heating the kitchen. We tried the allrecipe dils, your bread and butter pickles and if I get more pickles this friday we will try your "chunk" pickles. Thank you so, so much for typing in your recipes! I always feel hesitant to try canning recipes that no one comments on - like from a recipe book. Just cause it is published does not make it work for everyone in every kitchen. Thanks for your help.

Tina - I have a really good table (refrigerator) pickle recipe if you like creamy (mayo based). I know there are recipes that you make up and keep in the frig in canning jars but none that I know of can be made up as refrigerator pickles and then heat canned. Let me know if you would like the creamy table pickles - really good.

-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:40:38 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Karen. I hope you get to try the Virginia chunk pickles. They are SO good and well worth the two week wait.

I did a few more quarts of dill pickles and then canned peaches. I didn't have that planned but my Dad picked his peaches. The man grows incredible fruit of all kinds but then he was raised on a fruit ranch. Anyway....tonight we froze more corn. At least Tim helped me with that. Dontcha just love canning season ........

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you have a really good pickle recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page