Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Meats? Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Anybody can meats? I was thinking about trying it. We haven't got a freezer yet. My MIL cans her chickens, and I understand that you stew them first before canning, but I am unclear on the proper way to can beef or venison. Do you brown it first, or pack it raw? Does it need any liquid added, like a broth? Salt? Seasonings?

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile
You remove it from the bones cut into bite size chunks and brown it. Don't use flour or salt, just plain. You can make stock with the bones. You pack the chunks into the jar, pour stock over it and can according to the instructions. If you don't have good meat canning insructions email me your address and I will send you a copy of my booklet.

Smiles, Melody June

PS salt will turn it gray in the jar and flour, well you can imagine the gueeeee mess it would make in the jar with liquid.

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  07:45:54 AM  Show Profile
The booklet that came with my pressure canner says to process 90 minutes at 10 lbs. of pressure. It did specify not to use flour, but I didn't know about the salt issue. Thanks.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  09:09:47 AM  Show Profile
We can lots of chicken and it's wonderful to have it on hand, cooked and ready to use. We also can venison, and I much prefer the taste of canned venison to regular. I boil it in water first then pack it in jars rather than browning it.
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Right now I have salmon and chicken. I think that venison is really good canned. I also add potatoes and carrots to it and make a stew. I make bean soup with ham hocks and can that also. Very handy to have on hand.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:30:53 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine cans catfish. And she use it just like tuna or salmon. And I have eaten her baked salmon (catfish)loaf and it is very good. So I know it can be done. Have not done it myself. And there is a neighbor lady that frys sausage down and cans that. I know it is completely cooked cause she says it is a quick meal cause all you have to do is warm it up. Maybe a google search will lead you to some good instructions.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I just canned 6 qts. of chili this morning. Really good to have on hand when we're too tired to cook.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  4:26:27 PM  Show Profile
I've been canning chicken, but I find it is overcooked by the time I cook it then process it for the 90 minutes. Anysuggestions?

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Meats? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page