westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:14:35 PM  Show Profile
just wondered if anyone knew about this practice or ever tried it. Im thinking of it. My ear & sinus' are blocked. I dont want antibiotics & was thinking about it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile
A lady who used to be an teacher's aid where I work had it done, and she said it worked wonderfully.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Michele,

I've had my ears candled and learned how to do it as well. I taught my husband how to do it to me (its a little hard to do it to yourself, tho not impossible!)
I don't know how it will work for getting sinuses unblocked, but if you have stuffy ears or a lot of wax, it will help. It creates a gentle suction and pulls the crud out. It is also slightly warming. I usually put a little olive oil in the ear before I start.
I candle when my allergies act up and my ears get that stuffy feeling. Also, because I have psoriasis, a lot of 'flakes' get in my ear canal. Candling gets that out as well.
I'm not giving you medical advice, but if you think you have an ear infection and/or are running a temperature, I'd see some sort of medical practitioner. I understand chiropractors can do a lot to help with sinuses without drugs.
Good luck!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  07:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Jana, I did talk to my chiropractor. I dont have any infection just blocked up & I realy want to try it. I read that it helps w/ sinus problems as well. I dont have a problem w/ chiropractors except I can never relax enough for them to do their thing, its a control thing I guess. Knowing someone is going to snap my body part is a bit weird for me. Im going to my health food store later to look. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  09:29:57 AM  Show Profile
We use ear candles and they are wonderful!!! They do help sinus some.
I also recommend reflexology and tell them you have sinus problems.
They massage your face and sinuses. It is wonderful

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  4:04:26 PM  Show Profile
I have used ear candles also, but I used them form clogged ears - too much wax. And they definitely seemed to help. I would recommend doing it with a partner though.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile
In my former life...the one I had before becoming a gentlewoman farmer I was an Audiologist in private practice..I would be happy to give you all kinds of anatomical explanation for the effectiveness and noneffectiveness of ear candles if you like, especially as they pertain to specific medical conditions. I will spare you the 'read' if no one is interested. I will say, if you are interested in pursuing them, by all means do so..with someone please!!blessings, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  7:37:58 PM  Show Profile
julia I'd love to know. Thank you. Michele

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  2:33:53 PM  Show Profile
++++LONG READ ALERT++++++++

The basic idea for ear candling is creating a vacuum in the ear canal to draw up and out ear wax. Ear wax serves a vital function in the ear canal by keeping it lubricated, which decreases itchiness and also keep insects from staying where they are not welcome! Ear wax produces an odor that bugs don't like and they also don't like the fact that it's sticky. Otherwise, the ear canal would be a perfect breeding home for all kinds of creepy crawlies!

With ear candles, the opening to the ear canal is sealed off and by lighting the candle, the amount of air pressure changes thus creating a vacuum. The suction of the vacuum, however, is minimal at best. The ear wax that is drawn using a candle is usually what is referred to as 'surface' wax. This is ear wax well on its way out of the ear canal pretty much on its own. The ear canal is lined with silia (hairs) that help move the wax from farther down in the ear near the ear drum to the ear canal opening. It is an extremely effective system. So the candles tend to draw up that wax as well as having wax stick to it by virture of it being inserted in the ear canal in the first place. This is analogous to using a q-tip..

Many older people, as part of the normal aging process produce a lot more ear wax. This is especially true if they wear hearing aids. I would never advise them to use q-tips or ear candles, because the wax they produce tends to get easily compacted way in the ear canal. Candles and q-tips are notorious for pushing wax farther down in the ear canal than actually scooping it out. I can't tell you how many times a day a patient would come in complaining that their ears felt 'plugged' and they would have this hard packed ear wax way down in the canal. I had all kinds of special tools designed specifically for cleaning ears, (most of them look like little spoons!) including a water/vacuum device. This isn't something they could feel using their finger or a q-tip either, because the ear canal is designed with a very special trigger that let's the individual know that something is way too far in the ear..it is the cough/gag reflex that we've all experienced if we've put a q-tip in our ears a little too far..we cough! That's the ear canal saying, "hey, you're getting kind of close to the ear drum...back off!" Still, if you use q-tips regularly, eventually some of that wax will get stuck and packed way down in there and believe me when I say that no amount of candling will get that out.

Now, in terms of using ear candles when you have a head cold and you're ears feel plugged up that's a COMPLETELY different thing. Now we're talking anatomy. The process of hearing is complex and requires 3 very different parts to the ear; each of which have vastly different functions.

The Outer Ear: is what we see and decorate with earrings and glasses. It also includes the ear canal, which I've already discussed. Sound is funneled into the ear canal and concentrated there.

The Middle Ear: consists of the eardrum and 3 tiny bones connected to it and each other and works like a pump. (This is the area we will discuss in detail)

The Inner Ear: is well embedded in the hardest part of the skull. It looks like a spiral sea shell. It is fluid filled and lined with millions of hair cells. This is the organ that changes the sound from something mechanical (the middle ear pumping the sound) to something hydro-electrical. This is then transmitted along the auditory (hearing) nerve to the brain so the brain can interpret the sound.

This is how we hear! Amazing...

Now, the middle ear is set up in a small air-filled space that is connected to the nasal area by way of a small tube called the "eustachian tube", which is normally closed. This is the pressure valve of the ear system. So for example, if you've ever flown on an airplane and your ears plug up, what's happening is that the air pressure in the airplane cabin is different than the air pressure that you left in the airport that is still in that little space of your middle ear. Your eardrum gets sucked in a little and your hearing gets all muffled and you feel plugged up. Your natural instinct is to either; yawn, open your mouth wide, chew gum, or plug your nose and try blowing through your nose. All of these are incredibly effective at doing the same thing. When you open your mouth wide, you force the eustachian tube to open. This allows air to travel into that middle ear space and change the air pressure in there to that that is inside the airplane. Sometimes if you hear a "pop" that is eardrum moving back into its normal resting place! Cool huh?

When you have a cold your sinuses swell. Sinuses are pockets of normally empty space on either side of your nose and near your eyebrows. The lining of those pockets swell and create fluid. You feel stuffed and have pressure behind your face and your eyes. All perfectly normal. This swelling puts pressure on the eustachian tube, which means that it can't open and close normally. Something it does every time you talk, yawn, laugh, and open your mouth in general. It is constantly keeping that pressure inside our heads equally to our outside surroundings. But with a head cold, everything is swollen and not functioning properly. So pressure builds in that middle ear space, the ear drum gets sucked back in and depending on the severity, you can have fluid building up in there called an "ear-infection"..That's another topic altogether!

So, you try to 'pop' your ears when you have a head cold and sometimes it works and sometimes not. Ear candling by virtue of creating a vacuum ought to help draw the eardrum back to its normal resting position and relieve you of feeling plugged. This is true only in really mild cases. When you are sick and your sinuses are truly plugged up the body does a remarkable way of taking care of itself. Over-the-counter meds are very helpful as are many herbal remedies...those focusing on drying up the sinuses, etc.

So, in short and generally speaking; when you're ears feel plugged due to ear wax, this is a physical phenomenon isolated only to the outer ear. When you are feeling plugged up and have cold symptoms, this is an anatomical phenomenon isolated to the middle ear system.

From a practical and anatomical perspective, ear candles are really only designed to address the outer ear. I wouldn't advise using them when you have a cold..You can certainly experiment but I wouldn't expect you to have any more success with them than what the body will naturally do on its own.

Gosh, I haven't spoken Audiology-speak in a long, long time! Amazing I still have it in me! That's what 8 years of college and graduate school will do to you! I hope this was helpful and interesting.. By all means fire off any questions or comments..
Many warm smiles, Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile
julia, thanks so much. I dont know if I want to do it now because its deep. It sometimes throws my equelibrium(spell??) off. I am not at all sure now how a chiropractor would help. I used to use garlic oil when my ears were bothering me, it's ALL from my terrible sinus problem. I don't want to use q-tips anymore but when they start itching, I go mining! What type of DR. or holistic Dr. would you sugest?? Thanks

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  5:15:58 PM  Show Profile
It really sounds like you may have several things going on that are related with your sinus issues. With respect to going mining when your ears itch. I laughed and laughed.. I hadn't heard that one before! I use q-tips once in awhile especially after a shower..no real harm done, just know that as you age it may become more of an issue..
With respect to your equilibrium..that's a non-specific complaint. But I can tell you that the organ that controls your equilibrium or balance is called the 'vestibular system' and its connected to your inner ear! Amazing how its all connected, isn't it?! It could be related to a sinus infection or could be something entirely different like an infection of the vestibular system called, 'labrynthitis'. Now this is something WAY more severe than just feeling a little off balance. Usually people feel and see as if they are spinning uncontrollably. It makes most people terrible sick...vomitting, etc. and most people end up in the ER. I hope this is not what you are experiencing and if you are a doctor is recommended asap!
In terms of what kind of doctor to see. Honestly, I am trained in Western Medicine so that's where my bias lies. I don't know many holisitc approaches but would certainly encourage you to seek them out if you feel more comfortable there. So much of healing is where and how the mind, body and spirit align. The kind of conventional kind of doctor you would want to see is an ENT (EAR NOSE THROAT) doctor. You may need a referral from your regular doctor. ENTs are by far some of the elite in the medical training world. They are highly, highly trained surgeons/physicians and represent probably the top 5% of medical school graduates. Most of them I have worked with over the years have been exceptional, but there have been a few totally lacking in bed-side manners and people skills in general. It certainly wouldn't hurt for you to seek a consultation and have some kind of baseline exam performed.
Best of luck to you and thanks for the question..keep me posted!
graciously, Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  8:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Julia - I'm not having any ear issues at the present time, but thank you for your information! I read all of it, and it's all so interesting how we're put together, isn't it. Very cool. Thank you for sharing your expertise with all of us.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  10:30:44 PM  Show Profile
I found it really interesting too! You explained it really well! It is so nice to have someone who knows how ears work actaully explain them.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  04:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Julia - it was very interesting to read the info above. You are really knowledgable! Thank you! Here is another question - what can cause ringing in the ears on a constant basis? Sometimes when all is really quiet, and other times even when there is noise, I can detect a ringing sensation in both of my ears.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  10:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julia, thnakfully Im not spinning out of control yet. But I am calling my Dr. on Mon. just talk w/ him & possibly make an apt. w/ an ENT Dr. I just want to hear well again. Hate this constant filled up feeling all the time in my ears & head. You are extremely knowledgable and I thank you very much. Michele

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2006 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, be careful with all your compliments...I may get a big head!! Truly, thank you and I was delighted to write a summary.. There are so many days where I question whether or not I'm speaking in complete sentences so this tapped a rather dormant aspect of me. Thank you!

jpbluesky, here's the skinny on ringing in the ears: It is called 'Tinnitus' and is a very common phenomenon especially if you have been exposed to noise in your life. It is a sign, however, that the ear is not in perfect health, particularly if it is a constant kind of thing. It is usually the first thing a person notices before hearing loss actually sets in.
Many of us farmgirls have been or currently are around an awful lot of noise: tractors, tillers, lawn mowers, weed whackers and all kinds of power equipment and weapons. These are all very hazardous to our hearing if we don't use ear protection.
What happens is the noise is at a level so loud that those little hairs I was talking about in the Inner Ear (the spiral sea shell shaped organ in the skull), slowly die. They can't deal with the constantly pounding of that kind of noise. It a lot like imagining if you pour a bucket of water on your grass over and over and over and over again, pretty soon the blades of grass will just keel over and perhaps even die. The hairs in your inner ear function very similarly. With noise exposure, the just get pummeled and over time they lie down and die. One of the signs of the dying process is a high pitched ringing in the ears. Some people describe it as crickets, frogs chirping, ringing, whistling and hissing. its all the same thing, though. We tend not to hear it so loudly during the day because there is so much noise around us drowning it out. Its only when its quiet, like when we're trying to sleep that the ringing seems really loud. The noise that we hear every day is called, 'ambient noise'. This is the everyday stuff we don't even think about; the heater kicking on, the sizzle of logs in the fireplace, the dishwasher running, the radio, the televsion, the creaking floors, etc. etc.. These noise tend to 'mask' or cover up the ringing in our heads.
Often, people with ringing will have some degree of hearing loss. Usually it is isolated to high tones, but these tones are the very sounds that make speech understandable. So we have all known someone who can hear that we are talking but they don't understand what is being said or they misunderstand completely. This is high pitch hearling loss and it is the most common kind of hearing loss as a process of aging. Many people notice its first signs when talking on the phone or trying to have a conversation in the car. The phone is a great example because 90% of the time or more people with hearing loss will say, "Geez, this phone is broken..or gosh, everyone mumbles these days!" classic! I heard that story and many other versions every single day at work!
The only preventitive thing to do at this point would be to invest in some really high quality ear muffs whenever you are working around any kind of noise.

I'll also add that ringing can occur with certain kinds of medication. I know from my experience that if I take the recommended dose of say, Day-Quil, my ears ring like crazy! This is a wonderful trigger that the body sets off suggesting the body may have more of the med than it needs!

I hope this answered your question..Keep them coming! I love it!
I'm cutting patterns today so this is a wonderful diversion!
cheers, Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  04:33:16 AM  Show Profile
Julia thanks for the accurate information. I think sometimes the whole holistic thing, which I have jumped on and off the train before and back again, can be carried away with misinformation. My husband is a doctor so I usually find out right away that the information I have received has no basis in science or that the body part they are talking about does'nt even work that way.

When he was a resident we met another Doctor to be who was going to med school for that specific reason: So that she could be a Holistic Doctor with the full knowledge of being a real doctor. Doctors have 4 years of undergraduate education in Science and 4 years of Medical Education followed by 3-6 years of residency. That is a crap load of knowledge your homeopath may or may not have. One should always keep that in mind when shopping for a homeopathic physician. All of my relatives in Europe are practicing homeopathic medicine and have been for 40-50 years, alot longer than it has been popular here. Their Homeopaths seem more professional with large offices etc. it is much more mainstream.

I do not find the candling works at all at least for my family, everyone is different.

Good luck, I have an extreme I reach then I lose it and grap the antihistimine.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  05:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Julia! Your comment about Day-quil causing ringing in your ears triggered another thought in my mind. Can ringing be related to alcohol in your body? I know there is a certain amount in the liquid cold and sinus meds, isn't there? I drink a glass of wine many nights while I am cooking dinner (confession time) and could that be a cause?

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 06 2006 05:49:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  06:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Sure, alcohol can also do this but it usually depends on other factors that are going on simultaneously in the body, for example hydration. I know that when I drink red wine, my ears can ring occasionally but I rarely have that problem with white wine. I suspect that has something to do with the wine itself and how my body processes it! If you are taking a medication regularly that may also be a factor. Depending on the medication there is a side effect called "ototoxicity" and that simply means toxic to the ear. Again, the first sign that the ear is reaching a toxic level is ringing! Glad this was interesting for you. I've always been fascinated with it!
Happy today! Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  07:04:05 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, you are so right that there is so much misinformation out there. I am glad that western medicine is really beginning to consider the ancient ways of the east. I think Andrew Weil, MD has done a great service in this regard by considering the mind body and spirit. My husband is a psychiatrist with a PhD in pharmacology as well and he knows full well that when the mind is ill the body is too! Its such a fascinating science!
You know, like so many things out there are incredible holistic physicians and rotten ones, likewise with MDs. I think we as consumers elevate these people to the point that we oppress ourselves by believing whatever they say must be truth. We never question them and when we do we feel it as some kind of betrayal. I think its madness and I'm happy that more and more consumers are educating themselves with the internet and questioning not the physcian per se but the process of medicine, science and healing. People are starting to become active participants in the their healing. This is an enormous shift and a good one! thanks for the post, you really brought up such a great point!
Warmly, Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I have a hardtime keeping my mouth shut on either end because of all the misinformation. I will be at a party and hear how someone's homeopath gave a certain medication for a sore throat which happened to be on the left side of the body and would give them a totally different medication if it had been on the right.
Or I will listen to a very ill person tell me how they are going through keylation therapy by a physician to cleanse their body of heavy metals, quackery which is being watched nationally by States Attorney Generals, beware. These people are losing their life savings to these quacks.
As much great information that is on the internet, it is also the biggest perpetuator of false information.
When I was younger with small children I did alot of research into natural medicines and we must always remember that even natural remedies are real medicines ie: penicilin, aspirin, senna, digitalis. People think since it is homeopathic they can pop as much as they want. Even a plant derived product can be dangerous. Camomile is harmless but digitalis can be deadly.
I believe in the American Indians practice of medicine and not the more popular Asian practices of
medicine.
I agree with all you have said and I hope we all become better informed. I am the worst patient because I trust no one and question everything. Bad habit, good learning experience.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:35:35 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU! Even I am naive about sources of information! I suppose the thing about the internet I like is the accessibility to varying perspectives with relative ease. Still, you are absolutely correct to always have a certain amount of caution. Love it!!
I'm off to play with the kids. We are mowing on the tractor today!Yipppeeee!! Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  2:19:58 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to mow, it is still 30 degrees here. Sorry, my mom always tells me I get on a "soap box" and my husband says he could never run for office with me as his wife. I try very hard not to offend people but... I hope I did not offend you.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  06:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Marianne, HECK NO!! You did not offend me in the least!! I absolutely love the discussion!With all due respect to your husband and mom though, why is it that women with sound opinions who have the courge to voice them are so offensive? There are so many elements of our culture that are still so oppressive to women and this is just one of them. Is it that we haven't learned the art of diplomatic speaking? Is it that we become too unfeminine? I don't know but gosh, I hear this kind of thing a lot. I say, "you go girl with your opinions...offend away.. and let others deal with their own insecurities!!" Imagine if we didn't have outspoken women through the course of history. We wouldn't be able to vote and we would still be considered property of our husbands with no more legal rights than our children. EEEECKS!!! No thank you! Like I said, I love honest considerate discussion and you have definitely provided that!
Have a fabulous day, Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2006 :  08:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Julia, thanks so much for the ear info, I've learned so much. That ear is an amazing thing.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  12:24:58 PM  Show Profile
I know I'm late to the topic, but I'd just like to add my testimonial. I'm a big skeptic, but I've had my ears candled several times with great results. I am prone to ear infections and vertigo, and I've found that getting my ears candled when I have vertigo makes the vertigo go away immediately and dramatically. My experience has been very positive.

Julia, feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I can feel when the process is being done, that not only is the wax and fluid being pulled out of my outer ear (I've seen fluid on the candle strip after the process is done, so I know it's drawing out some fluid), but I also feel my eustacean tubes open and drain while the process is going on. So I think that my ear is draining in two directions, one out of my ear through the candle, and one down my throat through the eustacean tube. Either way, I've noticed a dramatic reduction in pain and dizziness from mild ear infections after getting my ears candled, and I've been able to get away without antibiotics.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic ear candling Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page