Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 My 'Antique' Finds today...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My 'Antique' Finds today... Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  8:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I can't do pics cuz I'm on dial-up but if you can imagine in your mind, I got TWO Singer treadle sewing machine bottoms that were both made into two nice tables. One has the treadle and everything, just not the sewing machine. It's painted black. The other one is the stand part with the table top and it's silver, but not for long. Will be black tomorrow!

Got the NEATEST dresser for our bedroom! Hubby used to be in the funiture biz and says the screws that are in it (to hold the mirror on) are at least 60 years old. Yay!!!

Then we got a bedstead that is OLD but in great shape. I talked her down $25, yay again!! It has a lot of the old curley-que stuff and it's metal.

Bought a box spring cuz we'd been sleeping on our Beauty Rest on the floor. I couldn't believe the difference when I laid on the bed!

Also, got a 4 tiered shelf thingy that is big at the bottom and tapers to the top shelf. Looks like Cherry wood and looks great against the Whispering Wheat color of the dining room.

Found oodles more stuff but will have to wait another month and let some paychecks go into the account. Mac and cheese might be on the menu for a little while. A strange thing, after doing some footwork, I found that the antique mall prices were actually LOWER than Goodwill's!! Isn't that strange???

But I feel these things can be passed down to my kids and grandkids since I don't have anything left from my divorce (ex-hubby destroyed everything I had that I couldn't take in one load).

Anyway, just had to BRAG!!!

Winona

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  8:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Brag on!! What really great finds. I wish I could see the shelf thingy. I love thingies! LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  9:18:12 PM  Show Profile
I also have found Goodwill and Salvation Armys prices to be very high. I guess they think that people will pay the price because of who they are, but most won't .

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  12:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I think many of the thrift stores raised prices once ebay really took hold and people were buying from them and reselling on ebay. Guess they figure they might as well make the money than someone else. I did get a great buy on some furniture a few yrs. back. I walked in and saw a chest of drawers and a matching dresser with a mirror that just looked stunning. The patterns in the drawers were very artsy and they were blond 50's furniture in excellent condition. $25.00 each. I snapped them up without even being able to really check them out well as they were crowded into the section and people milling around. Got them home and found out they were Heywood Wakefield and designed by a German designer in 1958 and part of a very collectible line of theirs. To say I was thrilled was an understatement but they're not going anywhere. They're probably the only pieces of designer furniture I'll ever own.
Congrats on your thrifty finds! It feels soooooo good when you score doesn't it?

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Tapestry on Aug 21 2009 12:31:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  06:56:13 AM  Show Profile
You certainly got your "makin' deals" groove on, girl! I'm doing the happy dance in my office chair for you right now.... uh-huh, uh-huh, yeeeah! Now I am itching to go out thrifting and shopping and yard saleing, but I have to wait for Monday for paychecks, too. Virtual High-five, Cheryl!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  05:54:12 AM  Show Profile
...........I mean, Winona. I got carried away there, and "high-fived" the wrong poster..... teehee

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  08:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hooray for you, Winona! And I agree with Teresa, especially concerning Goodwill stores both in Ky and Indiana. I even get email updates from the online version of Goodwill(they do auctions online, like ebay)! As my grandma used to say: "They're as high as a cat's back!" LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Good for you on those finds! WOW! Isn't it cool when you find some sweet deals?

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My 'Antique' Finds today... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page