Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Treadle Sewing Machines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Treadle Sewing Machines Next Topic  

huberjk
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Joyce
Ste Genevieve MO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  05:49:22 AM  Show Profile
What should use to clean the Treadle Sewing Machine that I just purchased at my uncle's estate sale. It's over a 100 years (1903 machine). I intend to clean it, oil it, buy a new belt and try and sew on it. Can anyone tell me if this machine should have a tension cover?

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  4:03:17 PM  Show Profile
You are a lucky girl! I know nothing about them, but it is one of the things I want! Call your local vaccum/sewing machine repair place, that might be a great source of info. I have thought about converting mine to treadle, just looked too hard. Good luck.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  4:38:56 PM  Show Profile
The Amish girls in N.E. Iowa are changing older machines into treadle machines. Some machines have the fancy stitches and embroidery that they can't get on the old treadle types.
I have two treadle machines. I know one workds . When I picked it up she had just repaired a pair of blue jeans on it the day before. The other was my grandmothers and the fire fighters put an axe through the box cover on it, but I kept it anyway.
Wish you all the best. I understand it is very peaceful to use a treadle machine.
Also, check ebay for parts. There was someone on there parting out a few machines.
Enjoy.
WENDE
sister #660

You know your a Farm Girl when...
Go to Top of Page

Rodeorise
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Rise
Brighton Mi
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  07:53:58 AM  Show Profile
I have had several treadle machines. You should see a few holes that are on the machine. They are in obvious places that you would think need oil on the inside(by the wheel, or bobbin holder), just add a drop of oil in the hole & let it sit. New belts can be purchased at most Vacuum Cleaner repair stores. If your machine is a Singer or White you should be able to find a serial number on the machine, then you can log on to the Singer Sewing Machine website & find out the make model & year it was made. Good luck I love all of mine, one was my Great Aunt Lucille's, the others were just spectacular yard sale finds.

Farmgirls for Peace
www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  5:35:24 PM  Show Profile
There is a wonderful thread on the care of the treadles but I'm not sure where it is.
will try to find it for you.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  5:38:55 PM  Show Profile
Here it is
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13263

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Treadle Sewing Machines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page