CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  08:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Last week-end, I was on subdivision duty, and while cruising through the neighborhood, I noticed this little min-pin chihuahua puppy laying on a drive-way. He looked kind of strange, laying there. I went up the road, turned around and came back. I sat there in my car for several minutes on the road, studying the little fella. I was trying to determine if he was breathing or not. I couldn't really tell, so I pulled down in the drive-way.

This is a garage basement house with a thru-door between the roll-up garage doors. One of the garage doors was raised about 6 inches. The little fella was on a cable and it looked like he had run in the open door and out the other door where it had been closed on his cable. There was only about 3 feet of cable, not enough for him to get back inside the open door, out of the heat, and not enough to reach his water bowl. It looked like the owner's had backed out of the garage and closed the door on the cable and didn't take a second to check to see if he was okay or not. The little fella was dead.

It absolutely broke my heart and made me mad enough to spit nails. I have a min-pin chihuahua and it looked like my little dog laying there. I called animal control and had to leave a message. Several hours later, a police officer called me. He went out to the home, but the owners weren't home yet. He left a note for them. I don't know what ended up happening, but I'll be outraged if the owner's weren't fined in some way. This was a senseless, unnecessary death. But it was a reminder to me as a pet owner to always double-check my four-legged babies before I leave home.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  08:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Cherry~ How sad!

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  08:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Cherry,

That is so sad! I always make sure my dog and both of my cats have fresh water, enough food and that they are safe and comfortable in the house before I go anywhere--even if I am only gone for a few minutes because you just never know what is going to happen.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  08:40:28 AM  Show Profile
That's so sad. People are in such a hurry now...poor little guy, that's just awful. We have 4 large dogs and 2 cats, who are all inside during the day, sleeping on their eqyptian rug, water whenever they choose. I just wish people had more sense!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  08:54:02 AM  Show Profile
Cherry, I am so sorry that happened and that you had to see that. I only hope those awful people don't have kids that would have to see it when they got home. And I do hope they were fined for animal cruelty. You were right in calling.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile
Now I'm MAD! how senseless! That is just so sad. My dogs and cats have plenty of water and a couple of fans left on to keep the house from becoming too horrid. I had to go hug all of my pets after reading this
I'm so sorry that you had to find this poor little guy this way. I hope that the owners are fined and charged with animal cruelty!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  10:48:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm crying!!! Some people should not have dogs!!!!

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile
Very sad. But I have to say, my first response is not to think what awful people his family must be, but instead to think how easy it would be for me to do something similar.

Honestly, I've left my iron turned on, my debit card in the atm, my keys dangling in the front door lock overnight, the stove burner turned on under an empty pot. All in the last 3 months. I'm not a bad person, but I'm busy and stressed out, and sometimes overtired and not feeling well on top of that.

My husband has a ritual of calling our cat, giving him a special treat, and petting him before leaving the house. He does this every morning, and it's so he knows exactly where the cat is when he goes out the door - at the food dish in the kitchen, far away from the door. I get annoyed when it makes us late for work, and I've called him paranoid in the past, but in light of this story I guess it's a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  12:32:13 PM  Show Profile
This was such a senseless death, why in the world was this poor dog on a cable to begin with, I thought it was against the law every where now to tie your dog up, with rope, chain or cable. I've said it before and I will continue to say it, at least 85% of the people in this country should never, ever have any kind of pet.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  1:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a sad sad ending for the poor guy. No one deserves that kind of death.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  4:48:56 PM  Show Profile
That is so, so sad. The poor dog.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  5:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
How sad :( I don't understand people who go away and leave their animals tied outside. If they have toileting problems you can always keep them caged in a large pet cage size appropriate with access to food and water during the time you have to be gone. They make puppy pads to place inside for puppy to use for toileting too. So many other options to keep a sweet and loved pet safe including doggy daycare. I would imagine they will face charges and they deserve them.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  05:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Poor little dog

BAD, BAD people!

That's a very crappy way to go

My chickens get better treatment than this!

I hope the people feel terrible, but I suspect not nearly as badly as we do

Thanks for at least trying to be a decent good samaritin
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  09:10:24 AM  Show Profile
Cherry:
So sad.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A Sad Reminder for Us All Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page