RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:22:16 AM  Show Profile
Last fall I was gifted with a few sets of french linens that were brought to my town just after WWII. Oddly enough the french bride lived in the house I am in now! They have sat in a trunk for 10-20 years depending on who you talk to and they are quite dingy to say the least. They have the most beautiful cutwork and embroidery so I do not want to damage them in anyway. I have tried soaking in cool and hot water, oxiclean and Biz and hanging them on the clothes line so the sun could work on them a little...all to no avail. I believe they are cream colored not white and the body odor is rather strong in some of them. I am open to trying just about anything "safe" to be able to use them.

Karen

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:50:44 AM  Show Profile
Karen- Have you tried soaking them in cool water an vinegar? I don't know if it would change the color to white or not, but I know its almost sure fire for the body odor thing.
I hope it helps!
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  11:19:16 AM  Show Profile
I would think the odor is from being stored in the trunk, rather than body odor . . . . Nonetheless, I have had success in getting the musty smell out of old books by placing them in a lidded plastic container along with some charcoal, which absorbs odor, leaving them in for several weeks. Might be worth a try with linens.

And my method for getting stains out of old linens is to soak them in Oxiclean and then hang them up (or spread them on an old sheet) in the sun without rinsing. After that, I put them through a regular wash. Gets out many stains.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  11:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a blessing! I bet they sure are beautiful Karen.

I wish I knew what you could use. I agree with the charcoal for absorbing odors though. Maybe if you asked an Antique Dealer?

Okay, edited to add: Found these links:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2066633_care-antique-linens.html

http://antiques.about.com/cs/textiles/a/aa031900.htm

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Aug 21 2009 11:34:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile
You should email Miss Wilma through the forum...she is an antique textile expert and can probably help you with this. She would also know about smells, etc...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  12:12:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen, I restore antique quilts and have just the thing for you to use. See I told you you'd be hearing from me again soon. I will mail it out Monday.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - you gals are like a rapid response team. I just got back from picking 8 1/2 pounds of blueberries in the rain! Little chilled but okay and the berries are tasty. Making a batch of jam will warm me right up after walking the dog here shortly. The odor is definitely body odor as are most of the stains. I have not tried the vinegar though I read about it. Maybe give it a try this weekend. I did not think about hanging them up to dry outside with the oxiclean still on them??? I have 5 top sheets and two fitted and that is alot of linen to deal with...one sheet at a time. Thanks for the tip about Miss Wilma Jonni and Melody June you make me smile :-). I look forward to hearing your tips...restoring quilts...as my nephews would say "WAY COOL!".
Thanks ladies

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  3:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Karen, I leave the oxiclean on linens and put them in the sun. Then I do wash them, of course. And then hang them in the sun again!

Hope you find some answers -- do let us know if/when you find something that works for you.

And Melody June -- do share info -- what do you use?

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  6:04:33 PM  Show Profile
I found this on the internet:

The key to getting out stains and odors in vintage linens is numerous soakings. For many hours. And no dryers. Line dry or lay on a clean towel to dry. Here is a recipe for soak:

1 scoop Biz
1 scoop Oxyclean
3/4 cup Ammonia
1 gallon hot water

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile
I've always used Biz and Oxyclean on vintage linens. Check for dry rot first though. I learned that the hard way and had fabric disintegrate the minute it hit the water. I put everything in the washer, let it agitate very slowly, and then turn off. They soak for 24 hours. Then I drain the water and check the linens. If they need another soak then back in they go. You could also do this in a sink or a large bucket. Sometimes you can't get all the stains out and that's ok too. It gives the linens character!

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  5:00:57 PM  Show Profile
When I dried my old linens, some were doll dresses/clothes from the 40's. I stuffed them with paper towels and stood them up so they would dry without wrinkles and with some body to the shape.

Also, if you do put a cool iron to them, place them between layers of a towel, and iron on the towel surface, not directly on the linens.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Aug 22 2009 5:03:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  09:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday was a sunny day so I decided to take one sheet and run it through the rinse cycle and lay it on the grass. At the end of the day I put it back in the washer with half gallon of vinegar and 1/4 cup of washing soda. Oh my goodness!!! As soon as the soda hit the vinegar the bit of sheet sticking above the water line went a creamy white! I quickly smushed all the sheet under the water and let the machince and additives do their thing. The sheet is a beautiful bright creamy white and the embroidery shines. I am not sure it will work on all the sheets but it is a start. On the next sunny day I will try the next sheet and see how that goes.
Karen

-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

aurelie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

aurelie
vermilion ohio
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  2:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Try using Biz laundry booster. Martha Pullen specializes in antigue linens and swears by her "biz bucket" I tried it and it worked. soak linens overnight in a bucket with a scoop of biz dissolved in it. Dump it out in the morning and refill it. After several fillings rinse the linens in cool water and hang away from the sun. I put mine on a rack in the laundry room, sunlight fades any embroidery. After severl soaking my 100 year old christening gown came our white and without the yellow age stains. Lee
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Antique French Linens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page