kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  11:03:44 AM  Show Profile
Well, I just pulled all my Silver Queen corn yesterday. I got my daughter to help shuck 4 dozen for a friend who wanted some but is on vacation this week. So I thought I'd go ahead and put some up for her. Got it all off the cobs and in a bog pot to do after dinner and I forgot all about it. This morning I went in the kitchen to get coffee and there sat the pot on the counter. Already soured. I am so upset. Almost cried. The chickens had a nice lunch.

So I just did 4 more and they are in the sink now ready to wash and cook up. I hope I don't forget these. I love cutting corn off the cob. Reminds me of my grandma.

When my kids were little I made corn shuck dolls for them. Has anyone else ever done that? I got it out of the Foxfire books. Are there other things you have made with the shucks? I gave all these to my goats. They love them.

Anyone canning or freezing corn?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  1:01:02 PM  Show Profile
I never have any luck with corn. We eat it straight away. I would have frozen some, but we don't exactly have a freezer at the moment..... and I won't can it anymore. I think horses eat shucks too.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  1:06:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm freezing corn. It is so easy. I thought you always had to blanch it before freezing but I saw on a Martha Stewart show that she just cut it off the cobbs and froze it. I did it last year and it was fine. I put it in ziploc bags and sqeezed the air out and it tasted fresh even after being in the freezer several months. I'm doing it again this year.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  1:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had looked here sooner, I would have tried it that way. I always hate to turn on the stove when it's so hot already. I'll do that next time. If Martha does it that way, I'm sure it works! Thanks.

I have never canned corn because it takes an hour and a half to process it. All that time and effort I'm sure some of them would break in the canner. So I just freeze it. Much easier.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  2:37:26 PM  Show Profile
That's a bummer. Worse than me leaving egg salad on the counter while the family went to see a movie. I felt very guilty going out to the hen house the next day. At least your girls got a good lunch that will produce some yummy eggs for you!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  6:48:42 PM  Show Profile
I would have hung my head in shame, too! Oh my. And I just used my last 5 eggs this morning for breakfast. I ran up the road (really drove real fast!) to the egg ladies house and she had none, too. I was very sad to say the least. So had to go buy eggs at the store. Gasp, choke, ugh! I have not done that in so long. But my 2 faithful hens, Hildi and Summer, had 3 surprises for me later. I say 3 because I know I checked for eggs yesterday and only found one. But today there were 2 from Summer and one from Hildi. Summer is a Welsummer and lays almost red eggs and Hildi is Americana and lays green eggs. Anyway, whatever, I am happy to have 3 good eggs now.

I did get 5 bags of corn in the freezer tonight. So it's not too bad. And the chickens did have a good meal.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  7:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Gee Kristin, you missed your chance to make some good moonshine!!

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Aug 19 2009 7:35:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  9:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Kristin: We freeze a lot of corn. We just put it in bags and fill the freezer; along with tons of red raspberries, beans, beets, peas, whatever is due next. However I do can some things. I make green tomato relish. Green tomatoes (no half-way red ones), onions, red and green peppers, vinegar, sugar, celery seed and dill seed.

Try freezing. It works and is fast

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  03:20:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad I checked this post! Hubby & I were just talking about corn last night as we slathered on more butter
So, I don't need to blanche or anything huh? Just shuck, cut off the corn and freeze.
It has been stinkin' hot and humid this week and I just could not bring myself to boil water to do the corn and now I don't have too!!!
Yippeee!

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  04:58:53 AM  Show Profile
I did think about the moonshine! Man that stuff sours overnight. I'd love to try but would probably blow the house up for sure!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  05:59:09 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I am learning something today! I guess you are saying they make moonshine from CORN!! I didn't know that and I live in Moonshine country!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  06:52:28 AM  Show Profile
We got our sweet corn in late this year so I do believe this weekend will be our turn to freeze corn. We boil ours outside in our turkey fryer. Then throw it in Rubbermaid totes filled with cold water. Then take it in the house to cut it off. Eliminates heating up the kitchen. My MIL cuts hers off raw and puts it in a roaster with butter and half&half. She puts it in a 200 degree oven for an hour and a half stirring it every 15 minutes. We supply the corn and she makes us a batch of it. It is pretty yummy. Kris, let us know how your moonshine turns out.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  09:13:59 AM  Show Profile
I froze some corn the other night, too. We've always just cut it off the cob, in a "3-layer" cut, and filled freezer bags with it and put it in the freezer. No blanching or anything, like with greenbeans. And fresh cut corn cobs are great for babies to teeth on. I have door-step cousins and for 4 summers straight there was a teething baby crawling around on a quilt, dragging a corn cob teether while my grandmother, mama, aunt, and I cut the corn.

And Gena, a lot of folks don't know that moonshine's made from corn. We have a little craft fair here twice a year called Homestead Hollow. There are replicate buildings and people demonstrating blacksmithing, quilting, soap and candle making, etc. Before he passed away, my great-uncle was the moonshine making demonstrator for several years!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

www.cherrymedarlin.etsy.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  09:18:16 AM  Show Profile
I guess that's where sour mash comes from. It did smell alcoholy. But you have to have all those tubes and fire and runoff things and of course some ole hillbillies and hound dogs! I have only had moonshine once and I don't remember too awful much about it except it burned going down!

Toby, that sounds good the way MIL does it. Aren't they so neat how they do things? Mine taught me all I know about cooking and canning and all that. I miss her so much. She was a great lady.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ah, Shucks! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page