Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Haven't Been Here In Awhile
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Haven't Been Here In Awhile Next Topic  

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  2:44:51 PM  Show Profile
I've been facebookin' it, but not really spending any other time on the computer. Especially here. I feel like such a farmgirl failure!

I killed a tree.

I'm so upset over that, still, even though I saved the other two birches. We were watering them too often and not deep enough, and they were going into heat shock (110 here today as I type!), but I got some good advice from the garden club at Home Depot and hopefully the other two will survive. It still pains me to see that blank spot in the yard.

I was able to figure out what's happened to my vegetable garden. I planted over 50 carrot seeds and have only 5 now. I could not figure out what happened! But careful investigation has indicated CATS digging in my garden box. The same CATS that have killed some of my hummingbirds, peed all over my strawberries, dug up all of the lettuce and most of the sunflower seeds, etc...Hubby will put an end to the CATS but I won't tell you how.

The good news is that I have about 10 mammoth sunflowers reaching the top of the fence, all my cosmos and marigolds are gorgeous, I moved the feeder and now get at least a dozen hummingbirds at one time all day long, and my lone Grevillea tree is doing great.

I've tried two recipes from MJF magazine and the family didn't like them (brats!), but I did 'country-fy' my modern kitchen by painting it brick red (that they did like!). So my attemps at being a farmgirl in the suburbs haven't gone well and I've been too busy and bummed to share until now. It's been a fun summer but today all the kids are in school and I'm ready for some ME time! Now I'm off to catch up on posts...

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  2:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back Leslie!!

You aren't a farmgirl failure! We all have our ups and downs, successes and learning experiences. I bet your sunflowers look great!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  3:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Leslie, no worries, I haven't been on in quite some time, either. Summer is sometimes like that. Sounds like you've been busy!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  5:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee & Zan!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  11:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Leslie and wb! Sorry about your tree dying but pat yourself on the back for saving 2 others. Dreadful about your poor garden and shame on those darned cats! I love cats but my 3 stay inside cuz I love birds too and would hate for my cats to kill any. Plus if they dug up my garden they'd be stir fry....laffin'
Your kitchen sounds soooo pretty! You've been a busy gal!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Haven't Been Here In Awhile Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page